The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

PunjabiCanuck

Edler has to go there's no way in the world we win a cup with him eating heavy top 4 minutes in the playoffs and him getting walked around, playing his usual clumsy self, taking penalties and getting caught out of position and all this while being the softest player on the team with no heart.

The only good Edler brings is his points and most of those are just from playing with world class players like the Sedins and Kesler doing a great job of screening the front of the net.

Edler's had ample time to come around defensively and is still a libility in his own zone when the games are important.

I have been saying this guy will never step up for a couple years now and unfortunately he continues to prove me right.

It's clearly time to cut bait this is a cup contender that can't have these types of glaring weaknesses.

I would trade Luongo to someone and get something the Preds would want and package up Edler with that and others for a Webber in a heartbeat it's a no brainer.

This team needs to do something soon or we will never win a damn cup.

Edler has to go there's no way in the world we win a cup with him eating heavy top 4 minutes in the playoffs and him getting walked around, playing his usual clumsy self, taking penalties and getting caught out of position and all this while being the softest player on the team with no heart.

The only good Edler brings is his points and most of those are just from playing with world class players like the Sedins and Kesler doing a great job of screening the front of the net.

Edler's had ample time to come around defensively and is still a libility in his own zone when the games are important.

I have been saying this guy will never step up for a couple years now and unfortunately he continues to prove me right.

It's clearly time to cut bait this is a cup contender that can't have these types of glaring weaknesses.

I would trade Luongo to someone and get something the Preds would want and package up Edler with that and others for a Webber in a heartbeat it's a no brainer.

This team needs to do something soon or we will never win a damn cup.

A am a great admirer of Edler but I just feel he does not provide a physical presence on our team. If we didn't have Tanev, Hamhuis and Garrison (everyone says he is physical but he looks tamer than Edler) then I would say he was a "keeper."

However as I feel the team needs defence I would have to stick with Hamhuis and CT (and a more muscled CT surely this coming season) and part with Edler in exchange for some serious "physicality".

We could of course look at trading Balllard but I think he is just coming onto some big seasons for us if he stays healthy. Ballard is also not afraid to be physical when a team mate is being bullied or our goalie is being molested. So I say keep Ballard or even play Ballard in Edler's position and get a big young ballsy 3rd liner like Sbisa.

I'm not sure if the Ducks would part with Sbisa but I see him as a player who would (maybe with Tanev) work his way up our lines in years to come. He would be a great investment and doesn't stand for any "nonsense" from anyone.

A am a great admirer of Edler but I just feel he does not provide a physical presence on our team. If we didn't have Tanev, Hamhuis and Garrison (everyone says he is physical but he looks tamer than Edler) then I would say he was a "keeper."

However as I feel the team needs defence I would have to stick with Hamhuis and CT (and a more muscled CT surely this coming season) and part with Edler in exchange for some serious "physicality".

We could of course look at trading Balllard but I think he is just coming onto some big seasons for us if he stays healthy. Ballard is also not afraid to be physical when a team mate is being bullied or our goalie is being molested. So I say keep Ballard or even play Ballard in Edler's position and get a big young ballsy 3rd liner like Sbisa.

I'm not sure if the Ducks would part with Sbisa but I see him as a player who would (maybe with Tanev) work his way up our lines in years to come. He would be a great investment and doesn't stand for any "nonsense" from anyone.

The problem is, with most of the people posting right now only being 12 years old, they lack the mental capacity to remember anything before the last 'family guy'.

Edler is a beast. Has been for a while. Will be more so soon.

He had a bad series yes, but so did the whole team.

Does anyone remember the playoffs last year? The year before that? His hits were huge. Defense was more or less solid.

He is young and only getting better.

People saying trade him need to focus on their studies and put the controller down.

How physical do you want him to be? He has progressed over the years in terms of physicality. He's finished top 35 among all defensemen over the last two seasons. Not great, but not close to being bad or under performing in that aspect in any way. And those that are more physical than him in terms of hits (based on last season) had less points than him, except for: Chara, Weber. I believe those are the only players quickly looking over the list. I may be wrong, it is late after all.

Edler is NOT a big hitter (I think he ranked 35th, Garrison is 46th) he can hit now and again but he is not someone feared for his hits (despite him hitting a few "lightweights" in the videos).......my idea of being physical is someone prepared to protect a team mate or the net minder and be capable of backing his physical play up.

For example Ballard is 64th in league hits against Boston..........Edler is 120th

Against another hard team NYR, Alberts is 24th and Edler is 99th

Instead of bringing the debate onto something not under discussion, read my post properly. I didn't say he wasn't a good player. My post was about why we imo could trade him before some of the others D players.

By the way I thought he was poor in the playoffs

Edler is NOT a big hitter (I think he ranked 35th, Garrison is 46th) he can hit now and again but he is not someone feared for his hits (despite him hitting a few "lightweights" in the videos).......my idea of being physical is someone prepared to protect a team mate or the net minder and be capable of backing his physical play up.

For example Ballard is 64th in league hits against Boston..........Edler is 120th

Against another hard team NYR, Alberts is 24th and Edler is 99th

Instead of bringing the debate onto something not under discussion, read my post properly. I didn't say he wasn't a good player. My post was about why we imo could trade him before some of the others D players.

By the way I thought he was poor in the playoffs

The problem is, with most of the people posting right now only being 12 years old, they lack the mental capacity to remember anything before the last 'family guy'.

Edler is a beast. Has been for a while. Will be more so soon.

He had a bad series yes, but so did the whole team.

Does anyone remember the playoffs last year? The year before that? His hits were huge. Defense was more or less solid.

He is young and only getting better.

People saying trade him need to focus on their studies and put the controller down.

Edler is good but had a terrible playoffs one of the worst players on the ice any series , a real stinker, if moving him lands Weber so be it but i think with a bit of time be can be a total beast. as long as he doesn't try to rape us on next contract he might be worth re-upping. Be nice to keep him as long as that drop pass rubbish stays far away and he plays like he's on bath salts smashing everything in sight.

Haha Edler has a handful of big hits in a 82 game season and he's a big hitter??

That's how some of the foolish Canucks fans always are looking through the rose colored glasses ignoring the fact that Edler brings just as much bad to the team then he does good.

Last years playoffs only?? I wish it was just last years playoffs. The guy has sucked defensively since he started and nothings changed especially in the big games its brutal. I don't see how anyone could be so stupid and blind not to notice it's almost laughable.

As far as hits go if i had to count of all the times Edler try's to hit and misses and ends up getting scored on it would be far more then his few big hits. The gus is scared sh1tle$$ of confrontation. It's sop bad at times i noticed that when he gets picked on after a hit or 2 he throws he's so scared he just stops hitting.

The fact is Edler has always had the skill set to be good but unfortunately for us his downside outweighs his upside on most nights and at this point i just wish they would trade him.

Sadly in the clutch Edler is almost always useless.

Haha Edler has a handful of big hits in a 82 game season and he's a big hitter??

That's how some of the foolish Canucks fans always are looking through the rose colored glasses ignoring the fact that Edler brings just as much bad to the team then he does good.

Last years playoffs only?? I wish it was just last years playoffs. The guy has sucked defensively since he started and nothings changed especially in the big games its brutal. I don't see how anyone could be so stupid and blind not to notice it's almost laughable.

As far as hits go if i had to count of all the times Edler try's to hit and misses and ends up getting scored on it would be far more then his few big hits. The gus is scared sh1tle$$ of confrontation. It's sop bad at times i noticed that when he gets picked on after a hit or 2 he throws he's so scared he just stops hitting.

The fact is Edler has always had the skill set to be good but unfortunately for us his downside outweighs his upside on most nights and at this point i just wish they would trade him.

Sadly in the clutch Edler is almost always useless.

Archived