The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(rambling) Canucks Centremen, manny, lappy, betts?

Jay86

I dont buy all of the speculation about the canucks needing a replacement 3rd line centre.

Malhotra, On March 16th, 2011, suffered his eye injury. He returned in June to play in the SCF. He then, after the canucks were eliminated in 7, he had another 'procedure' on his eyes. After healing, and rest he had 0 offseason. No training what so ever.

Now after having an exceptionally long off season, i know Malhotra has said that he has been training like "never-before" to return to his old-form.

I am very confident that he will be greatly improved from last season, maybe not quite what he was in his first season....but if he is playing centre on the 4th line.....i know he will be the best 4th line centre in the entire league.

Also, i think lappy made great strides this year. He showed that when he is focused on playing the game, he is capable of sliding up and down the lineup, and he might be landing on the 3rd line, and would that really be so bad??

Henrik, Kesler, Lappy, Manny, Schroeder, Reinprecht is still a UFA,

Still unsigned Centremen :

Gilbert Brule

damond langkow

jason arnott

john madden

brendan morrisson

blair betts

i guess what i am trying to say is that i think we have enough centres (upon kesslers return)

depth is nice. real nice, but i dont think that bringing in a centreman as part of the luongo trade is essential, there are still lots of decent verteran UFA options, most, would likely sign for relatively cheap if they are still unsigned in the next couple of weeks.

my dark horse blair betts... goes hard to the net.

After he was picked up on waivers by the canadiens, he was returned to philly because he failed his physical. Betts has said that it is a nagging injury, and he can definatley still play.

The most he has ever made is 700K....could be a great 'moneyball' project for gillis.

sorry for rambling

I'd be okay with Gillis picking up Arnott on a one year deal, for something around what he got last season ($2.875). He could play 2C until Kesler is back and in form, and then drop to the wing or 3C.

Of course, a lot of this depends upon whether Gillis has any cap space left (assuming the Canucks do manage to sign Doan and/or what assets come back in the assumed goalie trade).

regards,

G.

Betts' career is pretty much over now. I liked him when he played in Philly though.

We need a 2/3C who can move up with needed. Arnott would be a desperation choice (or forcing Schroeder into the lineup) but we really need to get a guy like Stoll or Goc through a trade.

I don't necessarily consider this a lot of centers. 1-2 more would give the team more depth. Kes needs some recovery time, Manny has to re-prove himself, and Schroeder has no NHL ice time. That leaves us with a sure thing in Hank and Lappy.

Missing from the list is Andrew Ebbett, but I only see him as a back up plan till Kes recovers.

So, my options would be

1) Sign Arnott to a one year deal (no cost in future, just an element of risk based on age)

2) Package Marcel Goc in the Luongo to Florida deal (along with other pieces) Florida currently has centers that include Weiss, Mueller, Goc, Santorelli, Matthias, and Smithson (Smithson is listed as RW for Florida, but played C for Nashville)

Honestly regarding the mention of getting a center back in a trade, i don't think we need a center. I think we need a playmaking winger... or a playmaking center if Kesler is willing to go back to the wing like he did with Sundin. As of right now second line is Booth/Higgins and kesler. With raymond resigned it looks like he will try for that line aswell.

Like we've all seen last year. Grinders can't really get the job done and thats what the nucks mostly have aside from the sedins. Dont get me wrong i love our players and their hard work. But we need someone who doesnt think shoot first on that 2nd line to help whoever is on that line along with Kes.

Injuries and recoveries did play a factor into the poor play but still when we lost hodgson who is a pretty solid playmaker and has a helluva shot, it just didnt look the same for the nucks.

Jochen Hecht. About a 40 point producer and worth about 2-3 million. One of the most underated and forgotten players in the NHL.

That being said, Pinizotto can play center.

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Malhotra - Hansen

Kassian - Pinizotto - Volpatti

Not bad. I'd much rather have Hecht in there on that 3rd line spot though.

Honestly regarding the mention of getting a center back in a trade, i don't think we need a center. I think we need a playmaking winger... or a playmaking center if Kesler is willing to go back to the wing like he did with Sundin. As of right now second line is Booth/Higgins and kesler. With raymond resigned it looks like he will try for that line aswell.

Like we've all seen last year. Grinders can't really get the job done and thats what the nucks mostly have aside from the sedins. Dont get me wrong i love our players and their hard work. But we need someone who doesnt think shoot first on that 2nd line to help whoever is on that line along with Kes.

Injuries and recoveries did play a factor into the poor play but still when we lost hodgson who is a pretty solid playmaker and has a helluva shot, it just didnt look the same for the nucks.

Jochen Hecht. About a 40 point producer and worth about 2-3 million. One of the most underated and forgotten players in the NHL.

That being said, Pinizotto can play center.

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Malhotra - Hansen

Kassian - Pinizotto - Volpatti

Not bad. I'd much rather have Hecht in there on that 3rd line spot though.

Because if you don't hit you cant be a 3rd line player? Thats such a crock, hes average in the FO but can play all 3rd forward positions, his versatility brings alot. Hes a very good 2nd 3rd line tweener type of player that we need with Kes being out and our 3rd line C position up in the air. Hes a guy who kills penalties extremely well plays the full 200 feet of the rink and can move up and down your line up.

Sedin Sedin Burr

Raymond Hecht Booth

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Volpatti Malhotra Kassian

Once Kes comes back you dump Lappy to the 4th, Hecht to the 3rd and slot Kes back onto the 2nd line. Hes a great fit for the situation were in. And hes not so high profile that if Schroeder comes in a lights the world on fire that we'll have a problem having Jordan fill in that 2nd line spot until Kes is back.

At 2mill or less Hecht would be one of the best under the radar pick ups a contending team can make this offseason, especially if they're looking for versatility moving forward.

Archived