The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Thief Bev Oda Stepping Down (Finally)

Magikal

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1220735--international-development-minister-bev-oda-resigns-as-conservative-mp-for-durham

OTTAWA—International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda is resigning from cabinet and stepping down as Conservative MP for Durham.

Oda made the announcement on her

website Tuesday, saying that she informed Prime Minister Stephen Harper of her decision two weeks ago.

Her resignation takes effect on July 31.

“For over eight years, it has been an honour and privilege to have served the constituents in Clarington, Scugog and Uxbridge,” Oda said in the press release posted to her website Tuesday.

“As the Minister for International Co-operation, I have had the opportunity to witness the hardships of the world’s most vulnerable peoples and have witnessed the great compassion of Canadians for those in need,” Oda said.

“I am grateful for the support of my staff and colleagues in the House of Commons and Senate. I wish to express my appreciation to the Prime Minister and his Cabinet for their outstanding leadership,” said Oda.

The minister responsible for the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) landed herself in hot water recently when it was revealed that she had upgraded from a

five-star hotelto an even fancier one while attending a conference in London, England last year.

She also expensed a $16 glass of orange juice and nearly $3,000 to be driven around the city in a luxury

car.

Oda reimbursed the taxpayers for the

extra money but has not explained why she made the switch.

She has also stayed silent on why some of the

travel and hospitality expenses for other trips were amended after they were posted to the proactive disclosure section of the CIDA website.

Oda was elected in 2004 and has been the minister for international development since 2007.

Her resignation will bolster speculation that Harper is preparing to shuffle his cabinet again this summer.

Harper issued a press release Tuesday that confirmed Oda had informed him of her choice two weeks ago.

“Under Bev’s guidance, Canada has led a significant initiative to save the lives of mothers, children and newborns in the developing world. Bev has also promoted accountability and effectiveness for Canada’s aid programs and has championed high-profile efforts to respond to humanitarian tragedies in Haiti, Pakistan and the Horn of Africa. Through Bev’s leadership, Canada has also met, ahead of schedule, its commitment to double aid to Africa. This is a record of which to be proud,” Harper said in the statement emailed to media Tuesday.

Good Riddance.

Useless cow. Hopefully she gets bitter about it and starts exposing the other large piles of BS that Harper is attempting to hide.

Let's raise a toast to Mrs. Oda for her services, a $16 glass of karma should do.

orange_juice.jpg

I know this sounds weird, but at least she paid the taxpayers back. I don't know her at all so I'm not going to judge at all, but you hear stories like this all the time where they just shrug it off and wait for it to die down. At least she made an effort to fix what she did. Maybe thats what politics is coming to, anything less than the worst is acceptable? lol

I know this sounds weird, but at least she paid the taxpayers back. I don't know her at all so I'm not going to judge at all, but you hear stories like this all the time where they just shrug it off and wait for it to die down. At least she made an effort to fix what she did. Maybe thats what politics is coming to, anything less than the worst is acceptable? lol

Bev Oda's Qualifications

Member of a minority group - Female, Japanese Canadian Heritage - Check

Education - Bachelor of Arts Degree - Check

Professional Experience - Journalist, Member of Film Review Board - Check

Controversy - Allegations surrounding corrupt campaign fundraising practices - Check

Abuse of Tax Payer Dollars - 15 dollar Orange Juice, thousands in Limousine rides - Check

This person was a member of parliament for eight years, rose to a cabinet position, and is now entitled to receive a substantial pension for the rest of her life for her eight years of service for our country.

I would suggest to people that she is representative of everything wrong with our system and politics. Was she the best person for the job and qualified more so than other potential candidates? Certainly NOT.

Would a male who wasn't a visible minority been given the same opportunities as she was? No.

She was an incompetent pawn used by other, smarter, people in the Conservative Party to further their own agenda and in the process received a free ticket for the rest of her life.

I want the best people to be our politicians, especially at the highest levels (e.g. cabinet ministers). I don't care if that means the best people are disabled Jamaican-Canadian women who are also Muslim. The point is that one's ethnicity, gender, religion, etc. should not be the determining factor in who our leaders are.

Archived