The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joslin and Mullen: What was the purpose of signing them?

L'Orange

I think one of them was a Baumer replacement, the other better not be a Rome replacement. These guys are both pretty brutal so hopefully we never see them play a playoff game. I hope MG picks up a decent #5 defenceman at the deadline in case of injuries, otherwise if we lose say Hamhuis to a concussion and Bieksa to a leg injury, look at our defence:

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts - Joslin

Jesus.

I think one of them was a Baumer replacement, the other better not be a Rome replacement. These guys are both pretty brutal so hopefully we never see them play a playoff game. I hope MG picks up a decent #5 defenceman at the deadline in case of injuries, otherwise if we lose say Hamhuis to a concussion and Bieksa to a leg injury, look at our defence:

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts - Joslin

Jesus.

I guess I should have been clearer with my initial post.

To clairfy, why did Gillis (who I think is doing a fine job) sign these two vs. two other larger, grittier, d-men?

I think all Canucks fans, and hockey fans in general can see that to make it far in the playoffs you need size and endurance. Gillis did an excellent job drafting large yet capable players. I understand that Mullen will be an Wolf, but he will be a small Wolf. And really what is the point of depth if it is not good depth?

There are still decent d-men available that can strengthen our core even more. Who knows what Gillis intends on doing this summer, but I have a feeling he is far from done.

I hear ya. Every team including the Canucks make these kinds of signings every single year. But somehow people go, "why did we sign these guys?" "Gillis sucks!" lol

There was a thread on this the day these two were signed. Somepeople acted like the sky was falling and the Canucks were doom to failure. Mike Gillis failed as gm and so on and so on.

Apparently the purpose of this thread was for me to find out that we no longer have Gragnani or Parent.

Cause seriously, WTF? I know neither of them lit it up in their brief stints as Canucks, but I'd still take them any day of the week over Mullen and Joslin as backup defenders.

Parent and Baumgartner are no longer playing for the Wolves so there are some holes to fill

I believe Mullen will strictly be for the AHL.

Considering what we have as of right now, Joslin has potential to be a 7th or 8th defenseman, If he doesn't get to that role he will be in the AHL as well.

Every year the Canucks have to sign guys primarily for the AHL but who can also serve as emergency callups. Every team does this.

And every year people ask "What are the Canucks doing!!! How can these guys help the team?".

The Cancuks have a commitment to the Wolves to supply at least 12 players who can play effectively at the AHL level and would be expected to supply more than that. Some of those guys are legitimate prospects, but most are career AHLers who have only an outside chance of becoming NHL regulars -- like Joslin and Mullen.

I've actually liked Joslin from what I've seen watching Carolina games. I think he'll be a great depth guy who can jump up at a #6 with injuries. There's still potential for him to learn, and he's a big boy makes a great first pass and typically quick decisions.

Archived