The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are The Players Being Used Properly?

Erik Karlsson

IMO some of the problems we have with such a talented roster is that some of our players are not being used properly, or to their full potential.

Ballard - Should be given power play time, great skater and can make offensive plays, capable and plays better when given more minutes, but rarely gets them

Hodgson - Should have been given a few games to center Kesler and Booth to see how it worked out especially when Kesler wouldn't pass to save his life, also would have shut him and his dad up and we could have packaged him up with Luongo or something this offseason, Lu + Hodgson for Gardiner + 5th overall?

Raymond - Should stay on the third line, great speed, great backchecker, doesn't have the vision or balance to be a consistent top 6 but is a good third liner who can chip in offensively

Rome - Got more ice time and playing time then Ballard it seems? Even got power play time over him, awesome depth defenceman, but no way he should have seen power play time over the other options we had.

Bieksa - gets too much ice time sometimes and that's when his brain farts start to come in.

Kassian - 4th line

Anyone else you guys can think of? I feel if they used all their players better we would see more games where were firing on all cylinders instead of a few guys doing good and some doing bad etc.

Just some random thoughts. :P

Yeah that's why he was so prepared for the Kings in the playoffs without Daniel, what an awesome coach. You must not watch much games if you can't see AV likes to play favorites..

and I'm sure the GM, scouts etc, know all the rest, so why even bother posting here?

Yeah that's why he was so prepared for the Kings in the playoffs without Daniel, what an awesome coach. You must not watch much games if you can't see AV likes to play favorites..

and I'm sure the GM, scouts etc, know all the rest, so why even bother posting here?

IMO some of the problems we have with such a talented roster is that some of our players are not being used properly, or to their full potential.

Ballard - Should be given power play time, great skater and can make offensive plays, capable and plays better when given more minutes, but rarely gets them

Agreed

Hodgson - Should have been given a few games to center Kesler and Booth to see how it worked out especially when Kesler wouldn't pass to save his life, also would have shut him and his dad up and we could have packaged him up with Luongo or something this offseason, Lu + Hodgson for Gardiner + 5th overall?

But then other teams would have seen that he was not ready for that role and decrease his trade value

Raymond - Should stay on the third line, great speed, great backchecker, doesn't have the vision or balance to be a consistent top 6 but is a good third liner who can chip in offensively

Higgins and Hansen are both far better suited for the 3rd line winger roles. I think Raymond can be fine as a player but the truth is he just doesnt fit into our roster. He is a top 6 forward style with bottom 6 skills, and we have better players suited for the bottom 6. It is unfortunate for him but I think it is time for him to move on. I think he could really thrive on the proper team with good playing time (Jets maybe, look at Wellwood)

Rome - Got more ice time and playing time then Ballard it seems? Even got power play time over him, awesome depth defenceman, but no way he should have seen power play time over the other options we had.

Agreed, but love is a crazy thing.

Bieksa - gets too much ice time sometimes and that's when his brain farts start to come in.

Disagree. Bieksa makes mistakes (along with the rest of our dman), but his upside is worth it.

Kassian - 4th line

I think that it would have been better for him to have spent his time in the minors last year instead of rushed into the playoffs. I have no doubt this guy is going to be an quality top 6 forward in the future, and I think he needs top line minutes in either the canucks or the wolves. I doubt he cracks the top 6 so I think he should play down, because the 4th line is no place for him to learn.

Kesler. We need to look at other options with him on the wing. Although he is putting up good points I think his ceiling could be higher on the wing.

Anyone else you guys can think of? I feel if they used all their players better we would see more games where were firing on all cylinders instead of a few guys doing good and some doing bad etc.

Kassian - 4th line

While I was thinking this, for the most part I trust that MG knows what he is doing...

SO, if he gave AV and extension, maybe AV deserved it?

This is what is so confusing. To me, it was very obvious that there are better options in the NHL for coaches over AV...BUT, if I trust MG, doesn't that mean, I have to trust that AV is the best candidate for the Canucks?

The only player who really wasn't used properly was Kassian. AV would have probably rather sent him down to the Wolves to develop some more, but I suspect he was basically forced to try to play him to not make Gillis look foolish for dealing away Hodgson in a season where we were positioned to make a legitimate Cup run.

I have nothing against Kassian and I do hope (and believe) that he'll develop into a strong power forward. I still struggle to see how that trade was ever going to do anything to benefit the team LAST YEAR - it handcuffed AV.

Besides, if so many players were used wrong, how did we win the President's Trophy? I don't think the Canucks are THAT much more skilled than the other teams out there. Or maybe it's just that all the other coaches in the NHL made even worse use of their players than AV?

Archived