The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weber Turns Down 12 Year Offer

No surprise here. I don't think Weber is going to sign long term with the Preds. I think they will end up trading him. Preds can't afford to lose Weber after losing Hamhuis and Suter for nothing.

Weber loses a lot of money if he doesn't sign long term this year too. The new CBA will most likely close the front loaded contract loop hole. If this happens Weber will lose millions of dollars over his next contract.

The best thing for Weber would be to be traded and sign a life contract before the new CBA kicks in.

I have immense respect for David Poile, Barry Trotz and the whole Nashville organization. What they've had to deal with the last 5-6 seasons with star players either leaving or needed to be traded-- and still being a playoff team year after year with a much lower internal salary cap is remarkable. I think they effed up with Weber though. Trying to lowball him at 4.5 mill last summer was silly. I understand that they were just trying to negotiate and their Dustin Byfuglien argument was clever, but you don't do that to your franchise player who had just got screwed out of the Norris.

Archived