The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you feel about the officiating standard in the NHL's regular season?

How do you feel about the officiating standard in the NHL's regular season?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Call it all and the basic infractions will stop. I hate the crapshoot on calls. Maybe it will be called, maybe it won't. It should be the same from the first minute to the last and from regular season to the finals.

The officiating in the NHL is consistently inconsistent. In the playoffs, it stinks.

The NHL has a rule book. If officials called the games by the letter of the law, there would be no issues. The problem is, every referee has his own "style" and each interprets the rules in a different manner. It is this interpretation that causes the inconsistencies.

I'm all good with officials making mistakes. After all, to err is human. Refs choosing to ignore infractions and placing personal judgements on calls are both problems, however.

Use the rule book. It was written for a reason.

:towel::canucks:

As others have noted, it's not so much the number of calls, so much as the inconsistency of the officiating.

Players have no idea what will and won't be called in any given situation, which is ridiculous.

Overall, the officiating in the NHL is akin to a pile of fresh excrement.

Inconsistent! I don't blame the refs, although they do make some shocking calls sometimes. No one seems to know what the rules of the game are. They change so often. Until the officiating problem is solved, our league will be a laughingstock. How are any new fans supposed to begin enjoying the game when they can't understand the rules.

Oct 2010: Player punches someone in the face; gets penalized.

Noob fan: "I guess there's a rule against punching people in the face."

Jun 2011: Player punches someone in the face; player being punched gets penalized.

Noob fan: "... Let's watch NasCar. This game doesn't make any sense."

I've always said make whatever rules you want... but be consistent. there should be no reason that the rules change in the playoffs. this isn't the wwe this is the NHL (referring to Weber face smash on zetterberg and Daniel getting punched repeatedly).

The reffing I'd say has an overall balance when you look at individual games...each team will have their own share of missed penalties and debatable penalties...

However, the problem (as many others have stated) is the inconsistency of the refs. In game 1, a player could be touched lightly by the opposing player's stick and a hooking penalty will be called. Then for some odd reason, in game 2, a player slashes down the opposing player and the game continues without any stoppage in play.

And I'm not ONLY referring to the playoffs....the players (to me at least) seem confused the entire season about what is a penalty and what isn't a penalty for some reason, the refs decide to change the rules based on each individual game...

Do you guys know why the NFL is the most successful league in America? It's because the reffing is consistent. From game 1 to the final game of the season to the Superbowl, the reffing is consistent.

Archived