The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Key Elements + Projection

Nuxenberg

AY, whats happening all! Repping the O, rather the Okanagan.

Just signed up, have read many o' post over the years. Wazzzzzzzzzzzzaaappppp!

(remember that commercial?) Man i still do that sometimes on the phone.

Anyyyhooo, straight to the point. Since the end of last season i've been kind of

figuring that 3 things needed to happen this upcoming offseason/year in order to

not only be able to perhaps win a 3rd consecutive prez, but also to go on another

long cup run, and this time hopefully capping it.

I've heard most Nuck fans echoing the same first 2 sentiments, which are:

1) Get a legit top six forward for the group. (eg: Doan,Semin) Or in my opinion, even

Jensen would suit the top 6 quite nicely, i really like this kid, he reminds me

of Gabe Landeskog. Nonetheless, 1 of those 3 or if we were able to insert 2 (say Doan+Jensen)

i think that would be almost lethal and a great mix.

and, 2) Get a legit top 2 defensemen for the group. (I havent watched Garrison much but

perhaps he will contend for a 'top 2' title, i initially thought he was more a 3/4.) But

i think if KConn makes the squad, we would still have great balance/size with the guys we have,

could be a pretty awesome group! And if we got Weber somehow next year/or this, that

would basically put the Nucks defensive corps through the roof, but i think it will still

be awesome as is.

KEY: i think the 3rd most important factor that would really turn the machine loose in a different

dimension then we've seen in awhile, is some YOUNG BLOOD, i think this is really key.

WE started down that road with Hodgson last year and then kind of started over without him.

Supposedly Gillis has also talked about getting 'younger' this year so i hope he follows

through and allows a couple of the young guns to work their way onto the club. Even

if it means having to trade/sit a couple guys like raymond/baly/manny(i love manny).

Man i like baly ballard to, he works hard and sticks up for his teammates but i dont

think he's ever gonna get the proper opportunity here, especially now. Would be nice to

see him playing top 4 in a place wheres he's needed/wanted.

...I think some strategic youngblood inserted throughout the lineup (say 1 or 2 in the top 9,

1 or 2 on D, and maybe Lack in the back) would not only be fun and exciting for fans

(giving the team a bit of a new face(s) and feel), but i think its also neccessary and could

take this team to a different level.

*And i've read enough posts over the years to figure i should leave a disclaimer:

...there may be multiple grammar mistakes, perhaps some words/players names misspelled, perhaps even some players 'mis-positioned' (wrong side/wing), if thats even a word. So suffice to say, please forgive me if so. I'm just typing along.

...Anyyyhooo, many may say Jensen should only be on the 3rd/or in Sweden, but he almost cracked the lineup last year even, and looked super solid, so i guess we'll see what haps but like i say,

he reminds me of Gabe, also reminds me a bit of Nazzy to, i think he'll be special.

Him and Burrows could of course switch from 1st to 3rd back and forth when things start slowing as well.

But yeah, i was just trying to construct a good looking lineup that was balanced and

had strategic young blood placed throughout. Would love to see most of these guys

make the squad, could be cray!

...and if we don't get doan, then ray/manny get in and/or

whoever we get in the LUUUU trade, cuz someone like Versteeg

would look sick on that 2nd line to.

and my quick Luuu thought, i love Lu, he's an awesome fella, took ALOT of

unwarrented heat over the years, but i do think his reflexes are slowing

and Schneids reminds of me of a young Timmy Thomas so i think its right that

Schneids is the man now.

Also, Joslin, i think this is a good sleeper pickup. I remember Nucks playing

Carolina last year and he was TOUGH, didn't take any kind of messing around

in the crease, was straight clearing it out. And i remember thinking 'man, nucks

need some D like that'. Our D have been kinda 'small' and untough for awhile now and we've

lacked the ability to clear the crease. Like maybe Bieska gives someone the mean face,

but for the most part our guys just skate off so its good to have dudes like Joslin

keeping folk out of the crease. Think he's the toughest defender we got, last couple years combined.

I'd like to see how Mallet's camp goes as well, dude looks skilled and tough to. Nux def need it.

He might jump ahead of Pinny and Patti if theres any injuries on the 4th or whatever.

Man, Pinny/Patti/Manny/Mallet/Ray/ might need a 5th line, to many dudes.

but Anyyyhooo, Drum rolllllllllllllllllllllll.............

...my idea of the starting lineup(minus Kesler) looks something like this for 2012/13...pending trades etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Schroeder-Burrows

Hansen-Lapierre-Kassian

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Connauton-Tanev

Ballard-Joslin

Schneider

Lack/Someone

***However, I think if Doan or other import top 6 signs here

then that might keep Jensen out another year,

but if no Doan or other import top 6 is signed, i like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Jensen

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Mallet-Lapierre-Kassian

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Connauton-Tanev

Ballard-Joslin

Schneider

Lack/Someone

______________________________________________________________________________________

*And if you need an advil at this point, i dont blame you. LoL.

Top of the day to you all! Christ is Life! Matthew 5:6. :) peacccccccce.

TL;DR

Couldnt get passed the first paragraph, may I suggest editing it out.

Looked at your line up. Jensen will likely need seasoning in the A.

Instead you have him overtaking a 35 goal scorer in Burrows and banashing him to the third line for a kid who's never played in a professional league.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Hansen-Lapierre-Kassian

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Connauton-Tanev

Ballard-Joslin

Schneider

Lack/Someone

Not a bad line up, IF we get Doan, but you seem to forget we just resigned Raymond. Jensen and Schreoder don't seem ready. Also, where's Malhotra? Pinnizotto?, Ebbett? Volpatti? They would all play before a kid with little NHL experience. We have quite a roster of signed forwards, but I admit adding another top 6 guy would be huge.

For the D, I would think AV would continue with Hamhuis/Bieksa as the top pair.

You also haven't thought about what a Luongo trade might bring. MG will get some assests back, either in D, Forward or prospects, or both (or a dog contract too probably)

Cheers

AY, whats happening all! Repping the O, rather the Okanagan.

Just signed up, have read many o' post over the years. Wazzzzzzzzzzzzaaappppp!

(remember that commercial?) Man i still do that sometimes on the phone.

*And if you need an advil at this point, i dont blame you. LoL.

Top of the day to you all! Christ is Life! Matthew 5:6. :) peacccccccce.

TL;DR

Couldnt get passed the first paragraph, may I suggest editing it out.

Looked at your line up. Jensen will likely need seasoning in the A.

Instead you have him overtaking a 35 goal scorer in Burrows and banashing him to the third line for a kid who's never played in a professional league.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Hansen-Lapierre-Kassian

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Connauton-Tanev

Ballard-Joslin

Schneider

Lack/Someone

Not a bad line up, IF we get Doan, but you seem to forget we just resigned Raymond. Jensen and Schreoder don't seem ready. Also, where's Malhotra? Pinnizotto?, Ebbett? Volpatti? They would all play before a kid with little NHL experience. We have quite a roster of signed forwards, but I admit adding another top 6 guy would be huge.

For the D, I would think AV would continue with Hamhuis/Bieksa as the top pair.

You also haven't thought about what a Luongo trade might bring. MG will get some assests back, either in D, Forward or prospects, or both (or a dog contract too probably)

Cheers

Wow. Thank you for your post. I see you put a lot of thought into it !

+1

Lots of good points . I dont think we get Semin unless he swears up and down hes going to put up an effort every shift. And I think there is a chance Doan's agent has been gaming the media to hype up his clients value to the Yotes.

Welcome to the boards and nice first post.

I like the direction you are going with the line-up however as stated by others it's hard to believe that Schroeder and Jensen will take roster spots away from guys like Manny,May-Ray and Ebbett. However if Jensen has a better camp then last year he may just steal one of those spots and get a chance to start the season but i can't see both guys making the team. The same can said of KConn. While he's great and definitely almost ready to make the jump he will need a strong training camp to crack opening day roster.

Great disclaimer...and interesting points made.

Would definitely agree point 1...we need a top 6 forward...power forward with skills (sorry to others for agreeing with the obvious and well covered topic).

I think our top 4 D stack up pretty well, though Garrison has only two full years on his resume. I hope the Pro Scouts are right with their assessment that Garrison's trajectory is on ward and up ward. He missed 5 reg and 3 po games this year and 9 reg games in 2010-2012, so though he's more durable than, say Salo, he's not bullet proof. Same thing for Hamhuis and Ballard...they were pretty durable until they got to Vancouver. But healthy, our top 4 looks pretty good, and Ballard/Tanev, and Alberts/Joslin platooning, I like our defencse.

Agree with third point...we need to give younger players a legit shot in the NHL. A fourth line of Jensen LW -- Schroeder C -- Kassian RW will allow us to get younger. Give them 8-10 mins of ice time every game. This will undoubtedly cost us regular season points, but I think we have wiggle room because other NW Division teams (in spite of their upgrades - think Minny - and another year of experience - think Oilers) haven't progressed enough to challenge the Canucks for the division title. I suspect we have one year of this "luxury" left.

One other element we need to improve upon is collective mental toughness and maturity. When faced with adversity, we seem to become a team of whiners and divers. During the regular season, we saw a lot of quiet confidence and play between the whistles, but when pushed up against the wall by the Kings, the team reverted back to a lot of their bad habits. With all due respect to Henrik and his leadership qualities, we don't seem to have that one guy that rises above all else and makes the team better, tougher, and more mature. I thought Kesler vs. Preds in 2011 rd. 2 was going to be that guy, but he was one of the worst offenders in 2012 vs. the Kings. If this element can be addressed, then we become true contenders in 2011-2012 vs. the pretenders we were in 2011-2012.

Here's my disclaimer: I know the paragraph above sounds negative, but I truly am a Canucks fan and wish for the team to contend for the Cup in 2012-2013.

Because of our depth and contracts, Kassian may just need one year on the fourth line to settle in. Less pressure. Be physical. Playing in the top six implies some serious points/numbers expectations.

Third line? you better be a good checker (so the stereo type goes anyways)

So much depends on if we land Doan (or somebody like him) or not. Otherwise, Hello MayRay for another year of futility.

D is okay for now.

The fourth line has plenty of interchangeable parts again as usual (Volpatti, Lappy, Manny, Ebbet, Pinizotto, maybe Weise)

Another key is what to do we get for Lou? I would rather just have some picks and prospects for the far then get dumped with a old brutal salary hit dogger that needs to play top six because his salary says so.

Yes, we're all hoping for Doan, but I really wouldn't count on it.

No way Semin will ever wear a Canucks jersey. We don't want him and I really doubt MG does. Selfish, soft, whiney russian, the guy's got no heart, no grit. We need guys infront of the net, on the crease, not waaaay out in the slot close to the top of the circle.

Jensen will not crack the top 6 this year with AV behind the bench. The only reason CoHo did at all last year is because he was whining for a trade and they had to give him some "sheltered" scoring time to get more interest in the kid. We still only ended up with Kass, who might prove to be awesome one day, and CoHo may prove to be awesome one day too.

KConn is more of a puck mover, with young Tanev playing 3rd line I doubt we'll see much KConn unless.. well, a lot of injuries. I would bet Sauve is a better fit.

Ballard, AV has attempted to completely ruin Ballards career, I'd want out, you? Ballard skates with the puck well but is soft infront of his net which is why Rome played in Ballards place so often. Sauve is more of a Rome that can pass the puck, KConn is a Ballard.

Doan is the ideal pick-up. A tough RW with hands that will compliment the Sedins or give our 2nd line some real cred with Kes (upon his return). Exciting possibility, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up, the Canucks have a long history of dissapointing me.

Go Canucks Go!

EDIT: AV doesn't deal with rookies/ young players well. He might be the worst coach for a developing players which is why I don't think we'll see any of our prospects in sgnificant roles. Kass 4th line, Tanev 3rd pair. Nobody else is coming up.

Like, gnarly post duuuuuude!!!

"Wazzzzzzzzzzzzaaappppp!

(remember that commercial?) Man i still do that sometimes on the phone"

Seriously? I'm sure you hear alot of dial-tones immediately after, yes? I'm also from the Okanagan, Kelowna to be exact and I assure the rest of CDC's non-Okanagan residents we don't all answer the phone like that, lol.

Anyways, well thought out post. As another poster above said,

MAKE sure you have a discussion with AV to play the young players and not demote them when they do really well.

Archived