The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

parise's signing bonus is wow

Team I want him to sign with : WILD ==> very unlikely to happen but I'd like to see him come back home to Minnesota

Teams I'd rather see signing him : NYR, Blackhawks , Canucks , Avalanche , Capitals

Teams I really don't want to sign him : Penguins, Detroit , Los Angeles, Flyers, Boston Bruins , NJD, NYI , Toronto

Realistically I think New York Rangers will sign him

Unfortunately free agents almost always get overpaid. I'd much rather have Alex Edler at around 5 million (assuming that's how much he signs his extension) then Ryan Suter at 6 million ++ depending. I'd also rather have Ryan Kesler at 5 million then Parise at 7-8 million (rumoured what his asking price is). I think we will end up seing Gillis either getting lucky with a big name FA or going the trade route if he ends up improving the top 6 or top 4 of this team.

The high signing bonus is simply his way of making sure he gets his cash. You'll see this with most FA this year, and we saw it with a few last year (Ehrhoff, Richards, even Bieksa had large SB).

With possible changes to the CBA, it could change how much players make (ie last lockout players took a cut). Parise (and his agent) just want to make sure they get they're cash upfront.

Archived