The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

1st off, Raymond and Devastating are two words that should never be in the same sentence.

Yeah Raymond great defense, like when he balantly turned the puck over to Kopitar in game 4 and he walked in and Sniped Schneid's.

And when he was outside the zone in game 3 when Brown scored the GWG.

He has brought very little offense, his speed creates chances but they only create chances for him and he NEVER finishes, most of his goals this year were lucky.

Kassian on the other hand, is Devastating, you think that as a defensemen, if Kassian chipped it in and you had to go back and get it, with him on you that you wouldnt try to move it as fast as possible so you don't get crushed? Of course that defensemen would.

With Raymond the defensemen would just probably pop back and hit him back.

Raymond doesn't deserve top 6 minutes and I'm not sure how anyone can argue that he can. I would rather just give Kassian a chance, the one game he's in it he scored, then Raymond went back there and did nothing for the rest of the year.

not that im to judge considering I've barley seen him play, but if he was really top 5 quality wouldn't he have made the team by now? or be racking some serious points in the Ahl?? i seriously doubt this kid will be as good as hodgson.

hope i'm wrong, but has kind of been a bust - not even in conversations in previous years to make the team. hodgson was there for a few years - if only his back wasn't injured, etc. schroeder just hasn't been ready. q is if he will ever be ready

this is a make or break it year - he is either making the team or established himself as a legitimate candidate to call-up (which would still be a step forward)... or we won't see him again.

I honestly beleive that AV thinks that this is what he has been doing thus far.. In some respects I can see it, yet in others such as favoring Rome over Ballard far more than he should, and giving Raymond all the ice time in the world for little payoff, as well as riding Kesler and Edler into the ice for 20+ mins a game night in night out, I'm still scratching my head with AV and his weird decisions.

I know we got to game 7 and all, but sometimes I tell ya..

I would take issue with a number of your comments.

1. Top 5 - Why hasn't he made the team? Well 2 reasons, first being no room (don't forget Hodgson only got his real shot last year) and was playing 3rd line minutes. Secondly, perhaps the issues with CoHo were known well before the season and its pretty obvious they were, thus the strategy to play him in certain spots and showcase to move him.

2. Schroeder had a solid camp last year if you recall and there were some calling for him to make the team. CoHo's political issues may have been the cause of his selection, no one knows.

3. As good as CoHo? Firstly, I was a huge CoHo fan when he was in Junior then we drafted him and was estatic. However, his play in Vancouver as we all know now was based on 'selective' ice time, to show what he could do offensively without showing the defensive warts. If you look at his play in Buffalo, where he got real 2nd line time, he wasn't so great, he certainly isn't ready to be a "Star" in the NHL.

4. Schroeder is known as a great playmaker, was terrific in the World Juniors and thats why many were estatic that we had two great young centers to take over from Henrik and Kesler. Smaller but talented. Well Schroeder was seen as the number one due to his offensive talents, speed, and strength. He is faster, stronger and just as/if not more skilled that Hodgson.

5. Time in the minors to develop his defensive game, without pressure typically helps players. Kelser, Burrows, Bieksa, on and on did it. It is not a sign of not good, its a sign he needed to develop facets of his game. Likely CoHo would have been doing the same had there not been politics involved and the need to showcase and move.

So completely disagree with your view. Time will tell but I wouldn't be surprised to see JS score more points in the NHL than CoHo, not just because of talent, but because of attitude.

Yeah I know.

I think people overrate what he did in the playoffs.

I don't think he contributed as much to our teams success as people think.

Quenville, Julien, Trotz, Laviolette, Bylsma, Deboer, and Sutter have all done more for there team than AV has done for us Imo.

I Have a big problem with the supposed "showcase for him to get move" as per MG's comments on Cody Hodgson, fact is a lot of people are eating whatever Mike Gillis's is cooking simply because he said that. What strategy exactly was the team doing. Major fact is that Gillis threw Hodgson under the bus to justify the trade which blew up in his face. We can thank AV for that one

1) Who were Hodgsons linemates exactly? Im sorry but showing him off to get traded playing on the 3rd line, around 10 mins of ice time isn't exactly bloating up his stats. Hodgson performed and exceeded expectations, not because of his situation, but because he was that talented. When the opposing 4th line ices the puck..who hops over the boards? Tell you what it wasn't Cody. The kid had almost 30-45 seconds worth of PP time and he excelled, wasn't his fault he produced. If they wanted to show him off, he should've been riding shotgun with the Sedins which brings me to my next point...

2) Hodson had 4-5 shifts with the Sedin line all season. The only time they placed him there was shift after the PK because Burrows is a part of that unit. Bryon Bitz whos an absolute nobody but is 6'5 and gets 2 WHOLE games with the Sedins. Let me get this straight...your gonna give a 4th scrub who probably wont amount to anything in this league 2 games playing with the 2 best players in the team, and you won't give the future cornerstone player of this team a game?

3) Cody Hodgson doesn't take defensive draws. Why should he? we got 3 upper echelon faceoff men playing in front of him in Malhotra Kesler and Henrik Sedin, not to mention a more than decent Lapierre. Hes basically 5th in the pecking order..why bother putting a rookie there to take that much defensive responsibility

4) Youtube Cody's goals against Chicago and Detroit ...take a look who was on the ice against his line. Lidstrom, Keith, Seabrook, wow they sure put him in a real position succeed considering he scored against a number 1 pairing,

5) hmm i found this line interesting from MG, something in the lines of .."we put him in a position to succeed" funny..THATS YOUR JOB. Thats a prerequiste of AV or anhybody being a coach, you put your players in the best possible position to succeed

Fact is management had to hide their blunder with this trade, justify it with meaningless reasons. The coach was to blame for this, and frankly the teams reputation has already been soured with the recent Mikael samuellson comments Its funny how AV preaches accountability with this team and yet doesn't hold himself accountable when he makes a mistake on Hodgsons back problems.

1st off, Raymond and Devastating are two words that should never be in the same sentence.

Yeah Raymond great defense, like when he balantly turned the puck over to Kopitar in game 4 and he walked in and Sniped Schneid's.

And when he was outside the zone in game 3 when Brown scored the GWG.

He has brought very little offense, his speed creates chances but they only create chances for him and he NEVER finishes, most of his goals this year were lucky.

Kassian on the other hand, is Devastating, you think that as a defensemen, if Kassian chipped it in and you had to go back and get it, with him on you that you wouldnt try to move it as fast as possible so you don't get crushed? Of course that defensemen would.

With Raymond the defensemen would just probably pop back and hit him back.

Raymond doesn't deserve top 6 minutes and I'm not sure how anyone can argue that he can. I would rather just give Kassian a chance, the one game he's in it he scored, then Raymond went back there and did nothing for the rest of the year.

woops double clicked by accident

Exactly..Raymond was horrible in both ends of the ice in the playoffs. What I found disturbing was Rick Bowness's comments during the intermission.

" We decided to throw Mason back in there to see if he can have a bounce back shift"

Are you kidding me? Raymond clearly had little effort in that play and yet they play him the very next chance he gets...Kassian made one mistake and he was benched and soon in the pressbox.

Are you kidding me? Raymond clearly had little effort in that play and yet they play him the very next chance he gets...Kassian made one mistake and he was benched and soon in the pressbox.

I think that is because the decision has been made to moneyball Raymond and Kassian is a project/keeper.

If they don't trade Raymond this year then their hockey intellect is definitely worse than we feared.

Archived