The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian: A Little Patience Required

UFCanuck

This article is stupid and ridiculous. I haven't heard any Canucks fans say they "hate" Zack Kassian--even those who were really unhappy about the Hodgson trade. Good work generalizing an entire fan base's feelings about a single player that isn't based on even a shred of truth. That is a great example of terrible, terrible writing.

Let's put it this way... if Kassian's offence doesn't develop, he becomes an energy line player who can probably chip in 20 points. If Hodgson's offence doesn't develop, he becomes totally worthless (a good comparison would be a Raymond without the skating ability).

I don't mean to put it in negative terms, but since that's what CDC's all about... :bigblush:

Nobody should be throwing Kassian under the bus. He's still just a kid and his true value is in his potential. Is he going to be as good as Hodgson will? Probably not. But it would be unrealistic to expect MG to pick up someone better than Hodgson when CoHo was the one who wanted out. No other team was going to part with a prospect who was every bit as good as Hodgson because they already had those guys ingrained in their team system and there was nothing to gain by trading them away for someone who was merely "equal".

This article is stupid and ridiculous. I haven't heard any Canucks fans say they "hate" Zack Kassian--even those who were really unhappy about the Hodgson trade. Good work generalizing an entire fan base's feelings about a single player that isn't based on even a shred of truth. That is a great example of terrible, terrible writing.

Well, this article, while it's all true...is clearly directed at the uneducated what have you done for me lately hop on the band wagon type of fan, pretty lame piece of journalism by whoever wrote it. But seriously, whoever gained insight from this article must have been in space.

The argument was never about Zach's potential and never will be.

Go back to trade day and you will discover the real issues.

Zach was presented as playoff ready and could be slotted in to a starting role.

When the entire emphasis is on winning a cup before the window closes Gillis traded a valuable,if not THE most valuable commodity the team had for the future.

His b.s. spin and the resulting aftermath are the issues,not Zach's potential.

"He still has a ways to go to develop I think into his full potential, but he is a NHL player now who is going to help us in a lot of different ways.

We wanted to get as fast and as big as we could going into these playoffs and we'll see how we did."

We now know that Kesler was hurt,Pahlsson and Gragnani were duds and Kassian played a bit role,at best.

So,Ellington and two fourth rounders for Pahlsson.

Two fourth rounders gone.

Ellington is gone.

Pahlsson is gone.

Sulzer is long gone.

Gragnani is gone.

Hodgson is long gone.

Essentially,seven players were discarded to secure Kassian and shore up Hodgson's positional loss for the playoff run.

Sulzer,meanwhile had a solid if not great start with the Sabres scoring 3 goals and adding 5 assists in 15 games.

On May 21, 2012, the Buffalo Sabres re-signed Sulzer to a one year contract extension worth $725,000.

In explaining the extension to media gathered at First Niagara Center, GM Darcy Regier said, “(Sulzer) played very well with Christian (Ehrhoff). And I think the other thing you really notice out there is his composure; his ability to not only break up plays defensively, but to make plays offensively with the patience that he showed. We were pleasantly surprised with his play, and that moved us toward getting him signed.

So far I am not impressed with his play. It seems like he is trying to play as a goon. All i saw from him when we had him was, hacking, chirping and trying to cause a fight ( only watched 5 games that he played here, I live in the east games end here at 1:30 am :wacko: )

He needs to use his big body for the corners, crashing the net and of course the big hit. He has all the makings to be a great second liner, speed,skill, size. Again he is young with little NHL experience, so that could be why he hasn't played to potential yet.

If he plays like what i want out of him, he could be a skilled version of Ryan Callahan

If not well he might be another forgotten name

My 2 cents

Tell me about it. The kid is 21 years old and people already want to throw him under the bus based on what 15 games or something like that? Give him a full season and training camp with the club and some room for error and he'll freaking blossom. I remember a time not too long ago when people on here were trying to run Hodgson out of town because he didn't make the big club right out of Jr.

What a joke some of these so called Canucks fan's are. This fan base is unfortunately a microcosm of this whole city it seems.

Kassian is just at the age when he will mature into a man. He was a big boy and now he is turning into a big man. Physically and emotionally he is maturing. As a hockey player hopefully he just keeps improving. Cam Neely and Todd Bertuzzi at his age were no where near the players they would become. Hopefully in a few years he will be being compared to them and not Shawn Antoski. I would settle for Jim Sandlak with a mean streak.

This is exactly why we have the AHL to DEVELOP players for the NHL: Why is it so wrong to have Zac playing regular minutes in Chicago instead of 5 minutes in Vancouver. Let's let him develop his potential into a force in the AHL that will hopefully make him a star in the NHL. IMO I see no need to ush him into the NHL.

from day one I liked what I saw in Kassian. Obviously I was a bit disappointed (and at the time) confused why we traded Hodgson, as I didn't/hadn't heard of anything about him wanting more ice time and wanting a trade, etc. But Kassian looked great this year imo. Sure he is not the top 6 player we need right now but in a few years this trade could be great. Kassian has great potential and like the rest of the players on this team, it will take him a few more years to develop and find his place on the team.

Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Edler, Bieksa, etc. did not just jump into their NHL spots they were casually brought up and used effectively and Kassian can do the same. Better yet, when Burrows was on the 3rd/4th line I didn't see him being on the top line he surprised all of us, and Kassian already has more potential than Burrows did. I look forward to seeing him develop into a top 6 guy that will be huge for us in a few years :)

(*Please note that I am not putting Burrows down. Just saying that when Burrows was in his first few years I never saw him as top line material. Glad to be proven wrong and am sure Kassian can do the same)

I hate how people say that he should have waited until the off season to trade CoHo for Kassian. They act like if we had CoHo in the line-up against the Kings we would have won. Hodgson doesn't make that big of a difference, even if we had Cody in the line-up against the Kings we would have lost.

We have loads of depth at centre and Hodgson never would have gotten ice-time over Sedin or Kesler. AV tried playing him on the wing and he wasn't any good at that. Kassian, on the other hand, is a natural right winger and he fills an organizational need. He's tough, a right winger (as mentioned before), and he's young. I've always liked Kassian and honestly when I heard about the trade I wasn't even upset. I knew Kassian was a monster and that he filled a team need.

It sucks though that no matter what you say you won't be able to change those peoples opinions. They're idiots who only like to criticize and never like to support the team. But hopefully Kassian goes out next year and breaks Marchand's nose and changes the opinion of all those "fans".

Todd Bertuzzi

• 6'3" 225lbs

• Drafted 23rd overall

• Joined the Canucks at the age of 22

• Was in his 3rd year with the Canucks before he played a full season and started to produce, earning 50 points.

Zack Kassian

• 6'3" 214lbs

• Drafted 13th overall

• Joined the Canucks at the age of 21

• Written off by Canucks fans as a bust in his first season where he played only 17 games

Archived