The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Got a new Car(pics), Who knows about car audio?

Blacklabel

I just got a 1980 firebird and as much as I love the car I can't help but be bothered by knowing the speakers and sound system are all 32 years old.

I'm not sure what kind of budget to set for a GOOD sound system, and impressive one, that doesn't break the bank. I know it takes 6 1/2's but also takes 6 1/4s

I was thinking of setting my starting price at around $700-$800

My style of music is FAST metal (things like whitechapel, rose funeral, Nile LoG) as well as rock and some rap, I care more about metal music and classic rock however.

From a bit of research, ive learned that I should look into getting 4 8 inch subs for my style of music as appose to bigger subs, I have room in the trunk as well.

I however, have no clue what kind of speaker set to get, deck to get, amps to get, brands, etc etc.

Can anyone give me a few good examples of some equipment I should look into?

Pic

Fun facts:

-This is one of the 1000 of this model that were made, and may be the only one left

-It features the 301 V8 engine with a TWIN TURBO (the guy special ordered it in this one, they generally only came with a single turbo) that was supposed to phase out the 454 big blocks, but was too expensive, so, this car boasts as powerful as a big block, with the fuel efficiency of a small block.

-This car was not driven for 25 years, and was used as a show car.

-It only has 3000km's.

So say I set up my car with the following parts:

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD

Infinity Reference X REF-6500cfx

JL Audio CP110-W0v3 x 3

Would this be a decent build?

Which amps would you recommend then for the subs as well as the high/mids.

Do you really need four 8'' subs? That kind of base will prevent you from actually listening to the music. Instead you'll just feel your seats rattle around.

At the $700-800 price range, you will not be able to get the required deck, speaker, and amp of sufficient quality to put anything even remotely good in there. As far as subs go, I'd also recommend getting a proper sound engineer to look at and fit your vehicle with a box. If you just throw in 4 boxes, it's going to rattle the frame of the car.

At your price range, I'd suggest going for a much lower powered but better sounding system (IE one that does not feature 4 subs). If your goal is to get people to look at you because all they can hear is the sound of your car fram rattling around, then 4 subs will do the trick.

How many speakers? you dont need to spend that high of a amount. If your in metro-van I would go down to Washington to buy it will save you $$.

Just get a single 12" and a good amp. Goto stereo warehouse n car toyz in Seattle

I just got a 1980 firebird and as much as I love the car I can't help but be bothered by knowing the speakers and sound system are all 32 years old.

I'm not sure what kind of budget to set for a GOOD sound system, and impressive one, that doesn't break the bank. I know it takes 6 1/2's but also takes 6 1/4s

I was thinking of setting my starting price at around $700-$800

My style of music is FAST metal (things like whitechapel, rose funeral, Nile LoG) as well as rock and some rap, I care more about metal music and classic rock however.

From a bit of research, ive learned that I should look into getting 4 8 inch subs for my style of music as appose to bigger subs, I have room in the trunk as well.

I however, have no clue what kind of speaker set to get, deck to get, amps to get, brands, etc etc.

Can anyone give me a few good examples of some equipment I should look into?

Pic

Fun facts:

-This is one of the 1000 of this model that were made, and may be the only one left

-It features the 301 V8 engine with a TWIN TURBO (the guy special ordered it in this one, they generally only came with a single turbo) that was supposed to phase out the 454 big blocks, but was too expensive, so, this car boasts as powerful as a big block, with the fuel efficiency of a small block.

-This car was not driven for 25 years, and was used as a show car.

-It only has 3000km's.

So say I set up my car with the following parts:

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD

Infinity Reference X REF-6500cfx

JL Audio CP110-W0v3 x 3

Would this be a decent build?

Which amps would you recommend then for the subs as well as the high/mids.

I wouldn't do individual sub boxes either,

If you want a decent system start slowly and build it up

Deck and good separates first then sub later on as you can afford it. (maybe JL separates)

I've got 2 JL 10W4D4'S running at 2 ohms and they scared the shlt out of the sales guys when I bought 'em over 10 years ago.

I currently have a Pioneer deck, Focal separates, Rockford Fosgate amps and the JL subs in a single sealed JL box. Fookin' amazing.

Check out Crutchfield.ca for speakers, and Visions has sales from time to time on their alpine stuff.

I Think 4 8inch woofers is not nessacary. If youre thinking more about quality; hitting the highs and lows, i would say one 10 inch would be plenty. If youre looking to be heard. id say 2-12's .

I used to think a loud system was cool.. Then I grew up.

If you're honestly looking for a good quality sound system, you won't need 4 subs. If you're hoping everyone hears you as you approach from block away, 4 subs should do the trick. Just remember those people who hear you will think you're a complete tool. Well, everyone except for 13 year old boys. They might think you're cool.

Don't overload on subs like the civic ricer boiis so all you can hear is the deafening bass blowing from a mile away.

Quality over quantity, get good SPEAKERS and an AMP or 2 before worrying about a sub. If you even do, I'd say 1 10 inch is more then enough for clean and crisp bumps fitting nicely with the rest of the set-up.

1st off, nice car man.

Secondly, four 8"subs is about 2 too many. Get two 10" subs instead man. Doesn't matter which brand really, all subs sounds the same as long as they are hooked up to a decent amplifier.

For speakers I'd recommend Alpine type S or type R. I had type S in the front of my truck and they sounded perfect for any type of music.

I'd recommend a higher quality deck because it gives you more options and freedoms than a lower quality. Might be tough finding a proper harness kit though for your car.

Amps are the most expensive and you might as well buy a big one if you are willing to because it makes a huge difference in power and sound. I would try to get a higher-tier brand like Clarion, Alpine, etc with alot of wattage.

Not to go off topic.

But if its been sitting for that long. I strongly suggest servicing it. Oil change and also STRONGLY suggest you get a fuel system clean. Even if it hasn't been driving for along time, there will be TONES of Carbon build-up and that can ruin the engine, give poor performance and poor mileage.

I did my 97 Mazda MX6 at Midas for $109.00 after tax and gained 50Km's of mileage and noticeable performance.

As for the speakers, I suggest buying them and getting them installed at Visions Electronics on Kingsway. Amazing deals and selection. Honestly you could get a good system for $400-$500 with the deck and installation.

http://www.visions.c...CookieSupport=1

I don't know who told you to do so, but four 8 inch subs is TOTAL overkill and is ridiculous. Especially in a small car, and listening to mostly rock/metal music. All you need is one (high quality) 10 inch and you're good to go, just don't skimp out on the one that you choose and get a good one and it'll still rock your car. You'll probably still end up turning the bass down. Get a decent amp too.

Also you might want to make sure your deck an aux output which comes in handy for ipod/mp3 listening. Much better than the FM transmitters which are not good.

Another thing is maybe, if you can, try not to totally hack up the doors, dash and trunk etc getting this stuff in. Keep the damage down so if you decide to switch directions you arent left with holes everywhere. Ive been into 60s-early 70s cars since the late 80s and have seen so many destroyed dashes and doors its not funny anymore.

And yeah, a 1980 Firebird is a cool car but if the stereo is stock or a aftermarket stereo bought back then it has to go. Soon. Just take your time, buy quality over quantity and maybe save some money down the road for a sub, amp, box and stick to the basics of a quality head unit and pair of 6 1/2 separates to start with.

Archived