The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense - which left-handed defenseman will play on the right side?

Mookie Wilson

After having signed Garrison and lost Salo, we now have 5 left-handed defensemen and 2 right-handed defensemen:

Left-handed: Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts

Right-handed: Bieksa, Tanev

With that in mind, does anybody have any idea whether Garrison is comfortable on the right side? If not, it looks someone will be playing out of position...

...or we will be trading for Weber.

I'm still not comfortable with Tanev and Ballard. Both are tiny guys who bring next to no offence and aren't exactly solid in their own end. We still need another top-4 defenceman, because defence wins championships and we went the furthest our team has ever gone with 5 bonified top-4 defencemen.

I'm still not comfortable with Tanev and Ballard. Both are tiny guys who bring next to no offence and aren't exactly solid in their own end. We still need another top-4 defenceman, because defence wins championships and we went the furthest our team has ever gone with 5 bonified top-4 defencemen.

In 2010-11 he played on the left side next to Weaver. Last year he played on the right side (at even strength) beside Campbell. He plays effectively on either side - currently the only Nucks d-man who can do this.

I bet Gillis picks up another natural righty and lefty as depth.

I'm a touch sad.

Yesterday I posted that picking up Garrison makes no sense unless we do not re-sign Salo. But seeing as...

And if Garrison improves it will be a good improvement on what we could expect from Salo at this age, and add's speed.

It does leave us a conundrum. We still need a puck rushing D and a big beastly defensive body! This just upgrades Salo.

So we probably will still move a left side D, presumably Ballard. That leaves a spot for K Connauton to break in and provide the speed (and another shot) on the left side. Then fill a right side role by trading Ballard or Lou for another young stud. Not available? Add Souray as a veteran journeyman!

PS Down Unda > Ballard is the same size as Hamhuis and bigger than Bieksa. Tanev? I worry out loud and post semi regularly that people expect more than they should from him. He is 185 lbs after gaining 15 lbs with Gary Roberts last summer. Pretty small for a shut down D. I see Tanev as a fill player, albeit a very good one.

In 2010-11 he played on the left side next to Weaver. Last year he played on the right side (at even strength) beside Campbell. He plays effectively on either side - currently the only Nucks d-man who can do this.

I bet Gillis picks up another natural righty and lefty as depth.

edler-garrison

in florida it was campbell on the left side on the pp feeding garrison for the one timer on the right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VnVHLberA

when ehrhoff was here it was the same thing but it was edler on the left side feeding ehrhoff for the one timer on the right side

who says garrison cant cant replace ehrhoff on that right side??? and have just as much success

I would rather have Ballard on D than Connaughton.

Garrison can play the right side-every d man can make the switch,

However,the team needs a Norris candidate right hander.

I would rather see Sauve up as depth over Kevin C.

Lefties; Alberts, Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Connauton, Sauve

Righties ; Bieksa, Tanev

I think we need to have a natural righty back there. It is all well and good having a left play right, but Garrison is now getting paid big bucks, if he is to be at his best, you have to allow him to play his natural side. There are other righties out there but not of the calibre of Sami Salo unfortunately.

I'm a touch sad.

Yesterday I posted that picking up Garrison makes no sense unless we do not re-sign Salo. But seeing as...

And if Garrison improves it will be a good improvement on what we could expect from Salo at this age, and add's speed.

It does leave us a conundrum. We still need a puck rushing D and a big beastly defensive body! This just upgrades Salo.

So we probably will still move a left side D, presumably Ballard. That leaves a spot for K Connauton to break in and provide the speed (and another shot) on the left side. Then fill a right side role by trading Ballard or Lou for another young stud. Not available? Add Souray as a veteran journeyman!

PS Down Unda > Ballard is the same size as Hamhuis and bigger than Bieksa. Tanev? I worry out loud and post semi regularly that people expect more than they should from him. He is 185 lbs after gaining 15 lbs with Gary Roberts last summer. Pretty small for a shut down D. I see Tanev as a fill player, albeit a very good one.

Archived