The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three Way Deal: VAN-FLA-CLB

Here's another proposal in which I am likely off my nutter, but here goes.

Gillis want's a hockey trade for Luongo. Howsen wants the moon for Rick Nash. Tallon wants Luongo but doesn't want to give up a lot.

I think all 3 teams can really help each other out here.

VAN:

Rick Nash

Jose Theodore

FLA:

Roberto Luongo

Jordan Schroeder

1st Round Pick (Vancouver)

CLB:

Keith Ballard

Tomas Kopecky

Nick Bjustad

1st Round Pick (Florida)

Why each team does this:

Vancouver: They get a premiere power forward in their prime to play in the win now era and keeps pace with Minnesota signing both Parise and Suter. We also get an incredibly capable back up goaltender for Schneider to mentor him during his first full season as a starter. This allows Lack one more year of development before coming into the league full time. The deal also clears salary space for long term extensions of Edler and Burrows and a possible UFA signing of Weber.

Florida: Get's top 10 goaltending to allow Markstrom who is only 22 years old adequate time to develop. They give up Bjugstad and Kopecky, but some of that is offset with Schroeder who may be poised to make the jump this season and a 1st round pick to add another prospect to the cupboards, the key here is they are not giving up a Gudbrandson or a Huberdeau calibre prospect.

Columbus: Gets out from under the shadow of Nash being unhappy in Columbus and allows the franchise to move on. They flesh out their T4 defence with Ballard, add to the forward ranks with Kopecky and Bjugstad and they get another 1st round pick.

Vancouver's roster looks like this: (after signing a depth d-man and taking a 1 year run @ Doan)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Jim Vandermeer ($0.875m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Jose Theodore ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,920,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $280,000

Columbus gets played. We get all best players coming here, while the BJs get an underachieving defender, a decent prospect, an overpaid third liner, and a mid 1st. Not what Howson wants, especially after asking for Skinner.

I was trying to think of a similar 3-way deal involving Nashville instead of Columbus, but it's so hard to do with big names and multiple pieces, only with very simple deals. I didn't think it deserved it's own proposal thread considering that, so here it is in yours!

To Vancouver:

Weber

To Florida:

Luongo

Ballard

To Nashville:

Edler

Gundbranson

Once I started to plan it out, I wondered if Florida should give up a 2nd at least as well, and then who it would go to to even things out without just automatically saying us. I also wondered why we wouldn't rather keep Edler and Gundbranson instead of going after Weber. That's when I gave up on the idea.

As far as the OP's deal, the values aren't right for the reasons I started with in this post. Too hard to gauge value and I don't think CBJ gets enough or that Florida give up enough to for what they get back.

First of all, I don't believe Nash would be the savior a lot of CDCers believe he would be; Especially if we give up the pieces that would make him successful here.

Kesler going the other way would make no sense, as this is precisely who I would put him with. The Sedin line is already successful and doesn't require any tinkering. As a unit, they would still need a passing winger who gets more assists than goals.

Also, adding a 7.8 million dollar cap hit for a guy who's never hit the eighty point mark is, in my mind, not very smart. Especially when we have two guys making 6.1 who both have hit the century mark and are the backbone of the franchise.

Sorry, but I'm just not into any kind of Nash deal. I'd like to see a second line assist machine with Booth and Kesler.

I was trying to think of a similar 3-way deal involving Nashville instead of Columbus, but it's so hard to do with big names and multiple pieces, only with very simple deals. I didn't think it deserved it's own proposal thread considering that, so here it is in yours!

To Vancouver:

Weber

To Florida:

Luongo

Ballard

To Nashville:

Edler

Gundbranson

Once I started to plan it out, I wondered if Florida should give up a 2nd at least as well, and then who it would go to to even things out without just automatically saying us. I also wondered why we wouldn't rather keep Edler and Gundbranson instead of going after Weber. That's when I gave up on the idea.

As far as the OP's deal, the values aren't right for the reasons I started with in this post. Too hard to gauge value and I don't think CBJ gets enough or that Florida give up enough to for what they get back.

Archived