The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

Hopeful that he makes the team and surprises.

Small guy with skill and speed. Don't underestimate his physical play though as he was amongst tops in the bench press in the scouting combine. I can see him playing a Parise-type style, but more of a playmaker and not as explosive

I agree.

He's a good young player.

I think out of all our prospects he has best pure offensive skillset, Jensen comes close but Schreoder's offensive game is more dynamic and I think he has game breaking offensive ability. He just has to continue to develop. And realize his potential.

No Reason to count this guy out, I'm not 100% sure if he is ready yet but I believe he might be and we will see.

I'm super excited to see him come September.

It won't matter if that moron of a coach that we have wont' give him a chance to make mistakes. Schroeder can score a hatrick in one game and make a mistake at the next game and be banished to the pressbox.

Score a hatrick and 2 games later, be a healthy scratch --> Michael Grabner

Score a goal and be the best Canuck the 1st half of the game and be benched and never to be seen again ---> Sergei Shirokov

Win Rookie of the Month in January, pretty much helped shoulder the scoring the load because of slumping players and get demoted to the 4th line for his efforts ----> Cody Hodgson

Can't score worth a lick, goes through 10-20 game stretches without a goal, and still gets consistent 2nd line minutes ----> Mason Raymond

Just because a player's first couple of years in the AHL aren't overly productive (offensively, anyways), doesn't mean they won't become a solid NHL player.

AHL Career Stats:

Patrick Sharp

2002-2003 Philadelphia Phantoms-AHL 53GP, 14G, 19A, 33Pts

2003-2004 Philadelphia Phantoms-AHL 35GP, 15G, 14A, 29Pts

2004-2005 Philadelphia Phantoms-AHL 75GP, 23G, 29A, 52Pts

Michael Ryder

2000-2001 Quebec Citadelles-AHL 61GP, 6G, 9A, 15Pts

2001-2002 Quebec Citadelles-AHL 50GP, 11G, 17A, 28Pts

2002-2003 Hamilton Bulldogs-AHL 69GP, 34G, 33A, 67Pts

Chris Kunitz

2003-2004 Cincinnati Mighty Ducks-AHL 59GP, 19G, 25Pts

2004-2005 Cincinnati Mighty Ducks-AHL 54GP, 22G, 17Pts

2005-2006 Portland Pirates-AHL 5GP, 0G, 4A, 4Pts

Vinny Prospal

1993-1994 Bears-AHL 55GP, 14G, 21A, 35Pts

1994-1995 Bears-AHL 69GP, 13G, 32A, 45Pts

1995-1996 Bears-AHL 68GP, 15G, 36A, 51Pts

1996-1997 Philadelphia Phantoms-AHL 63GP, 32G, 63A, 95Pts

Jiri Hudler

2003-2004 Grand Rapids Griffins-AHL 57GP, 17G, 32A, 49Pts

2004-2005 Grand Rapids Griffins-AHL 52GP, 12G, 22A, 34Pts

2005-2006 Grand Rapids Griffins-AHL 76GP, 36G, 61A, 97Pts

Curtis Glencross

2003-2004 Cincinnati Mighty Ducks-AHL 7GP, 2G, 1A, 3Pts

2004-2005 Cincinnati Mighty Ducks-AHL 51GP, 6G, 3A, 9Pts

2005-2006 Portland Pirates-AHL 41GP, 15G, 10A, 25Pts

2006-2007 Portland Pirates-AHL 31GP, 6G, 10A, 16Pts

2006-2007 Syracuse Crunch-AHL 29GP, 19G, 16A, 35Pts

These examples also suggest that if a player is not dominating at the AHL level, there's no shame in letting him stay there for another year or two until he is.

Well "surprise" depends on expectations. What are people expecting? Let's say he plays a full season getting 13-15 minutes a game. What's a surprisingly good season for him? I would say 50 points and everyone's stoked. Schroeder played a lot of defensive minutes with the Wolves and during second half of the season was close to a ppg player. I think it's doable for Schredder.

I admire the positivity of the OP though I had to plus the post under it.

Schroeder is nothing like Hodgson in style so I don't see how he would "play the Cody Hodgson role" other than play centre which is what he is.

Schroeder does not control the play like a centre, in fact he plays more like a winger. He is fast and often direct but doesn't have Hodgson's shot. Hodgson is also light years ahead of Schroeder on the boards.

Don't get me wrong I think we need to give him a chance as it's the only way to see what he's got with good players around him.

One of the things I like about Schoeder is how he is likely to eventually bring Sweatt with him.

As much as I like Schroeder, he would have to have taken huge leaps in his development this offseason if he plans to beat out Ebbett for that roster spot... I dont see them both on the team at the same time.. but i could be wrong

I have no doubt that Jordan Schroeder will make the team to start the season and I feel like he'll surprise a lot of people/doubters. I expect him to play the Cody Hodgson role of last season, before he got traded, and do just as well if not better.

Have you guys actually seen this kid play? It sounds to me like there are a lot of people on here relying solely on stats to determine someones worth. If you watch you can definitely see that last year was spent polishing his defensive game. MacT seemed to want to use him in a defensive role, probably because he wanted that aspect of his game cleaned up. Maybe this was at the request of AV or GMMG but I'm speculating.

Either case, I strongly believe by the defensive draws and situations he was on the ice for, last year was spent beefing up his defensive game and sacrificing his offensive numbers. For those of you just looking at point stats to determine if he makes a good NHLer, maybe you should spend some time watching hockey instead of just looking at numbers. To make it in the NHL, you need to be solid defensively as well and I think that's what they were trying to achieve with him last year.

A lot of coaches in the minors work with this same approach when they already know that the offensive skills are there. That's why you see a lot of offensively gifted players in the minors have subpar point production for a season or two. It also serves to curb the ego and learn to put the team first. You won't get the individual recognition when you spend the season focusing on the defensive side of the game but you help you team.

That was my issue with Cody, he seemed so concerned with offense that his defensive game struggled. Cody on the Moose was placed in offensive situations and then when he made the club, they had to give him those same type of minutes. Maybe they do not want to make the same development mistake with JS.

I agree with everything, except you missed one:

Score a goal against your former team while finally being premoted to the 2nd line from the 4th in favour of Raymond. Next game finds his way back to the 4th, while Raymond Basks in the glory of undeserved top 6 minutes -----------> Zack Kassian.

Hopefully AV will give Schroeder a fair chance.

Archived