The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why The Canucks Should Sign Shane Doan To A 3-4 Year Contract

Franz Liszt

Hi.

I was taking a look at past and present players who played in the NHL until they were 40 and how they played. I will do a comparison a little further into the post.

REASONS TO SIGN HIM 3-4 YEARS:

- Bring cap-hit down

- Leadership

- Big guy with a lot left to give

- Make our team a little more feared and our top-6 more deadly and diverse

- Mentors the younger guys

- More chance to win the Stanley Cup on a great team

REASONS TO NOT SIGN HIM 3-4 YEARS:

- May retire, so we'd be stuck with his cap-hit

- Declining production, which I don't really see much of that

- More injury prone perhaps

Can you think of other real reasons to not sign him?

Here is my comparison of how well players played between ages 36-40:

Teemu Selanne: 229 points in 227 games - And still going, proving age doesn't matter

Brian Rolston: 95 points in 215 games - Didn't look like he was trying at times, especially with NYI

Trevor Linden: 53 points in 221 games - Small injuries and bottom-6 roles played in to low production

Bill Guerin: 203 points in 314 games - Depended on his linemates, like when he was with Crosby

Ray Whitney: 269 points in 319 games - Small guy, also proves that age doesn't matter

Mats Sundin: 106 points in 115 games - PPG in playoffs with Canucks, didn't lose much

Brendan Shanahan: 203 points in 256 games: He did decline in production in his last 2 years

Mike Modano: 191 points in 310 games - He also declined and begin getting injured more at age 38

Dr. Mark Recchi: 225 points in 299 games - He didn't really lose much all the way to age 43

Joe Sakic: 239 points in 223 games - Once again, age doesn't matter

There are many more, but I stopped after 1o players.

I feel Doan would be around the 50 point mark if he were put with the Sedins. Why?

Because Doan has always been put with skilled guys like Whitney, Briere, Langkow, Roenick, Tkachuk & Jokinen. Doan is the one who creates space with hitting, and gets open after taking an opposing player down.

You have to admit that kind of play would be beneficial for the Sedins.

If Doan was put on the Sedin line, there would be a lot more goal scoring and a lot less pushing around of Henrik and Daniel.

My offers for him would be these:

3 years @ $16.5 million. $5.500 cap hit - Front loaded

1st year - $7.25 million

2nd year - $6.25 million

3rd year - $3 million

OR

4 years @ $21 million. $5.250 cap hit - Front loaded

1st year - $7.5 million

2nd year - $6.5 million

3rd year - $4 million

4th year - $3 million

Thoughts?

Thanks for the post. It really looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

I am looking at 2 years max for Shane and that is not what other teams would pay . But our situation is different than other teams and I would pass.

If he was 31 , then I would sign him for 4 years.

Nice Job, OP

He will Sign with PHX

I can also see a Sundin, Messier sequel with Doan, leadership is not worth 5mil /year

A guy this old is always a gamble, a injury away from a super duper pain in the bum cap hit for the next 4 years.

Nice Job, OP

He will Sign with PHX

I can also see a Sundin, Messier sequel with Doan, leadership is not worth 5mil /year

A guy this old is always a gamble, a injury away from a super duper pain in the bum cap hit for the next 4 years.

I don't think I would want to front-load a multi-year deal for a 35 year old. Since the cap hit remains on the books, I'd want to encourage him to play all those years.

I haven't watched him closely enough to speculate how he would fit with this team, but I have to think that 3 years at $5M would be the ceiling in this town.

Thanks for the post. It really looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

I am looking at 2 years max for Shane and that is not what other teams would pay . But our situation is different than other teams and I would pass.

If he was 31 , then I would sign him for 4 years.

Archived