The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New CBA NHL makes initial offer

NHL has made their initial offer to the NHLPA. They have asked for drastic changes. While the final deal will fall somewhere in between the old one and the new proposal its expected that the new CBA will be quite different from the old one.

The league will fight to close some of the cap circumvention loop holes that exist in the current agreement.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/07/14/sp-nhl-collective-bargaining-agreement-negotiations.html

The NHL has made the first move in labour negotiations with its union.

Two media outlets reported Friday night that the league has made an initial offer to the NHL Players' Association with several major changes to the current collective bargaining agreement.

RDS.ca posted details of the proposal, including a reduction of players' hockey-related revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent.

Renaud Lavoie, a journalist with RDS, also reports that players would need to wait 10 seasons before becoming unrestricted free agents and that contracts would be limited to a maximum of five years.

The RDS story also says that the NHL's proposal would bring an end to salary arbitration and that entry-level contracts would be five years instead of three as they are under the current CBA.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post also tweeted that the NHL's proposal would eliminate signing bonuses on future contracts and mandate that all future deals have an equal value for every year of the contract.

"NHL proposal amounts to Declaration of War against NHLPA," added Brooks in a separate tweet.

Nothing wrong with the initial offer, of course it won't fly with the NHLPA but these things take time and if you start low you'll end up with little.

I am a big fan of the maximum of contracts being 5 years in length and salary being the same every year of the deal ( no frontend loaded garbage lol ).

Wow, lockout looming or what.

Unless most of those demands are complete phantoms there is no way I see the NHLPA accepting any of those as is, and most are a long ways off in negotiation. Lots of work to be done.

I'm all for term limits on contracts and an end to front loaded contracts.

10 years before UFA is also a good thing IMO. Currently it's 7 years. Teams draft and develop players only to lose them to free agency.

The league pbbly won't get 10 years but I can see them getting at least 8 and possibly 9 years.

The NBA and NFL recently signed agreements with their respective unions calling for 50/50 split in revenues. NHL will get a similar split from players getting 57/43 right now.

I'm all for these changes.

Weber can't be happy about these developments.

Even if the league doesn't get 10 years before UFA they will get a year or 2 added to the current 7 years.

If he wants to leave NSH he'll have to wait.

An end to cap circumvention will lose millions of dollars for Weber.

Why can't Bettman just learn to do his job. If he is really accountable to the owners then his primary focus should be of weeding out non-hockey markets like Pheonix and either Florida team. This would increase revenues for the owners without having to cut player revenues and salaries.

The rest of the proposed CBA is essentially just to piss off the NHLPA. I mean 10 year RFA, 5 year ELC? Why would anyone want to be drafted by the NHL?

What Bettman hasn't realized is if there is a lockout there is now a comparable league in the KHL that players can flee to and get ridiculous contracts. If the players call his bluff I could see the NHL being changed permanently for the worse.

I'm all for term limits on contracts and an end to front loaded contracts.

10 years before UFA is also a good thing IMO. Currently it's 7 years. Teams draft and develop players only to lose them to free agency.

The league pbbly won't get 10 years but I can see them getting at least 8 and possibly 9 years.

The NBA and NFL recently signed agreements with their respective unions calling for 50/50 split in revenues. NHL will get a similar split from players getting 57/43 right now.

I'm all for these changes.

Why can't Bettman just learn to do his job. If he is really accountable to the owners then his primary focus should be of weeding out non-hockey markets like Pheonix and either Florida team. This would increase revenues for the owners without having to cut player revenues and salaries.

The rest of the proposed CBA is essentially just to piss off the NHLPA. I mean 10 year RFA, 5 year ELC? Why would anyone want to be drafted by the NHL?

What Bettman hasn't realized is if there is a lockout there is now a comparable league in the KHL that players can flee to and get ridiculous contracts. If the players call his bluff I could see the NHL being changed permanently for the worse.

On top of the 54-46 split

Post has learned proposal not only would reduce share to 46% of HRR as per @RenLavoieRDS but would redfine HRR to dramatically reduce gross

So basically that 54-46 split looks 70-30 or probably even worse

Also for those of you that do understand what HRR is it is hockey related revenue which is where the split comes from

Not trying to specifically target you though you may think otherwise but that view point is pathetic.

Gary Bettman and his minions have basically declared an act of war against the NHLPA by insulting them with that offer. Remember, the players got screwed over in the last deal yet the owners were dumb enough to let them win. Bettman is not going to get what he wants. Fehr is not Goodenow, he has his boys in unison and this offer is absolutely pathetic. We all know there will be a lockout and I hope the PA burns the NHL. I am sick and tired of seeing my money which I use to go to Canucks games/ buy Canucks gear go to small market teams like Minnesota and Carolina who can then over spend for stars.

Salaries have ballooned over the past agreement. I don't know how any one can say the players got screwed.

Salaries go up because the cap goes up, the cap goes up because hockey related revenue goes up if the owners were losing so much money then hockey related revenue wouldn't be going up. What Bettman did in 2004 was force the players to accept a fixed percentage of the hockey related revenue. And now he is trying to cut that percentage by up to 11%, why should the players be held responsible for Gm's who sign players to ridiculous contracts or choose to prop up failing franchises. That is Bettmans responsibility but the reality all he cares about is making more money for the 30 Owners in the league. None of these owners are struggling, remember Leopold he bought the Preds for $ 80 million, cried about how he was losing so much money, sold for $ 193 million then turned around and bought the Wild and has just signed Suter and Parise to stupid contracts.

Don't think about this as millions of dollars, try to think like this is your wage at work. Your company makes x amount of dollars and you get a % of that profit (57%) as salary. Because the company is making money your salary has increased steadily over the past few years but now your boss is saying that you are only going to receive 46% of the profits and that he will take 56%. What is to stop him from saying 5 years down the road that you will only get 30%?

Yes hockey players make ludicrous amounts of money but owners make exponentially more more money. There is no way that owners can lose here unless the NHLPA decides to disband and negotiate contracts on a individual basis.

Archived