The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian: A Little Patience Required

UFCanuck

Thats the problem, we have too many hockey experts in Vancouver. How many people running their mouths on here have even played, or coached, hockey? It's a good thing that the players don't give a crap about your opinions, you might hurt their feelings. Ha

3 to 4 years before he's a solid top 6 guy.

But then he should remain in the top 6 for another 10 years,

and probably play on the top line for a good 5+ of those years.

It took the Sedins a long time to work their way onto the top line,

and they went #2 and #3 in their draft.

Patience... he will be very good, maybe even great down the road.

GMMG said Kassian was going to make an immediate impact (including the playoffs.)

I don't hate Kassian just the trade and the poor timing of it.

Seems this one will be judged in 5 years time if not longer and we might still have lost the trade.

Thats the problem, we have too many hockey experts in Vancouver. How many people running their mouths on here have even played, or coached, hockey? It's a good thing that the players don't give a crap about your opinions, you might hurt their feelings. Ha

I hate how people say that he should have waited until the off season to trade CoHo for Kassian. They act like if we had CoHo in the line-up against the Kings we would have won. Hodgson doesn't make that big of a difference, even if we had Cody in the line-up against the Kings we would have lost.

We have loads of depth at centre and Hodgson never would have gotten ice-time over Sedin or Kesler. AV tried playing him on the wing and he wasn't any good at that. Kassian, on the other hand, is a natural right winger and he fills an organizational need. He's tough, a right winger (as mentioned before), and he's young. I've always liked Kassian and honestly when I heard about the trade I wasn't even upset. I knew Kassian was a monster and that he filled a team need.

It sucks though that no matter what you say you won't be able to change those peoples opinions. They're idiots who only like to criticize and never like to support the team. But hopefully Kassian goes out next year and breaks Marchand's nose and changes the opinion of all those "fans".

GMMG said Kassian was going to make an immediate impact (including the playoffs.)

I don't hate Kassian just the trade and the poor timing of it.

Seems this one will be judged in 5 years time if not longer and we might still have lost the trade.

It's hard to believe with the stock that Cody had that Kassian was the best possible option. Many GMs didn't even know Hodgson was available, and I'm sure we could have gotten some immediate help had we added. Anaheim desperately needs a centreman, I'm sure packaging Hodgson for Ryan could have been worked out...

So, basically Gillis didn't really care about that season anymore? Trading a Calder contender on a team that's attempting to make another Cup run for a player in the AHL makes little to no sense. Especially when this could have been done in the off season. Make the trade, fine, but I think he did it too early. We dropped 20 goals and 40+ points out of the line up for nothing.

I dunno about hatred. I think even people who didn't like the trade understand that the GM trades the players and they really have no say in where they're going or who for. Hate for Kassian because we lost Hodgson would be totally irrational, although these are our fans we're talking about here so irrational is often the order of the day.

You ask me, it's probably best for Kassian to spend the next year in the AHL learning the Canucks' system and not having to deal with the constant pressure in Vancouver. He doesn't quite fit in the lineup right now, if the fourth line is Weise/Malhotra or Lapierre/Volpatti, Kassian's still too young to play in the top six, not a shutdown type to play on the third line, better to give him a year to really figure things out down there. Of course if he plays real well in camp and preseason I'd change my mind, but there's several guys he needs to beat out, like Jensen, which seems unlikely.

Archived