The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] With Suter gone, Shea Weber could be on his way out soon

Tystick

Why is everyone so keen on trading away 1st round draft picks? Next year's draft is said to be the deepest since 2003, which basically means a 1st round pick in a draft like that gives you an impact player. Weber is an elite defensemen but only at the right price, why pay for a hot commodity with picks and prospects when you could get him in free agency.

MG to do list:

1. Trade Roberto Luongo

2. Acquire Cody Franson in trade with Toronto

3. Wait till 12/13 season is over

4. Trade Ballard for rights to Shea Weber

5. Sign Weber to 96 mil 12 year contract.

6. Do the happy dance with all of Vancouver

:bigblush::bigblush::bigblush: Fcuk Nashvile! Jk

I would really hate to see Edler go, I think if we could manage to get Weber without giving up Edler, they could be paired together and I see Edler taking his game to the next level. Suter really thrived playing along Weber and they became an huge part of the success Nashville had last season as a shutdown pair. If Nashville would take Bieksa in a package instead, I don't mind parting with Bieksa although he probably has far less value.

For an offer-sheet, I think it may actually work ..if Canucks were to give up two 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, Poile might actually not match because Weber may already have made up his mind and won't return the following season and walking on July 1st. So those picks are better than losing him for nothing.

As mentioned above, a 3-way trade is also a possibility in my opinion. Send Luongo to either Florida/Toronto, and one of them give Nashville their part of the deal and we take the rights of Weber.

I have a strong feeling Weber would take a discount here to play with Hamhuis and close to home, the only reason he demanded for 7.5M+ this season is he is showing he doesn't have interest in staying in Nashville. Weber is exactly what we're missing on this team, a legit big and strong #1 defenseman that can log huge minutes and be used in all situations.

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

As much as I'd LOVE to have Weber play with us I just can't see MG throwing everything including the kitchen sink at him. He's on what, 7.5 this year? I can't see him be wiling to take LESS than that just to play for Vancouver. I struggle to see us re-signing Edler (who's due for what, 5? 5.5?), plus isn't burrows due for a new contract, so 3.5-4 there and on top of that signing Weber to a starting price of 7.5 but more likely 8+. I just don't see it. I think MG will try lure him in FA with a low ball offer using the home town card as his major pulling piece but Weber will sign with Detroit for the big bucks and a serious chance at a cup (not saying we dont offer him that as well).

So which is it? Weber takes a hometown discount to play with his old partner Hammy or he plays with Edler in order to take Edlers game to the 'next level'?

As much as I'd LOVE to have Weber play with us I just can't see MG throwing everything including the kitchen sink at him. He's on what, 7.5 this year? I can't see him be wiling to take LESS than that just to play for Vancouver. I struggle to see us re-signing Edler (who's due for what, 5? 5.5?), plus isn't burrows due for a new contract, so 3.5-4 there and on top of that signing Weber to a starting price of 7.5 but more likely 8+. I just don't see it. I think MG will try lure him in FA with a low ball offer using the home town card as his major pulling piece but Weber will sign with Detroit for the big bucks and a serious chance at a cup (not saying we dont offer him that as well).

If we do get Weber tho but like I just said I don't think we will, no reason why he can't improve Edlers game and take a home town discount?

Archived