The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

six-0h-four-

Sure Mr. Patriarchal and Condascening. Ok want to get to semantics? Winning - well I consider getting your team to the finals, winning awards etc = WINNING

But I will BOW to your knowledge

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

I have more hockey knowledge in my left toe than you have in your entire being.

FInished.

I'm a huge Luongo fan. I always have been since his days in Florida. I remember the day he was traded to the Canucks - one of the best days in my life, easily in the top 3. Even as a big Luongo fan though, I know that some games he's just not into it. That could be owned up to his injuries(damn near averaging a pulled groin a season xD) or to the fact that he was playing 60+ for the good majority of his career, and even though he's still relatively young for a goalie, it's finally starting to catch up to him. However, Luongo at his worse is still better than a lot of goalies at their best. I would rather have Luongo at his worse than Thomas, Brodeur, Miller, etc. at their worse.

Luongo is the definition of a "work horse." I don't believe that Schneider will be able to play as many games as Luongo has been a season, and still remain in the top 5 of the league almost year after year. That's not downplaying Schneider by any means, but it's just really hard to find a goalie that can do that. Lundqivst, Luongo, and Kipper are probably the only goalies in the league right now who average upwards to 60 games a year.

Just the thought of waking up one day and reading on NHL.com that Luongo has been traded from the Canucks breaks my heart. To know that the best goalie to ever play for the Canucks, and someone who is looking to be in the top 15-10 all-time for stats at the end of his career has received such back lash, especially from a city that has only witnessed 2, maybe 3 Vezina-worthy goalies. I refuse to say he was run out of town or he's leaving because of the fans, but it's hard to imagine that all the Luu'ing turned to booing in the past 2 years hasn't gotten into his head. Isn't it a wonder that nearing the end of this past season he played much better away than he did at home? Hell, the Canucks fans that went to the away games Luu'd more than the fans at home games. No matter how confident you are, maybe public enemy #1 in your hometown team to arguably being public enemy #1 in the entire league will definitely rattle you, whether you like to admit it or not.

I'm a firm believer that if he does get traded, Luongo will win the Stanley Cup before the Canucks do.

As much as I am a Canucks fan, I think Luongo deserves a cup more than the Vancouver fan. Loyalty is just not in most people's vocabulary. One bad game and he's soft. 2 bad games and we should trade him.

Judging by the comments, Kesler is next. Cory Schneider I hope you are also prepared for this terrible treatment from the fans, if you don't get a shutout every night, someone in Vancouver will turn on you.

People like Morrison, Naslund, Bure, Bertuzzi, Cloutier can attest to this. One minute we love you, the next minute you are public enemy number one.

As much as I am a Canucks fan, I think Luongo deserves a cup more than the Vancouver fan. Loyalty is just not in most people's vocabulary. One bad game and he's soft. 2 bad games and we should trade him.

Judging by the comments, Kesler is next. Cory Schneider I hope you are also prepared for this terrible treatment from the fans, if you don't get a shutout every night, someone in Vancouver will turn on you.

People like Morrison, Naslund, Bure, Bertuzzi, Cloutier can attest to this. One minute we love you, the next minute you are public enemy number one.

Whatever Lu's mental focus issues, he's still pretty much one of the best goaltender's we've ever had. I wish we could find out where the root of the problem is. Is it he's too competitive that when lets in a softie, he over compensates and gets worse? Does he put too much pressure on himself?

His stats speak for themselves. If he'd been mentally tougher in the Boston series and we won we'd probably never want him to leave. It will be a sad day when he goes. But hopefully with Schneider-man we'll be able to win those 16 games in the playoffs. Not 15.

I don't really understand your definition of loyalty. For me, I am loyal to the Canucks as a whole and I want them to win a Stanley Cup. This doesn't not correlate however to me being loyal to Luongo. Our fans pay A LOT of money to watch the Canucks play hockey, and if they aren't getting their moneys worth out of a game because Luongo had one of his "off nights" or let in a "soft goal", then why should they be loyal to him? Just because a fan doesn't like an individual player on a team doesn't make them a disloyal fan. People like you seem to think that you have to love every part of the team equally or you're not a real fan. Thats just not true.

As for the second part of your post; Morrison, Naslund and Bertuzzi had a drop in popularity for obvious reasons. Bertuzzi ruined his image with his cheap shot on Moore. Naslund and Morrison's level of play dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY once Bertuzzi was no longer playing. We celebrate those players as wonderful players that this team has had, yet at the end of the career, why should we have to sit there and say its okay for them to suck because they used to be good?

The Canucks have had very few players that played solid until the end of their career. Players like Lidstrom are hard to hate because his level of play never really dropped off until he retired. There was nothing to hate. But Naslund? He became a headcase after Bertuzzi left and his play showed it.

People need to understand that the reason people demand trades or get frusterated is because hockey is a business, and we are the paying customers. When our product is below par or defective, we will want parts fixed/replaced if we are to continue spending money on it.

THAT DOESNT MEAN WE CANT STILL BE LOYAL TO THE PRODUCT. It simply needs to be tweaked.

People need to stop calling out Canuck fans for being disloyal simply because they dislike an individual player. Who cares if I don't like Luongo, I'm a Canuck fan, not a Luongo fan.

Imagine saying "I hate him", Imagine saying " I'll get an early Christmas Present if he leaves". Just WHY do you guys say crap like this? WHAT has LU done to deserve to be treated like that? Roberto Luongo has been NOTHING but a Class Act , in every respect, he has represented Vancouver and the Team so professionally, for years. This "Bandwaggon" mentality, is nothing short of Bullying ! Sick of it ! Schneider is a great person, and is a very talented Goalie, Vancouver is so lucky to have TWO fantastic People on OUR Team. Here's the thing, you want the "CUP"? Then stop ragging on LU and Cory, instead, SUPPORT THEM ! Fans are a big part of WINNING ! LU has given the City his talents, and his off time, for sick kids and countless other Charitable events. At least for that ,give the guy some credit,and a "little" Peace. To The "Real"fans of OUR Canucks, "Thank you"

he did give us a luxury we never expected and one that every team in the NHL coveted but he also gave us the disdain of letting in 12 goals in 2 games against the blackhawks, and also his rants saying he basically wanted to be a hired gun for a team like Detroit with his "winning now" attitude, HAH! i would've love to see him fail and will enjoy it when he goes back to Flo or to the laughs... I won't miss him, I might miss his glove but not him

I couldn't agree more with this, there's not a player on the team that deserves it more than another. With that said though, I would love to see Luongo raise the Cup the most out of every other player on our roster(it WAS Salo) just to see how mad the haters would be. :P

Really puts your name Nucksforcup as a questionable want when you hope Lou wins a cup elsewhere. Lou was good for us but he was not the Mesiah to lead us to the promised land. He has been replaced by a superior goaltender. one with far better techniques and fundamentals. Some of us, understand the goaltending position, I don;t believe that you do !! Maybe we can through you in with the trade.

Nothing to do with Luongo's skill.. he will be amazing for the next 4 years still, just cheaper and almost as effective to go with schneider so they will see what return they can get for lu. Best goaltender to ever wear a canucks uni. better believe that. I also guarantee he turns w/e team he's on to a playoff contender instantly.

People need to understand that the reason people demand trades or get frusterated is because hockey is a business, and we are the paying customers. When our product is below par or defective, we will want parts fixed/replaced if we are to continue spending money on it.

THAT DOESNT MEAN WE CANT STILL BE LOYAL TO THE PRODUCT. It simply needs to be tweaked.

I agree with what you are saying.I would add that the 'product' is people or players.

When management upsets the balance of the team they risk losing the loyalty of their players.

I think Gillis maintained the loyalty of his players by keeping the core intact.

Now that he is discarding the inner core the risk is that Gillis loses the team.

Instead of playing for one another,that is lost and they play for themselves.

Salo,Luongo,Samuelsson,Rome,Ehrhoff,Torres,Hodgson and WIllie and on and on.

People are the product.When the players or the people lose their loyalty to the 'product' then you have what is affectionately called a 'losing' team.The coach is thrown as it is believed he has lost the room.More players are traded.

It is a downhill spiral.

What has to happen is Gillis has to have an equitable return on Luongo to compensate for the fiasco he has created.

Otherwise,this may well mark the end of Gillis' tenure.

The GM has screwed with the 'product' and risks the loyalty factor of his players and fans.

I don't really understand your definition of loyalty. For me, I am loyal to the Canucks as a whole and I want them to win a Stanley Cup. This doesn't not correlate however to me being loyal to Luongo. Our fans pay A LOT of money to watch the Canucks play hockey, and if they aren't getting their moneys worth out of a game because Luongo had one of his "off nights" or let in a "soft goal", then why should they be loyal to him? Just because a fan doesn't like an individual player on a team doesn't make them a disloyal fan. People like you seem to think that you have to love every part of the team equally or you're not a real fan. Thats just not true.

As for the second part of your post; Morrison, Naslund and Bertuzzi had a drop in popularity for obvious reasons. Bertuzzi ruined his image with his cheap shot on Moore. Naslund and Morrison's level of play dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY once Bertuzzi was no longer playing. We celebrate those players as wonderful players that this team has had, yet at the end of the career, why should we have to sit there and say its okay for them to suck because they used to be good?

The Canucks have had very few players that played solid until the end of their career. Players like Lidstrom are hard to hate because his level of play never really dropped off until he retired. There was nothing to hate. But Naslund? He became a headcase after Bertuzzi left and his play showed it.

People need to stop calling out Canuck fans for being disloyal simply because they dislike an individual player. Who cares if I don't like Luongo, I'm a Canuck fan, not a Luongo fan.

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

Many people have argued that the Canucks play better with Schneider in net. Perhaps its because they have more confidence in him. We, as fans, have no idea what the team thinks but the fact that the team has decided to go with Schneider must mean something, especially in light of the fact that Liongo is well respected. Not an easy decision but one that has been made .Lou has raised the bar for the Canucks and contributed a lot but a better goalie has taken over. Hopefully , Schneider can raise the bar further. He has the tools to do it.

Archived