The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why The Canucks Should Sign Shane Doan To A 3-4 Year Contract

Franz Liszt

Thanks for the post. It really looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

I am looking at 2 years max for Shane and that is not what other teams would pay . But our situation is different than other teams and I would pass.

If he was 31 , then I would sign him for 4 years.

I could see the 2 years 12 million offer being upped to 3 years 18 million if that is what it took to get it done.

No front loaded contracts - a disincentive to play that contract out, encouraging an empty cap hit in the last year of term.

Aside from that, if there is a Cup or two in the first two years, I could live with a litlle declined production in the third. I'm not concerned about Doan coasting into town out of shape or riding on a fat wallet - not going to name anyone, but the other big name oldtimers who disappointed here, I don't see a replay of that with Doan.

You guys have to keep up to the current news.... an eastern conference team already offered doan a *3yr deal worth 30million deal= of 7.7million cap hit.... hopefully he is like garrison and just wants to play here for less money.

Four years is very risky, but three is quite manageable for a player with Doan's skillset. Even if he loses his scoring touch, he still hits, isn't a defensive liability and has leadership. Perhaps not worth a hefty salary during the last year or so, but if he brings us to the promised land now, I'm all for it.

Next year we have a ton of ufa s getting big raises. Yes I want to win now. But I also want to win the following years. 4 year 30 mil. No chance. Next. Doan is what we need. But he does not guarantee anything this year. Weber on the other hand. I would spend to td max

Look, I have nothing against Shane Doan or his talents and abilities. What I do know is history, and the Vancouver Canucks are not that lucky bringing in players that are long in the tooth. How far back would you like me to go? How about the famous Cam Neely trade where we got that hot shot Barry Pederson. Granted he was only 25 but he basically the game had already beat the crap out of him and he had a history of muliple surgeries. They even tried to tout Pederson as a local boy because he played Junior in Nanaimo and Victoria but he was born and raised in Saskatchewan. Cam Neely was born in Comox and grew up in Maple Ridge. Let's zip forward. Oh fun, Vancouver brings in loudmouth Mark Messier and somehow convince Trevor Linden to hand him over the helm as Captain. What did Mess do for the Canucks? Please tell me, because it sure ain't memorable.

Another thing. Why does everyone and their dog want to toss Burrows out of his spot between the Sedins? Burrows is more cagey, more wiley, and more adept than any player they have worked with. When he is off his game it is because he is no different than Kesler, he is physically hurting and is willing to play through the pain than complain. He will still contribute by blocking the sight lines on the opposing goaltender.

Canucks are at their best bringing up their own talent and drafts. Start with Burrows, undrafted brought up through the Moose. Sedins, Canucks draft picks, Alexander Edler, Canucks draft pick. Ryan Kesler, Canucks draft pick. Cory Schneider, Canucks draft pick. Need I say more. I can if you wish.

Yeah, Doan would be sweet on Canucks for sure.

4 years? too risky for my blood if I was GM. No way this guy is going to be good enough in that fourth year to have him on the roster.

No way to tell if he will want to retire by then either.

3 years? Maybe, safer. Doan would want this for sure. Safer contract for him to keep earning big bucks.

2 years would be ideal for Canucks becuase you know he would be great for 2 years.

I am sure Shane only wants 3 plus though...

But a chance to win the cup? Come on down Shane!

Dont take the big bucks for 4 years to play in crappy Buffalo!

3 years MG, get er done. 5.5 mil per year max though.

Anymore really handcuffs us. I

Nice Job, OP

He will Sign with PHX

I can also see a Sundin, Messier sequel with Doan, leadership is not worth 5mil /year

A guy this old is always a gamble, a injury away from a super duper pain in the bum cap hit for the next 4 years.

Look, I have nothing against Shane Doan or his talents and abilities. What I do know is history, and the Vancouver Canucks are not that lucky bringing in players that are long in the tooth. How far back would you like me to go? How about the famous Cam Neely trade where we got that hot shot Barry Pederson. Granted he was only 25 but he basically the game had already beat the crap out of him and he had a history of muliple surgeries. They even tried to tout Pederson as a local boy because he played Junior in Nanaimo and Victoria but he was born and raised in Saskatchewan. Cam Neely was born in Comox and grew up in Maple Ridge. Let's zip forward. Oh fun, Vancouver brings in loudmouth Mark Messier and somehow convince Trevor Linden to hand him over the helm as Captain. What did Mess do for the Canucks? Please tell me, because it sure ain't memorable.

Another thing. Why does everyone and their dog want to toss Burrows out of his spot between the Sedins? Burrows is more cagey, more wiley, and more adept than any player they have worked with. When he is off his game it is because he is no different than Kesler, he is physically hurting and is willing to play through the pain than complain. He will still contribute by blocking the sight lines on the opposing goaltender.

Canucks are at their best bringing up their own talent and drafts. Start with Burrows, undrafted brought up through the Moose. Sedins, Canucks draft picks, Alexander Edler, Canucks draft pick. Ryan Kesler, Canucks draft pick. Cory Schneider, Canucks draft pick. Need I say more. I can if you wish.

Archived