The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign Alex Semin

Hey guys! First time poster here.

I am probably in a very small groupby saying this but I think MG sould go after Semin. I was watching a video about him on NHL.com and they showed a stat that I don't think many people know about him:

post-91811-0-79420600-1341340860_thumb.p

If you can't see the pic it reads:

+/- Leaders Over Last 4 Seasons (Forwards):

1. Alexandre Burrows +107

2. Henrik Sedin +106

3. Daniel Sedin +104

4. Alexander Semin +92

5. Pavel Datsyuk +83

The guy is a pure goal scorer but he can play defence as well, and having a +/- like that on a team like the Capitals is unreal. His +/- is better than Datsyuk! I would love too see this guy on the first line with the Sedins where I think he would put up at least 30 goals. I know it would be risky to sign a guy like Semin but the reward would be great. He has one of the best wrist shots in the league and he would also help out our PP. And who knows, maybe being on a defferent team will motivate him more. He has the potential to be a star and I think it is worth a risk.

Link to video: http://video.nhl.com...=183546&lang=en

**Sorry about the pic I can't seem to make it larger**

post-91811-0-79420600-1341340860_thumb.p

He may have an unreal shot but he's truly lazy and figures he has no defensive responsibilities, doesn't back check. If I could take his shot and put it on someone that isn't lazy I'd take him.. Right now... yeeaaa..

Pros:

- as an accurate and fast of a shot you will see

- game breaking skill and talent

- speedy forward who can slice past defenders and open up space for teammates

Cons:

- defense lacking

- lazy at times

- won't sacrifice his body / one dimensional player (offensive player, kinda like Radulov)

Overall:

- Its a big risk, especially when you have to invest big money into him. He will rack up the points without a doubt, but if he doesn't fix his attitude for playing/improving on his 2 way game and effort, it can cause some trouble but nonetheless if he did sign, we'd just have another Raymond, much much much more skilled - one of the slickest forwards in the game - so it wouldn't be that bad.

Personally:

Me personally, I'd get him. Who cares about if he doesn't back check - we need a top 6 forward to improve our goal scoring, Canucks scored 16 goals in past 12 playoff games, and playing alongside Kesler and Booth/Higgins, they're hard working players who can hold off the opposition defending enough for Semin to come back and help them out as much as he can, even if it's nothing, better to have a player infront of an opposition player creating an obstacle.

We need more goal scorers and if Doan doesn't sign with us, Semin would surely be my next top priority to get. If Doan does sign and Lu is gone / even more cap space, I'd still try to get Semin to improve even more.

Semin - Kesler - Doan = unreal.

He may have an unreal shot but he's truly lazy and figures he has no defensive responsibilities, doesn't back check. If I could take his shot and put it on someone that isn't lazy I'd take him.. Right now... yeeaaa..

I don't like his cap hit. He'd be substantially more than Doan and I could picture him doing a lot less for a lot more $. If we got versteeg + Doa, we'd have 4M to sign that third line cente... Doan w/the sedins and versteeg on with booth and kes.... Drop burrows to third and were stacked

I agree with the point about his having talent, and for the right salary (based on inflation I'm guessing $5M+, which would be too much IMO)

However, I disagree with your point about +/-, because the plus/minus stat is based upon being on the ice when a goal is scored in your favor (get the +), and conversely when your team gets scored on while you're on then there's a (-) to you. At least part of that should be accounted for based on the fact that he played with Ovie and Backstrom in their offensive days, when the Caps as a squad were an offensive dynamo. It's not a testament to his individual defense, really-- just that as a whole the core of the Caps was able to score.

Archived