The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Edler to DET Loungo to ?

I'm not usually into stupid/crazy/multiple trade proposals but I will make my case here!

PART 1

I like Edler, but re signing him might end up putting him into the "too great expectations" category and even this assumes we can re sign him before becoming an UFA

DET is definitely in the hunt for a top 4 D man. I think they would like to have a player like Edler for a number of reasons. I'm assuming that they could most likely sign him to a 5-6 million/year contract as well. Cons are that we are trading him to a conference rival and improving their chances, but it doesn't make DET unbeatable. Helm would be a great addition to our bottom 6 and another 1st round pick can't hurt for future prospects/trades if need be.

VAN: Edler

for

DET: Helm (slots in for 3rd line center)

+

2013 1st

PART 2

Lou has to be traded as well but to who and for what is the big question. I suggest that if MG has the ability to do it, it should be for a D man (preferably a right handed shot) to replace Edler.

VAN: Loungo

for

TOR: Franson

+

Frattin or ???

People might balk at trading Edler but I think with Garrison signing we don't give up much in terms if size and strength. What do you think?

EDIT: sorry the topic should read Loungo to TOR not ?. I've also replaced the possibility of Lupul with Frattin or another Toronto prospect.

dude if we're not going to get anything for Edler if he is a UFA next season then we might as well keep him, see how he does this season and If we sign him they maybe trade him, unless he doesn't sign with Van next year. Unless it involved Zetterberg in the deal for Edler (we might need to add more), I wouldn't even be interested because we know that Datsyuk is pretty much untouchable for sure. But I still think if Det gets an awesome deal for Zetterberg they would do it.

dude if we're not going to get anything for Edler if he is a UFA next season then we might as well keep him, see how he does this season and If we sign him they maybe trade him, unless he doesn't sign with Van next year. Unless it involved Zetterberg in the deal for Edler (we might need to add more), I wouldn't even be interested.

Why would we move Edler? Gillis will get him to sign at 5m average which is excellent. Even if Edler is a UFA we would get more than a late 1st and a 3rd line center. Paul Gaustad returned a 1st himself as a rental. Edler is an allstar

Who cares if he's a UFA. I rather let him walk, then throw him away. The team needs defense right now, he's potentially one of our best guys, and could very well still get better. Why the hell would you want him gone? Stupid. Ryan Suter is worth every penny, people just underrate the guy like crazy because Weber is flashier.

If Detroit would pay a high price for Edler, and I guarantee it that they would, why can't the Canucks? There's a reason why teams pay high prices. There's D man don't come and go. They are irreplaceable.

You honestly think Garrison can match Edler's strength? Think again. Go watch them play, Edler is still the only guy on the Canucks D that can knock down anyone with his hits. Garrison isn't that physical.

It's pretty pathetic how many people want to trade Edler after one bad playoffs. This guy has the tools to be among the best, and is already in the top 15 category. Sometimes, I wonder, how good he'd be if Detroit drafted him, instead. Everyone should be fortunate to see a talent like Edler. You want him gone? Fine, but you will regret it.

I understand some people want Weber over Edler, but they aren't too fair apart as some people may think. You essentially have to pay Weber 3+ Million more. It's not worth the differential.

No way, we keep Edler! Detroit can get their own else where.. Luongo though probably won't want to go to Toronto. I'd be asking for more, Franson rights (Must have for any deal) Colborne and a pick would be all I want from their entire team. In all likelihood, he's going to Florida though. *sigh*

Archived