The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber or Rick Nash?

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd focus on Weber more than Nash for sure.

Both are excellent players around the same age and close to the same salary. If I were a GM, I would build my team around a franchise defenseman rather than a top-tier power forward any day.

Just have a look at the histories of Nashville and Columbus since both players have been with their respective teams. Who has fared better? The Preds. Both teams have tried to build around their superstars, but, one has been far more successful than the other.

:towel::canucks:

Neither. A cap hit of $7.8 million for the next six years in Nash and a probable $8 or $9 million hit for Weber over 8-12 years ties up far too much money. The team will still need cap space to obtain high level players to keep Vancouver in the top tier of the league and the team won't be able to afford such players. Although the Sedins may prove to be outstanding well into their mid to late thirties, their deals are up in two years and will need to be resigned at at least what they are making now and probably more. Factor in the cost of Edler's raise for the 13-14 season and beyond and there's no reasonable way to accommodate all those big contracts.

I would also point out that neither Nash nor Weber has even made it to the Cup final, so there's no guarnatee that either or both of them are the final pieces of the puzzle. All those who are fixated on these guys must remember that Vancouver has a very good team right now and if they can find a decent offensive centre, a scoring winger and another top four defenceman, they are legitimate contenders for the Stanley Cup. But, Gillis doesn't need to blow the budget on one or two guys who will eat up close to 20 per cent of the salary budget.

to nashville:

edler

kesler

raymond

to vancouver:

weber's rfa rights

legwand

to columbus:

luongo

booth

jensen

1st

+

to vancouver:

nash

letestu

with some cap space left to add a back up goalie and shore up the depth:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($7.500m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,470,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,730,000

I would definitely go for Weber. We got lit up for defensive issues the last two playoffs and pairing Hamhuis and Weber would be a huge boost. I think Nash is amazing but he is asking for the sky and the moon. 7.8 cap hit is way too much in my opinion. I'd rather get Weber and then sign someone like Doan.

Having some fun with Capgeek. Both Nash and Weber could fit in under the cap next year. Obviously the below scenario is contingent on Nash waiving NTC to go to VAN, Weber not re-signing with NSH forcing a trade, and Luongo willing to stay with VAN.

Trades:

Nash for Schneider + Booth + Schroeder (+ whatever else you think would make the deal).

Weber for Edler + Ballard + 1st 2013 + Jensen (+ whatever else you think would make the deal).

You can replace 6th-8th D with other Dmen of comparable $ value.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Mason Raymond ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.701m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($7.500m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Kevin Connauton ($0.900m) / Yann Sauve ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,253,833; BONUSES: $297,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $946,167

Take that Minny!!!!

As a wee kid (I was a midget), I had the good fortune of watching the Canadiens dynasty of the 1970s. At the time I had no idea of how the team was structured (personnel wise), but as I got older, I realized the strength of that team was the defence corp made up of Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe (three all-stars). They had moving parts in Don Awery, Pierre Bouchard, Gilles Lupien, Brian Engblom, on the blue line who were all big and competent players. Backstopping them was Ken Dryden (they did have superstar up front in Guy Lafleur, so they had really good balance).

The Islander dynasty was built on the same blue print...Denis Potvin, Ken Morrow, Stefan Perssonn, Dave Langevin, etc...all star defensemen, supported by very good goaltending in Billy Smith and Glenn Resch (they did also have all star forwards in Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy and Clarke Gillies).

In the past 20 years or so, most Stanley Cup winners have had 2 Norris Trophy candidate considerations...Coffey/Lowe; Niedermayer/Stevens; Niedermayer/Pronger; Bourque/Foote; Keith/Seabrook; Lidstrom (okay he flew solo, but at his very prime, he was good enough to get two nominations per season himself...I know...ridiculous thing to say but he was that good).

So, the point of this trip down memory lane is that I am predisposed to believe that you build the team from the back end out and is a long-winded way of saying, if given the choice between Nash and Weber, with all things being equal, Weber is my pick. Thanks for your patience.

MG doesn't have the trade gonads that Minny has. No way he would go out on the limb with big, big bucks to get either of them or Weber and Doan. Nice to daydream but reality is, the Canucks will be a season performer, missing the boat in the playoffs for a long time to come with their team of "utility" players.

I would say Weber because defense wins championships.

Obviously if we could wind up with Nash for Booth and a first, then of course, but since the Titanic is more likely to sail again than that trade to occur, Weber is a more reasonable option as well.

Archived