The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on TEAM1040 this morning

He was apparently already on it, so I missed it... Found an okay summary though.

On free agents:

“We were comfortable going one year at a time with Sami… Players in that category (over 35) even if they decide not to play they’re still on your cap, so we felt for our purposes a one year term was best, felt that the free agent group was going to be much stronger next summer.”

Gillis > CDC - management is already taking next summers free agent group into consideration. That's a huge step ahead of, 'ohnoez trade luongo and signs all da free agents!' maybe one day people will get a grip and relax. Once something falls from the sky then the sky is falling.

Gillis > CDC - management is already taking next summers free agent group into consideration. That's a huge step ahead of, 'ohnoez trade luongo and signs all da free agents!' maybe one day people will get a grip and relax. Once something falls from the sky then the sky is falling.

I know this speculating a long ways down the road, but suppose they are planning on throwing a lot of cash at Weber, with Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, and (assuming he isn't traded) Ballard all set with long term deals, I guess that means Edler's the odd one out... That would be pretty awesome though, unless Suter picks Nashville then I bet Weber stays. He mentioned something about wanting to play his whole career with Suter if he could I think.

I don't see what he'd be planning for next year if they extend Edler, since we'd have a top 4 of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, and Garrison all making over 4 million, as well as Ballard on the 3rd pair making 4 million... They'd have to be looking at getting rid of one of the top 4, if they were going to bring in a different high end free agent D next year.

I wouldn't see that being Hamhuis or Garrison, who both signed lower dollar deals to come here as UFA's... so Bieksa or Edler would have to get moved to make room for a Weber or other high end D.

Edler would be the best trade bait, and honestly I wouldn't even be against him being moved in a deal that brought us back a real top 6 forward this offseason. I'd be fine using Hamhuis/Bieksa, Garrison/Ballard, Tanev/Connaughton or whoever...

What the crap are you saying Gillis? Your just full of the BS every day, didn't want to sign Salo because you were worried he wouldn't play in the last year and you would be stuck with his cap hit? Yet you signed Luongo until he was what... 43 and your not worried about him sitting out maybe 4 years of that and being stuck with the salary cap?

Gillis = FAIL

Edit: As stated according to the CBA if Luongo does retire the Salary Cap doesn't stay on the cap, still Gillis offered Mats Sundin 10 million a year knowing his was well over 35+. Was Mats Sundin even close to be making 10 million a year? not a chance, but somehow in Gillis eyes he was, but Salo wasn't good enough for a 2 year contract.

What the crap are you saying Gillis? Your just full of the BS every day, didn't want to sign Salo because you were worried he wouldn't play in the last year and you would be stuck with his cap hit? Yet you signed Luongo until he was what... 43 and your not worried about him sitting out maybe 4 years of that and being stuck with the salary cap?

Gillis = FAIL

Gillis = FAIL

Archived