The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] July 8th/9th

Sign Shane Doan - he said he'll make his decision on July 8th, may carry over to the 9th depending on how long it'll take him to finalize the decision.

Simple breakdown on what to offer him:

1 year x $5.75 million

2 years x $5 million per year

3 years x $4.75 million per year

The more years, the less annual cap hit, the less years, the more cap. I say we got with 2 years, $10 million - $5 mill per year - because he is 36 and MG won't offer anyone over 35 3 years, Doan won't want 1 year, so both parties come to agreement in the middle.

Doan obviously wants out of Phoenix because his career is coming to its end, and he wants to win a Cup before he retires. Vancouver is the best fit for him because we are a Canadian team, he will likely want to play for a Canadian team more than an American team, and because we are the best team in the NHL and best Canadian team at that. Right now with rumour circulation, there are 3 main teams in the race for him, and they are Winnipeg, Chicago, and our very own Vancouver. Winnipeg is the least likely team to land him because if Doan signed there, he would be taking a step back as Phoenix is better than the Jets, Chicago and Vancouver are really the only 2 realistic teams with a shot to sign him in my mind. Chicago is just a good fit for him, and so is Vancouver. If he were to sign in Chicago, they would have too many top 6 players (Hossa, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Bolland, then Doan) and it would minimize Doan's role on the team. He's not the type of player that will lower his standard of play because of age or anything, he's a competitor,will go hard, and want to be a big contributor to his teams success. With Vancouver, we need a winger for Kesler. Our top line is set with the twins and Burr, but our 2nd line is not. Doan can put us over the top, and he would have a bigger role here than in Chi-Town. Him there wouldn't really improve the Hawks offense much because they are already so good and set with top 6 players. Here, we are in need of a top 6 player and Doan would improve a lot! This is my explanation to why he'll sign here.

With this, this is how the team roster would look like come July 8th/9th if Doan signs here, and no other transactions are made to effect the NHL roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Higgins - Schroeder - Kassian

Malhotra - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond, Ebbett, Pinizzotto, Volpatti

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Connauton, Sauve

Luongo

Schneider

This is a roster than can bring the Cup to Vancouver once and for all, and not to mention, more upgrades can be made on the team up top by signing some depth d-men as we need them, and with a possible Luongo trade which would give us other assets to use on D or O. Doan signing here will put us over the top, and its why he should sign here as signing with any other team (Chicago) won't put them over the top as much as it will with us as we need him with our incomplete 2nd line.

At this point I will offer like 5.5 - 6 for him, maybe even 6.5 if we thought he would accept it for sure. And I would offer two years.

Getting him would surley put us over the top, him and the Sedins would be unstoppable. even if we overpay by 500k or 1Mill it really isn't that big of a deal, plus he is worth it.

We overpayed for Manny and he's a bottom 6 forward. So why not overpay for a really good top 6 forward for once.

Shane Doan

Is exactly what THIS team needs. Leadership, veteran presence and a bruising skilled right winger that could help mentor our young up and coming players like Jensen and Kassian. Would fit perfectly in the Canucks' top 6 either with the Sedins or Kesler and give a new look. Has plenty left in the tank at 35. All heart and grit and a proven 20+ goal scorer year after year. If the yotes are unable to sign him I hope we can land Doan. As much as I want to see him in WPG he won't win a cup there any time soon. He deserves to win the cup on a Canadian team *cough* Vancouver B)

Maybe... both because Doan (as mentioned) may not want to leave Phoenix (much like Brodeur signing back in N.J. to finish his career); also, it's not that he wouldn't be valuable here in terms of leadership and the hard-nosed style he plays, but the team may already have guys like him, and in order to get Shane the team'll have to overpay. Seeing how the team still has somewhat of a hole in the 3rd line center position, if MG wants to address that with an FA the money may need to be spent there (though trading a goalie for a strong 3rd line center with upside definitely works for me). Also, I don't know if it'll be smart to bring in Doan when Booth (over whom Shane will be an upgrade, don't get me wrong) hasn't had the time to gel with the Twins yet, and adding yet another big ticket forward could really tie up the team's future financial situation.

Optimally:

Twins - Booth

Burr - Kes - Doan

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

- Manny - Kassian

Hammer - Juice

Edler - Garrison

- Tanev

Schneider

(backup)

if Ballard, Raymond and Lu (that would free up $5.3 + $4.2 + $2.2 = $11.7M) get moved for lower-priced salaries (3rd line center, Jay Harrison +) then I would be more comfortable with the team signing Shane; otherwise, when it comes time to re-signing Burr, Higgins, Lapierre and Edler they'll need that money next off-season.

I would love to sign Doan and could see it happening if the Phoenix ownership situation isn't resolved.

If it were to happen, Booth or Doan would have to go with the Sedins and Burrows down to the second line. Doan, Kesler and Booth are all too similar of players.

Archived