The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Brodeur gets a 2-Year Contract with NJD

Martin Brodeur will remain a Devil.

Reports surfaced early Monday morning that Brodeur, 40, re-signed with the New Jersey Devils for two years and $9 million. He confirmed that he is indeed returning to New Jersey in an interview with ESPN.com's Pierre Lebrun.

"It was great the Devils stepped up,'' Brodeur told ESPN.com. "You have to understand what's happening obviously with the ownership situation and with what's happening with Zach (Parise). I understood that. I'm just happy this got done."

Brodeur, who recently completed a six-year contract that paid him $5.2 million annually, hired agent Pat Brisson to represent him in free agency and was thought to be entertaining offers from other teams.

Chicago and Toronto reportedly were involved in the discussions, but Brodeur never once stated a desire to leave New Jersey and now he is returning to the team with which he has set numerous NHL records, including most wins, shutouts, and minutes played by a goaltender.

The two-year deal most likely will allow Brodeur to finish his career with the only NHL team he's ever played for. It also will give him a legitimate shot at reaching 700 wins.

"Deep down what I always wanted was to re-sign with New Jersey," he said. "I'm glad the Devils stepped up when they did. As the process went on I was certainly intrigued by what was out there. But this is really what I wanted."

Brodeur cashed in after leading New Jersey to the Stanley Cup Final for the fifth time in his career and the first time since 2003. They lost in Game 6 to the Los Angeles Kings, but Brodeur posted 14 wins, a 2.12 goals-against average and .917 save percentage in the postseason. He went 31-21-4 with a .908 save percentage and 2.41 GAA in the regular season.

In 1,191 games, all with New Jersey, Brodeur has 656 wins, 119 shutouts and a career .913 save percentage and 2.23 GAA.

The next step for New Jersey is to just wait and hope Parise, also an unrestricted free agent, decides to take its offer instead of one of the many others he received Sunday.

Parise is expected to make his decision Monday.

Archived