The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Turning Around Vancouvers Prospect Pool

Kack Zassian

We have arguably the worst prospect pool in the NHL

- Nick Jensen and Zack Kassian should become top-6 forwards but likely won't be stars in the league

- Chris Tanev and Kevin Connauton could become top-4 NHL d-men... but unlikely as top pairing guys.

- Jordan Schroeder could be a very boom/bust prospect

- Eddie Lack while ready to be a backup is still a question mark as a future starter

- This is what picking late in the 1st round does to a prospect pool. Not many future stars in the mix.

However there is a good chance we can leapfrog a lot of teams in the near future

- Justin Schultz potentially signing with us would give us a blue chip d-man (HF has him ranked 25)

- A trade with Toronto could see us land Nazem Kadri (ranked 38 by hockeysfuture)

- Nick Bjugstad could be a target in a Luongo trade (ranked 33 by HF)

- We could also see strong prospects such as Ashton, Colborne, Howden coming our way.

After A Potential Luongo Trade

- We could add to our prospect pool 2 top 50 prospects

(yes HF isn't 100% accurate, but still a decent evaluation of prospects)

So instead of our top 5 prospects being like

- Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Tanev, Lack

It could look something like

- Schultz, Kadri, Kassian, Jensen, Ashton

And arguably give us a top-10 prospect pool while being a cup-contender.

Don't let the HF rating blind you.They are never accurate. I do not want Kadri.

I would like it if Gillis would continue looking to sign free agent college kids to hopefully round out the prospect pool. If you want to contend for the cup, you aren't going to get many top picks. Your prospect pool isn't suppose to be superior. I'd be fine with the way it is, if the Canucks can stay competitive.

You don't trade Luongo for prospects, if you are a contending team. You trade Luongo for roster players. It's win now mode, not rebuild mode. The exception is clear space to sign a couple free agents, but this year, the free agent pool is limited. Aside from adding a veteran defense man, there's nothing really out there.

Don't let the HF rating blind you.They are never accurate. I do not want Kadri.

I would like it if Gillis would continue looking to sign free agent college kids to hopefully round out the prospect pool. If you want to contend for the cup, you aren't going to get many top picks. Your prospect pool isn't suppose to be superior. I'd be fine with the way it is, if the Canucks can stay competitive.

You don't trade Luongo for prospects, if you are a contending team. You trade Luongo for roster players. It's win now mode, not rebuild mode. The exception is clear space to sign a couple free agents, but this year, the free agent pool is limited. Aside from adding a veteran defense man, there's nothing really out there.

I like the idea of adding to the prospect pool, but the only prospects I'd be interested in are Tatar, or Nyquist in Detroit and Howden ,Matthias and Bjugstad in Florida. If we picked up a few of them, imagine our top 6 in a couple years.

Nyquist-Bjugstad-Jensen

Howden-Gaunce-Kassian

Tatar-Matthias-____

Ya... Hockey's Future isn't exactly qualified or accurate in their assumptions.

I will acknowledge one of your points, that we don't have a top line forward or top 2 defenseman in our system. Obtaining one of these players almost always means drafting in the top 15, something I hope the Canucks won't have to do for many years down the road.

In the mean time, the Canucks seem to be excellent at getting goaltending; Lack for basically free and Cannata looks promising. If it comes to it our depth of goaltending prospects can be moved for other players.

Another intangible is Gradin. He chose Rodin a little while back, and I wouldn't sell this kid short, few people seem to realize that a majority of his points last season were collected in his last 14 games. Regardless, I have faith in our management, certainly more so than the Nonis era of Tommi Santala.

Ya... Hockey's Future isn't exactly qualified or accurate in their assumptions.

I will acknowledge one of your points, that we don't have a top line forward or top 2 defenseman in our system. Obtaining one of these players almost always means drafting in the top 15, something I hope the Canucks won't have to do for many years down the road.

In the mean time, the Canucks seem to be excellent at getting goaltending; Lack for basically free and Cannata looks promising. If it comes to it our depth of goaltending prospects can be moved for other players.

Another intangible is Gradin. He chose Rodin a little while back, and I wouldn't sell this kid short, few people seem to realize that a majority of his points last season were collected in his last 14 games. Regardless, I have faith in our management, certainly more so than the Nonis era of Tommi Santala.

Why the hate for Kadri? He dominated juniors, has been nearly a PPG in the AHL and produced respectably in his limited NHL time. Is it because hes a Leafs prospect?

Since a Luongo trade is likely with either Florida or Toronto neither team really has players who can give Vancouver immediate help (guys like Kulemin/Upshall are sort of marginal upgrades on a guy like Raymond)

If we have a strong prospect pool, it gives us assets we could move at a later date for help

(ie move Schroeder at the deadline for a a player like Ott, without seriously mortgaging the future).

While adding free agent college players has worked out in the past to a certain extent, your not likely to find any star players that route.

So maybe a package is based around Colborne and Ashton or something to that effect.

The point is, its not out o the question to believe that our prospect pool could be turned around in the near future.

I prefer Kadri to Colborne since he has had more

success at the AHL level (hard to compare NCAA to OHL).

Between Schultz and the return on Luongo we could potentially be looking at adding 2-3 "top 5 prospects" to our pool and having a deep, strong group of young players.

If we could land Bjugstad in a Luongo trade and sign Schultz, suddenly we have a very good prospect pool that's deep at center, deep on wing, deep on offensive and defensive defencemen, and deep in goal.

Kassian Bjugstad Jensen

Labate Schroeder Rodin

Sweatt Gaunce Mallet

Blomstrand Friesen Grenier

Tanev Schultz

Sauve Connauton

McNally Corrado

Lack

Cannata

Outside of Bjugstad and Schultz, I would not want any of the players you listed.

Kadri is looking like a big dissapointment, I have doubts he'll be anything better than a decent 2nd liner. Whereas Ashton, Howden, and Colbourne were never really expected to be much above good checking line players. What it would take to get them would not be worth whatever we would have to give up as a team whose best shot at winning is now.

The problem with your idea is that you still think that Canucks have a poor prospect pool because you looked at HockeyFutures. Don't you think, the prospect pool just went to another level from the draft?

1) A high end defensive prospect is able to sign with a team of his choosing, and lots of speculation is it will be Vancouver.

2) We are about to move a franchise goaltender via trade and its not unreasonable to think we could land 1-2 solid prospects.

The problem with your idea is that you still think that Canucks have a poor prospect pool because you looked at HockeyFutures. Don't you think, the prospect pool just went to another level from the draft?

I think we are underestimating our own prospect pool here.

Frankie Corrado - Has shown great promise and was one of my surprises at last years prospect camp. He has been given a contract. He has still got long ways to go but one day he might be in the NHL.

Yann Sauve - He has raw talent and he dropped in the rankings late in his draft year. When he saw NHL time he did not look out of place what so ever.

David Honzik - Had a rough year but he also has raw talent that just needs time to prosper - he is however a long shot to make the NHL.

Patrick McNally - Another guy that other teams passed on, smart kid, going to Harvard next year and has talent.

I could go on but I like our prospects, would it look better if we had people like Bjugstad and Kadri, yes, but we have been a team that consistently are in the playoffs so our prospect pool will reflect that. We are in win now mode, we can worry about the future later on.

in a potential Luongo trade I expect there to be a roster player coming in return, a solid former 1st rounder and a draft pick coming in return.

Archived