The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL players becoming like the NBA players?

So I read that Parise took less money to have same contract as "friend" Suter. Suter says Parise signing in Minny had alot to do with him signing there. Sounds like they got together even before July 1st and agreed to play together almost. Add Staal turns down mega offer to play with brother and it beginning to sound and feel like the NBA the last few years..first Boston..then to new levels with Miami...players sort of getting together and dictating where and who they playing with....

Am I seeing a similarity or this just a one-off year in the nhl? Personally I think the players may be beginning to treat the NHL like their own playground not the fans/owners just like the NBA now :(

I would do the exact same thing. Would you rather join a team full of 'strangers' in a new city, or go to my home state and join a long-time friend?

I don't blame Jordan either, and it is now only a matter of time untill Marc becomes a Hurricane as well.

But the difference there is that two of those brother combinations involved trade and the other was drafted together. It's not like they got money hungry and accepted the highest bidder only

Not even close to being like the NBA...

More like hometown ties for Suter/Parise like Garrison to Vancouver and family ties in Carolina with the Staals...

How is that even close? It would be if Ovie ditched the Capitals to play in Pittsburgh or Stamkos ditched Tampa to play with the Twins ( :P ) ...

Star Calibre players would make it the same. Those guys are stars but not good enough to take a team and carry them to the finals like Crosby, Chara, Lidstrom, Toews... Toews and Luongo in Chicago would that be called the "Big 5" Toews, Luongo, Kane, Seabrook, Keith? lol

No the problem facing the NBA is all of the star players only want to goto big markets. Chris Bosh could have joined the best player in the league in Cleveland but he turned it down to go with Wade.

Chris Paul to LA

Dwight Howard wants to goto Brooklyn

Melo and Amare to New York

etc etc etc.

Parise and Suter getting together to goto Minnesota is actually an indication to me that the NHL is moving even further way from the NBA (good thing).

They are free agents after all. They can do whatever the hell they want. They can talk to other players and agree to try to sign to the same team together. they just can't send their agents out to talk to teams before july 1

bigger name players usually sign with the bigger teams (at the time.) Look at the Rangers in the 90s (failed,) Avalanche, Red Wings, etc. The difference is that this was the first time (in a long time) those teams (Red Wings, Pens, Flyers, etc.) were all turned down for a team that looked terrible the 2nd half of the season (and really the offense looked terrible all season... it's just their defense/goaltending finally lost steam and fell apart.)

Archived