The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bjugstad will remain with the University of Minnesota next year

Minnesota junior Nick Bjugstad announced today that he is returning to the Golden Gopher hockey team for the 2012-13 season.

"This is the right spot for me," said Bjugstad. "I am going to be close to finishing my education and hopefully can accomplish the goal that I have had ever since I was little, which is winning a national championship. We are going to have a good team this year and hopefully get another chance at the national championship and make a run there. I feel I can develop here and become more of a leader on the team as well. Hopefully, I will have a good season."

The 6’5”, 211-pound center from Blaine, Minn., was named All-WCHA First Team and Second-Team All-American after recording 42 points in 40 games as a sophomore. He led Minnesota with 25 goals (tied for fifth in the nation) and also added 17 assists as he finished third on the team in points. His 25 goals were the most scored by a Gopher since Ryan Potulny had 38 in 2005-06. Minnesota was 20-6-1 when he had a point last season.

Bjugstad, who will turn 20 next Tuesday, recorded 21 of his points (9g-12a) in 16 road games and he had a point in 13 of 16 games away from Mariucci Arena. He was +21 on the season and tied for second on the team in power-play goals (8). He also led the team in shooting percentage (17.2%) and faceoffs (of players who have taken more than 50 faceoffs) with a 57.9% success rate.

"We are obviously excited Nick is returning," said coach Don Lucia. "I think Nick felt that he had a little bit more room to grow as a person and as a player. The great thing is that at the end of his junior year is that he will be very close to graduating college. He can be a leader on our team and he feels he can continue to get better in our program. He made great strides his first two years and we are confident he is going to make great strides during his junior year.

Bjugstad, who was a first-round selection of the Florida Panthers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, was named the national Player of the Month for November after recording 13 points and nine goals. He was also named the WCHA Offensive Player of the Week for Nov. 22.

It's another year in college in case anyone was wondering.

I think it's probably the right move for him, although he probably has the tools to make some sort of impact at the pro level.

Top centre in the WCHA, that's saying something. He wants to finish his education, that's fine. The real concern here should be of another possible signing year being burned by attending school. By this I mean the Schultz situation wherein Bjugstad would stay the full four years without being signed and going to free agency. Something to think about.

Might decrease his value for Florida if they had plans for him to play on their team next season, or if they're afraid he'll pull a Schultz. Who knows.

I would still want him in a trade even if he wouldn't be on our roster next season because i think he's a better solution for us for the third line center position then Schroeder going forward.

Top centre in the WCHA, that's saying something. He wants to finish his education, that's fine. The real concern here should be of another possible signing year being burned by attending school. By this I mean the Schultz situation wherein Bjugstad would stay the full four years without being signed and going to free agency. Something to think about.

Him, Howden, Matthias, Theodore for Luongo, 1st and 2nd

but I think Gillis really wants Gudbrunson (spl?)

so I think It will be Gudbrunson (spl?), Matthias and Theodore for Luongo, Ballard, and a first.

Remember Ballard played well for Florida, it could be the spark he needs.

Yeah, and then Gillis gets to bend Dale Tallon over and ass-rape him on the Jumbotron!

People here are just delusional if they think we'll get anything decent for Luongo! He's known all over the league as a rather massive choke-artist and an even bigger prima donna (being a goalie, teams will probably ignore the prima donna bit, but they sure as hell aren't going to ignore the choking - how's Cloutier's career doing nowadays?). Not to mention the insane contract he forced us into (then, started playing like a backup as soon as he signed the deal).

That wouldnt be a problem. The only reason why Schultz became a UFA was because he found a loop hole in the CBA where if went back to play another year of Jr (which he did) after he got drafted and then went to school for a certain amount of years then dropped out he could become a UFA. Tried to explain as best as I could...Bjugstad went to U of Minn right after he got drafted so he would still be apart of the Panthers if he dropped out of school early or finished his 4 years there.

Interesting. Wonder if the Panthers are concerned he'll pull a Schultz? He was born in Minny, plays Uni hockey in Minny, the Wild have a ton of great young prospects .....

Either way, this news kind of sucks for Gillis. I have a feeling he wants a center out of Florida, might be tougher now that Jugs isn't joining the team (unless, say Schroeder goes the other way). We shall see...

Interesting. Wonder if the Panthers are concerned he'll pull a Schultz? He was born in Minny, plays Uni hockey in Minny, the Wild have a ton of great young prospects .....

Either way, this news kind of sucks for Gillis. I have a feeling he wants a center out of Florida, might be tougher now that Jugs isn't joining the team (unless, say Schroeder goes the other way). We shall see...

Archived