The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yann Sauve

Super_Canuck

Anyone know what's happening with this kid? It's been 4 years since he got drafted and still doesn't look like there's any room on the Canucks for him unless there are injuries. I haven't really heard a whole lot about him either, which I guess could mean that he hasn't really made a big impression down in the AHL? He's got pretty good size at 6'3" 220lbs.

So for any of you who maybe pay close attention to the farm team and have seen him play, could you please shed some light on his play? How does he look out there? Does he stand out? Will he ever be a regular in our lineup? Or is he just average who might never be a regular NHL'er? If that's the case, then it would be sad considering he was taken just 2 picks ahead of the one and only Justin Schultz.

Suddenly MG's 2008 draft selections wouldn't look too good, as he missed out on Tyler Myers by picking Hodgson and on Justin schultz by picking Sauve.

Anyone know what's happening with this kid? It's been 4 years since he's been drafted and still doesn't look like there's any room on the Canucks for him unless there are injuries. I haven't really heard a whole lot about him either, which I guess could mean that he hasn't really made a big impression down in the AHL? He's got pretty good size at 6'3" 220lbs.

So for any of you who maybe pay close attention to the farm team and have seen him play, could you please shed some light on his play? How does he look out there? Does he stand out? Will he ever be a regular in our lineup? Or is he just average who might never be a regular NHL'er? If that's the case, then it would be sad considering he was taken just 2 picks ahead of the one and only Justin Schultz.

Suddenly MG's 2008 draft selections wouldn't look too good, as he missed out on Tyler Myers by picking Hodgson and on Justin schultz by picking Sauve.

He missed out on a ton of people in that draft:

Ennis, Eberle, Gardiner, Carlson, Myers, Karlsson, Del Zotto, Markstrom, Slava Voynov, Luke Adam, Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, Adam Henrique, Luca Sbisa.

There's probably more. But it happens every year so we should just move on with it.

We were lucky to get Hodgson, I believe he was ranked about 6-8 or something like that. And Sauve looked like a really good prospect, you can't blame them I would have picked Coho too, and he would have been a better player sooner if he didn't have that Injury.

We should just forget about it.

In hindsight, it's always easy to say "we missed out on ____" or "why didn't we draft _____, instead of _____, he's so much better". It's hard to tell with these young players. Even the 1st overall could be a bust (Patrick Stefan, Alexandre Daigle, etc.), so you really never know

Hindsight is 20/20.

Anyways, I think Sauve will end up playing in the NHL. Whether he has a career as a fringe NHL defenseman fighting for a #5 or 6 spot or he becomes a top 4 defenseman, I'm not sure, but there's no doubt in my mind that he will make it eventually. The bits that we have seen from him at the NHL level were pretty decent.

He was also instrumental in the beautiful Sedin goal a while back against Dallas. He made a good play in poking the puck up to Daniel. He didn't get an assist on it, but a great diving play nonetheless.

You didn't really answer the main question which is about Sauve. And as for Schultz, he was the 3rd most sought after FA wasn't he? CDC was pissed when he didn't sign here. A lot of teams were going ga-ga over him and all the scouts/experts say he's legit.

Would Sauve generate all this attention if he was UFA? I don't think so. Regardless of how many games schultz has played, or lack there of, he's miles ahead of Sauve

If an NHL GM had a time machine, he would be the greatest General Manger this world has ever seen.

Unfortunately, the technology still unavailable so we must live with the fact that we will pass on players that will turn out like stars..just like every other team passes on them.

Sauve is sound defensively, plays physical; a prototypical stay at home defenseman. My only problem with him making the big club is his lack of foot speed (he is quite slow). If he can improve on his speed, I don't think he will have trouble being an effective defender in the show.

Sauve is sound defensively, plays physical; a prototypical stay at home defenseman. My only problem with him making the big club is his lack of foot speed (he is quite slow). If he can improve on his speed, I don't think he will have trouble being an effective defender in the show.

AV was pretty high on Sauve last camp - i'm not sure depth chart you described is set in stone, especially when you get near the end. I think Sauve has a good chance to make the team this year ahead of guys like Joslin. And if Sauve joins the team (since we usually carry 8 defensemen), I wouldn't be surprised if he is ahead of Alberts actually.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Sauve/Alberts (depth guys)

AHL: Connauton, Joslin, Mullen

Sauve is still a work in progress. He's big and mobile but I am not sure of his hockey sense. Still gets himself into trouble in his own end with the puck but is improving. He may turn out to be an Andrew Alberts or Aaron Rome type of player; big, tough, but in no way flashy. If he puts it all together, his upside is third pairing at best.

On another note, I've long thought he'd be attractive to Montreal in a trade, but they seem to have more defencemen than they need at the moment.

I was hoping that he would get a callup last year with the need of a right side dman with size. I thought he played a pretty decent game when he was called up two years ago. Writing him off at 22 is very foolish. He could easily spend another 2 years in the AHL and still be a starter with Van. He has the size that everyone wants. I didn't want Salo resigned simply because the younger guys in the system have to start getting icetime. If Tanev slots in as the 3rd pairing right side dman then I hope Sauve gets a callup for 3 - 5 games. Guys like Sauve will never get a lot of press because they don't put up a lot of points. His game is defence with physical play and Van needs a plyer like him bad.

K-Conn on the left side is no different. About the same age and a AHL all-star last year. Not as physical but has a cannon for a shot.

Well I dont think Tanev has made a case for himself quite yet for the lock on that number 6th spot, so really the competition for the 6th and 7th sport on the roster is very much open. Alberts, Tanev, Connaugton, Joslin and Sauve will definetly be competing each other. Who knows Sauve could have a good training camp and outshine the rest.

From what i gather from the wolves highlights, I saw several times him wearing the 'A' for the Wolves. I think he made not a huge leep of progress but a steady one last season especially after his incident last fall. I think Sauve is very capable of stealing a spot, and is a dark horse that some wouldn't consider to even make a spot on the team. Who knows we always have at least a few surprising players each camp....he could be one of them

A lot of scouts have said that his skating is quite good for a man his size...although not great, its decent enough to not let him get burned by quick shifty players. Also from games I have watched from him, even though many believe his offensive potential is quite sparce, in fact he does have good offensive skills, but hasn't quite gained the confidence to do what he did in Junior. Hes got a good shot and because of his good skating skills he can be a dangerous player.

Sauve just needs to learn to harnest that skill and when to use it properly at the right time ( i guess you could say that for any player) But if he can fine tune his game, he will definetly be ready for prime time.

He is physically ready. mentally he still needs to work on that....still has his moments where his selection of choices aren't great...Give him another year in the AHL and I bet he will be NHL ready for the 2013-2014 season for full time duty. He isn't as far as some would think.

Archived