The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defensive Depth Not Changing

DownUndaCanuck

The top four looks as good as it ever has, and in addition, Garrison can eat up big minutes.

Out Salo, Rome, Gragnani.

In Garrison,.------, Joslin.

The difference is Rome? IMO Tanev, Sauve etc are more than adequate replacements/upgrades as young developing players.

Ballard and Tanev are both top four quality defensemen - Ballard has had a few injuries and hickups since arriving, but the guy has a solid overall game - Tanev imo is a blueline version of Burrows and is at that point of his career where he is starting to emerge.

Alberts improved last year and is a very dependable 7th man - absolutely no concerns about his ability to step into the 6th spot.

Sauve showed very well when he was called up to the Canucks - he's a solid defensive blueliner who has good size, is only 22, and could surprise people.

Connauton led the WHL in defensive scoring in 2009/10 with 72 points - last year he made the AHL all-star team - he is also only 22 years old, but clearly has a lot of offensive upside and has been improving his defensive game.

Joslin is a gritty, hard working guy who is a viable depth option if necessary - would be a stretch to consider him a downgrade on Gragnani.

The Canucks are likely to acquire another young blueliner in a Luongo deal, but regardless, imo the depth of their blueline is not a concern - if it is, then every team in the NHL should be concerned.

I'd rather not have Alberts out there all that much. He has some moments here and there, but overall I think he can easily be replaced by the guys waiting for a chance; Tanev, Sauve, Connauton maybe even Joslin, dunno. Ballard needs to give all 110% and the needs to be given the fair minutes and correct role.

I think our depth is fine at this point. Once camp starts if Connauton or Sauve show they are not ready for the jump I could see us potentially add a more veteran presence into the 6/7/8 D-Man. At some point they have to give the prospects that chance to make the jump.

Anyone else slightly concerned that Garrison may end up in the AV's dog house like Ballard? I would hate to have a bottom pairing of Ballard - Garrison playing 12 minutes a game costing the team 9 million in cap space.

This is how I hope the pairings are formed:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev/Joslin

What needs work most is our Powerplay pairings. Having Hamhuis out there last year made me sick. He has no offensive upside. Both Edler and Garrison have big shots, let's split them up to maximize it.

I would love to see this:

Kassian - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Bieksa

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Ballard - Garrison

Pretty pathetic how Oreskovich is suppose to be our 'tough guy' and he's never even had a history of being an enforcer. He clearly showed it there. Further evidence the Canucks are guilty of slapping whoever on the fourth line and rolling with it.

I don't know why you're singling Ballard out as being bullied. If anything he's one of the players that dishes hits and fights. It's players like Sedins that get bullied (and regrettably not much retaliation from the rest of the team). I think Ballard is just fine in terms of grit and I'd like to see him play more because his rushes are fun to watch.

I don't think Tanev & Ballard got bullied any more than our other players in the playoffs, so not sure why you're singling them out...

But yeah I'm sure we'll see Ballard/Tanev/Alberts in the bottom pairing barring injuries. I'd like to see them give Tanev a chance at being a regular, I think he'll be a top 4 D in a couple years and it'd be good to give him the experience to develop further at the NHL level.

Agreed, Ballard and CT did well and didn't look bullied. However CT needs to put on more poundage imo. He is a bit on the light side at 6'-2" and 185 lbs. I would hope that is something he and MR are working on.

We could have had Mike Commodore for $1M but I think he has signed, could be wrong. He would have made a good 3rd line backup, he's only 32.

Gragnani was a wild card that Gillis talked up in lawyer like fashion but proved to be multiples less than what Gillis promised.

Rome is gone.To me it is like losing a wild card.Plays bottom pairing,strikes fear deep.Similar to the Torres loss.

Knock Sami if you want.Nobody has replaced him.Garrison is younger and bigger,but not a physical force like Rome and does not have the offensive abilities of Salo.

Lost two -gained one.

Without Hamhuis Bieksa is a three ,four d man.

Tanev is not going to hurt anyone and Alberts is not talented enough to play top six.

Ballard has to be relied upon and used effectively.

K Con is a disaster defensively and his skating ability is suspect.

Sauve was almost NHL ready before his accident and concussion.Let's hope he has healed sufficiently to become depth at the NHL leve.

Gragnani was a wild card that Gillis talked up in lawyer like fashion but proved to be multiples less than what Gillis promised.

Rome is gone.To me it is like losing a wild card.Plays bottom pairing,strikes fear deep.Similar to the Torres loss.

Knock Sami if you want.Nobody has replaced him.Garrison is younger and bigger,but not a physical force like Rome and does not have the offensive abilities of Salo.

Lost two -gained one.

Without Hamhuis Bieksa is a three ,four d man.

Tanev is not going to hurt anyone and Alberts is not talented enough to play top six.

Ballard has to be relied upon and used effectively.

K Con is a disaster defensively and his skating ability is suspect.

Sauve was almost NHL ready before his accident and concussion.Let's hope he has healed sufficiently to become depth at the NHL leve.

Anyone else slightly concerned that Garrison may end up in the AV's dog house like Ballard? I would hate to have a bottom pairing of Ballard - Garrison playing 12 minutes a game costing the team 9 million in cap space.

This is how I hope the pairings are formed:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev/Joslin

What needs work most is our Powerplay

pairings. Having Hamhuis out there last year made me sick. He has no offensive upside. Both Edler and Garrison have big shots, let's split

them up to maximize it.

I would love to see this:

Kassian - Sedin - Sedin

Edler - Bieksa

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Ballard - Garrison

I think the depth of the Canuck's defence is just fine, especially if Connauton and Sauve are ready to make the jump.

Maybe re-sign Parent or look at a Commodore-type, $1M guy for a little more depth.

Bieksa-Hammer

Garrison-Eddie

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts

Joslin

K-Con

Sauve

Mullen

Andersson

Polasek

Corrado

Out: Salo (broken), Rome, Gragnani

In: Garrison, Joslin, Mullen

Seems like the depth is fine, to me.

:towel::canucks:

Ballard-Tanev is a quality 3rd pairing but perhaps skating and speed should not necessarily be the priority for the 3rd pairing. For now it's fine but I wouldn't be opposed to Ballard being dealt and replaced with a bigger, meaner sturdy presence from within the system or outside the organization.

Salo -10 year Canuck and 761 regular season games played.

Rome- 3 year Canuck and 174 reg season games played

935 reg season games of experience gone replaced by 304 games of experience in the newcomers.

Salo had 100 post season games of experience,alone.

Joslin- 114 NHL games played

Mullen -0 NHL games played

Garrison -190 NHL reg season games played

Archived