The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nolan Baumgartner to retire from playing

He was a guy who suffered some bad circumstances, only seemed to fit well on the Canucks actually (his stats as a Canuck were so much better than any other shot he got in the NHL) but he got jerked around here (coming to camp and being put on spare forward line instead of getting to try for a spot in your position...) and when he did get his full season and earned a decent contract, he got buried in the minors on a kne jerk reaction in Philly, and they wouldn't bring him up because they said they knew he'd be taken and they'd have to pay half his salary for another team...

I respect how he conducted himself through all that crap and hope he has success coaching.

Baumer was a good Canuck regardless of where he served the team...

He had one of those careers that makes you scratch your head...seemed to have a lot of the tools to be a successful NHLer...great junior career, highly regarded prospect, seemed skilled enough, great attitude, etc., etc., but only 143 NHL games to his resume. There's a disconnect here...

As Canucks fans, I think we all wanted more for him, especially after the 2005-2006 season when he put up very respectable numbers. Not sure what happened after the 2006 season (contract squabble with Burke, maybe?), but he just never seemed to get a fair shake anywhere thereafter. I'm sure he made decent money as a relatively high-paid AHLer, but it would have been good to see him in the NHL.

I'm sure he'll continue to be a good mentor for the young d-prospects we have. Wish him all the best.

Archived