The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of ppl this year

Jordan Schroeder

Great post!!

This is exactly what is needed for guys like Schroeder. I like what you said about curbing the ego. I think gillis said it himself that guys like Schroeder grow up always being the best player on the team and it's a reality check when they turn pro and all of the sudden aren't the go to guy. In Jordan's case they've said they really turned him around and are happy with the player he's molding into. I'm guessing that is part of the reason they traded hodgson. They seen 2 players with the same potential and were confident with the progress JS is making, that he'll be good enough off to take over where CH left off. And bring a more polished defensive game aswell.

What I like from his YouTube videos is his finish. You see him getting lower and really angling his stick to aim for the small pocket of net he sees as opposed to wildly putting the puck on net like Raymond.

I hadn't written him off a year ago but I was starting to become a little skeptical of him reaching that consistent second line potential. Now hearing how pleased they are with him rounding out his game, I'm starting to get more excited about him. This shows the work ethic, ability to put ego aside and patience that is needed to become a solid nhler one day.

If Schroeder has a great camp, reguardless of how he played last year. He could easily play himself as the number 2 center while kesler is gone. right now the good offensive centermen depth on this team is low. And schroeder is the front leader. If no new center comes in from the luongo trade, its schroeders job to lose.

not that im to judge considering I've barley seen him play, but if he was really top 5 quality wouldn't he have made the team by now? or be racking some serious points in the Ahl?? i seriously doubt this kid will be as good as hodgson.

The thing about Shroeder is that he has very good awareness - both offensive and defensive. He can read the play in full stride and is shifty on the ice. He has soft hands and a good shot. He has all the required tools, I don't expect that to translate into instant success, but if he can put up 20-30 points and not be a defensive liability I would say that would be a very good rookie season.

He has what people call in the business a "high hockey IQ", he's intelligent and can learn and fit into a system. He also has the core skills and talent to be successful, we'll see if he can put it all together. I'd rather see him one more full season in the AHL, if he can make another quantum jump point wise and be in the 80-90 point range I think he would be ready to make the transition to the NHL next season when we would have a more legitimate need for a 3rd line center.

Archived