The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison: A replacement or an upgrade on Salo?

six-0h-four-

Sami Salo  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Salo was a class guy and put up some solid play for Vancouver. Too bad he couldn't retire a Canuck but hopefully he will be endorsed in the Ring Of Honour.

I like the move to make the defense younger and grittier. Garrison is a big man who can move players parked in our crease and as much as I loved Salo, he wasn't all that physical.

What we are going to miss is a right shooting dman and for that reason, I wish that we could have kept Salo for one more year.

This is a good move for Salo because he has a contract for 2 yrs at decent money....he deserves it. Good luck Sammy and thank you.

agree- after playing here for 9 years, accepting a discount last season, MG should have given him 2 years. i though MG wants to be like detroit? well, detroit will be loyal and will sign their veterans for 2 years if they ask. and we still need Sami. He's still reliable and was the glue to our dmen.

i wish sami the best of luck in tampa. hope he stays healthy. he will be terribly missed.

Garrison isn't really a replacement, he's just different.

Sami was just so quietly good at defense that you didn't really realize it until later. He wasn't the kind of guy who'd throw the big hit or rub a guy out, but somehow he was always in the right place and he always made the right play with the puck. Of course, offensively we all know what he was capable of.

I think Garrison is closer to Bieksa, big guy who can play mean with some offense to boot... whether he's as prone to boneheadedness as Bieksa can be, we'll have to wait and see.

Garrison isn't really a replacement, he's just different.

Sami was just so quietly good at defense that you didn't really realize it until later. He wasn't the kind of guy who'd throw the big hit or rub a guy out, but somehow he was always in the right place and he always made the right play with the puck. Of course, offensively we all know what he was capable of.

I think Garrison is closer to Bieksa, big guy who can play mean with some offense to boot... whether he's as prone to boneheadedness as Bieksa can be, we'll have to wait and see.

He's an upgrade as far as being younger, more durable...

Similar shot from the point being younger again might point to being an upgrade.

We lose out on Sami's veteran experience and defensive abilities IMO.

Think we still need a stay at home D-man with size.

Garrison is more of a replacement for what we lost in Ehrhoff than in Salo. Salo was an all around great D-man. He'll be hard if not impossible to replace. I view this more of a chance to replace the blue line success we had in the 2010-2011 season when Salo was injured for the season. I think MG is betting Garrison could potentially be a 50+ point guy in the same way Ehrhoff was.

I don't think we should compare in terms of upgrade or downgrade till they actually play on our team. Every player is different and fit differently with different line mates. Maybe he'll be a better fit for our D pairings?

lol... you guys. :picard:

Jason Garrison is a defensive defenseman who found his offensive abilities last year playing with Campbell on the PP. He has a hard shot, but that's not what he's really known as. He's known as a very consistent shutdown player. He may get a lot of points on the PP with the Sedins, but he may not. What should be expected is around 10G 15A 25PTS, anything more is just extra.

EDIT: Actually shouldn't say stay at home, he's a defensive defenceman, though. He pinches sometimes.

EDIT2: Check out this thread on HFBoards to find out what FLA fans thought of him and his play:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1222019

agree- after playing here for 9 years, accepting a discount last season, MG should have given him 2 years. i though MG wants to be like detroit? well, detroit will be loyal and will sign their veterans for 2 years if they ask. and we still need Sami. He's still reliable and was the glue to our dmen.

i wish sami the best of luck in tampa. hope he stays healthy. he will be terribly missed.

lol... you guys. :picard:

Jason Garrison is a defensive defenseman who found his offensive abilities last year playing with Campbell on the PP. He has a hard shot, but that's not what he's really known as. He's known as a very consistent shutdown player. He may get a lot of points on the PP with the Sedins, but he may not. What should be expected is around 10G 15A 25PTS, anything more is just extra.

EDIT: Actually shouldn't say stay at home, he's a defensive defenceman, though. He pinches sometimes.

EDIT2: Check out this thread on HFBoards to find out what FLA fans thought of him and his play:

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1222019

As much as I love Salo, Garrison's an upgrade.

Hopefully he stays that way...the $4.6 mill cap hit I can sorta live with (especially considering the raised cap ceiling), but I'm still a little iffy on the whole 6 year deal for one great two-way season. We don't want a Ville Leino situation going on...

Garrison is more of a replacement for what we lost in Ehrhoff than in Salo. Salo was an all around great D-man. He'll be hard if not impossible to replace. I view this more of a chance to replace the blue line success we had in the 2010-2011 season when Salo was injured for the season. I think MG is betting Garrison could potentially be a 50+ point guy in the same way Ehrhoff was.

Archived