The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Loungo gets traded, who backs up Schneider?

Blood Fiend

The bandwagoneer groupies will have Ginger love for maybe half a season and then they will eat him up and spit him out just like every other goalie we've had. Hell, if they can do it to the most successful goalie in Canuck history, ginger stands no chance. I feel bad for what he's going to endure.

You can forget the Stanley Cup in this lifetime kids. Luongo was one of the key elements that gave us a chance.

Let's be clear.

We are NOT heading into a Best Goalie and Best Backup situation if Lu leaves. ...............Our goalie standard even if Schneider IS as good as Lu is, over a whole season, will be weakened a lot by Lack (just now) and a good bit by going out and spending money for an experienced backup.

This is why this move NEVER made any sense to me.

Lu has the "broadest shoulders" (I genuinely think that's why Cory got on so well with him) in the league and would quite happily carry us through virtually a whole season. Cory has shown signs he is very good ..........but yet to prove it over a pressure cooker season...............could we expect Lack to carry the load if Cory is misfiring?.........I doubt it. So we weaken the whole scenario of ditching Lu and sticking with Cory, by spending money on someone who is likely to be reliable.

Meanwhile (man, I see this happening) Lu goes to SC glory because someone puts a defence which actually defends in front of him.

Whoever backs up Schneider (if that's what ends up happening) better be good. If they aren't, you'll see Cory getting more and more starts and he's hasn't proven that he can handle a Luongo-type workload. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.

Archived