The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks looking for center

Iono if anyone else has mentioned him but I would love Gilbert Brule for 1mil as a depth player, sort of what Ebbett was for us this year and what Tambillini was the year before that.

It's a risk/reward type thing.

You could say the risk is high because of his history with injuries, but his salary would be low, so IMO the risk is medium. But the thing is, the reward could be very high.

If you're the team that jumps on this guy and he has his first full season of being healthy, it would be a very valuable signing. The guy has a ton of size and skill and is still only 24. Former 8th overall pick to boot.

Could be a prototypical Gillis signing.

Not a very inpsiring group of center UFAs

Hank

Kesler

Lapierre

Malhotra

Schroeder

Gaunce

Mallet

(Bjugstad?)

Not that urgent to sign anyone via UFA - not many potential upgrades over giving Schroeder a shot.

I'd be interested in Jokinen at 1 or 2 years max, low cap hit (at his current or lower cap hit ), and willing to play a depth role - in other words not that likely.

As a longshot I might take a chance on Brule at half or less than his current cap hit - good depth/short term/insurance option with potential to surprise- physical guy for his size, and could be interesting to see on a line with Hansen and Higgins.

Otherwise, try to add Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, and go into the season as is. Can always make a move later if necessary, but between Lappy, Malhotra and Schroeder the Canucks bottom six will be just as well off once Kesler returns as it was going into last season with Hodgson.

I'd say use the bulk of the existing cap space to go after Doan.

Definitely pros and cons to Dominic Moore coming here. Other than the obvious Bertuzzi connection. Awesome in TB's last playoff run. Meh in SJ's. Personal issues.

Trading Raymond for a 3rd line center may be an option. We already have enough wingers in the bottom 6, and we clearly need to upgrade a top 6 winger spot.

Might be an option, but I'm not sure who's available.

Ebbett signed, I sincerely hope that isn't considered "job done" by MG. He hasn't replaced Ehrhoff or Hodgson since they left and these quality depth guys are needed at the 2 most important positions on the team - defence and center.

Mueller would be perfect for around 3 million and his size is attractive. With the remaining 3 million MG could sign a guy like Vandemeer or Colaicovo or Kubina for depth on the blueline too and we're playoff-ready.

I'd be really happy with an Arnott signing!

We need to get a top six center via trade cause the best three solutions on the free agent market other than Jason Arnott are all gone.... i am really happy with the Garrison signing but i thought that we should have gone after a checking center earlier today.

Archived