The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL CBA Offer and it's impact on Canucks Offseason

Goalline

After looking over the offer the NHL presented yesterday it seems as though a lockout is imminent and we would be lucky to have hockey back by the end of November.

Kesler should be ready to go by then, so the need for a return of a centerman in any Luongo deal or FA signing is less important in my opinion. We could still use some help down the middle for sure but maybe we can hold off if the price is too high right now.

An impending lockout is horrible for the NHL but maybe not that bad for the Canucks... Trying to look at the glass as half full

A Lockout is imminent I say because I want to sound authoratative! Hush all of my subjects, Hush, I know all.

Shut up man. Its negotiation, go read a book about it. You generally start very far away from where you'll settle because

1. As you give things up, you are giving things up you never wanted/expected to have

2. You expect the other side to be pretty distant from your best case so you start pretty far the other way and move to the middle

3. If you think the NHL puts out their best offer first you're crazy, its a business.

Now sit down subjects! a lockout is imminent.

Definitely no hockey for a while, maybe a full season like last time. The smart GM has to position himself for success under what will be the new rules. If you remember back to 2005, Edmonton jumped in ready and that lead to the only successful season they have had in a very long time. The new cap and rules will force teams into some unwanted and quick changes, so better be prepared.

A Lockout is imminent I say because I want to sound authoratative! Hush all of my subjects, Hush, I know all.

Shut up man. Its negotiation, go read a book about it. You generally start very far away from where you'll settle because

1. As you give things up, you are giving things up you never wanted/expected to have

2. You expect the other side to be pretty distant from your best case so you start pretty far the other way and move to the middle

3. If you think the NHL puts out their best offer first you're crazy, its a business.

Now sit down subjects! a lockout is imminent.

There probably will be a lockout.

Imo the pressure is on the league, in the last negotiation the players gave up alot, so it's the leagues turn this time.

Maybe if they fix something for league like the contracts, (which is probably the biggest issue), then the league can give the players most of the rest of what they want.

I have serious doubts about there being a season that starts on time because a lot of hockey insiders who know way more than me or you also believe the same way. Also, this offer will have backlash. You think Donald Fehr and co are going to take a slap in the face type of offer kindly? No. They will make sure to send an offer that is as unfair and albatross as well. We are headed down an ugly path. That is all I can say

Don't get me wrong I think proffessional athletes are overpaid in all sports but aren't the owners the ones signing these contracts and giving the ok? These owners are suppose to be smart money people, hence being rich in the first place so why give players these contracts. Do you need Bettman to set rules so you don't spend more then you should? This whole thing is on the owners in pro sports in general. Seriously Drew Brees is going to get paid 40 million dollars next year to play 16 football games INSANE!

Laoag no like bettman... nope nope nope.

I hoped that the experience from the last lock out would have created a real sense of urgency to get things done right. but it is still possible to avoid it. its called bartering! low ball offer is met by crazy high demands then they settle in the middle... hockey will be back on time!

Cant wait to see what garrison can do and how much jensen has improved!

It was an extreme offer from the owners that the NHLPA expected. This is how negotiations work. Now the players will offer their own unacceptable CBA and eventually the two sides will reach a middle. The players have already said they are willing to start the season without a contract in place. I think both sides know that another lockout would be an really dumb move. The owner's barely won the PR battle the first time, fans aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt again.

There will be guys from the last lock out stepping up saying "Its not worth it." The amount of money the players lose in a lock out season, they never make that money back. Can you imagine? Not being paid for an entire year?? The "minimum wage" guys suffer the most. But how about those guys who make 8.9 million a year?? Thats a tonne of money to not make in a year....If they arent great with their finances, like say blew all the money they already have and live by each year as they make their money (and lots of them do!). They bust out.

It would be stupid for the players NOT to meet in the middle eventually, the owners do hold all the cards.

Archived