The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

Why is it that big name players never sign in Vancouver? Now don't bring up Sundin and Messier because Sundin was pretty much done his career although he did help our team, he clearly came for the huge offer MG gave him, and Messier.... lets just stop there because just hearing his name pisses me off. The only one I can think of is Luongo.

I have noticed alot of star players when free agents, never choose Vancouver as the team they want to go to even when its been known that Canucks have put out offers for them. It's always Detroit, NYR, Pitsburgh, Philly etc. I can understand if some American big names choose not to sign in Vancouver because they would much rather play for an American city but even the Canadian players do this.

I know the players should do whatever is best for their families, but come on, I'm sure Vancouver has offered big numbers for players in the past but we just cant ever reel them in. Now this could be for a number of reasons but that is the point of this thread, what do you all think is the reason Vancouver never picks up big names.

Do players look down upon the Canucks? (diving, whining, etc) I know its exagerated but people even players believe the stupid media.

Do players not like the Canucks management? Gillis is known to be very straight forward with his

decisions and tells players what he actually wants to do which they may not agree with (shultz) i know hes not a big name but still.

Is it because we are the most hated team in the league and other players would hate playing with Kesler, Burrows, Lappy, Bieksa?

All I know is if I was a big name Canadian player I would want to bring that cup back home to the great white north ASAP and which Canadian team has the best chance to do that right now? yes thats right THE VANCOUVER CANUCKS. It has been an amazing last two years knowing how good our team has become and we can proudly say we are one of the best teams in the league, I just wish some players would see that and stop going to stupid pointless American markets and win it all for a city that truly wants that cup. Thanks for reading.

NHLers don't respect Vancouver because Vancouver won't even fight for themselves, heard it many times and from current NHL players. The smart ones know that most of the hate is bull**hit and comes from jealousy. Guys like LaPierre have made us despised, no response to our stars cheapshotted caught the attention of many of the players in the league. Bitchmade, whose to blame ? the players ? management for not stocking the roster with an animal ?

I'm hoping BC boys come home, Shea Weber, thats you.

I've wondered about this sometimes as well, especially when you start hearing about UFA's getting lobbied by players from other teams, and wonder who on our team might be the one to call for our team to lobby a UFA. I don't think Burrows has made many friends over the years. Same thing for Kes. The twins are stars but their buddies seem to be the Swedes on other teams. Other than maybe Lui, not sure who else.

The other thing that's obvious is that we seem to have more luck with UFA's that are BC boys wanting to come back home. Otherwise the teams you mentioned seem to be the same ones always involved. Not sure what the reason. The travel schedule has to have a negative effect on the player decision. Or it could be our high provincial taxes and the fishbowl media market.

We don't need big name players. We already have the Sedin twins (two of the best players in the league), Burrows (the best agitator in the league IMO), Kesler (a Selke trophy winner and one of the best 2 way players in the game), and 2 elite goalies in Lu (although Lu will be gone soon) and Schneids. We don't need big name players. We need role players that can help down the stretch. The only time it would be concerning that the big name players weren't signing with us is if we were in the same situation Edmonton was a few years ago. They didn't have anyone and had the likes of Heatley refusing to play there.

As of right now it doesn't matter that big name players don't want to sign with us. We have plenty of big name players already. In the future, however, if this continues then we could be in some trouble.

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Luongo, Mitchell, Hamhuis...these are guys any team would love.

Why do we NEED to have a big name player..and how do you categorize that?

LETS SIGN ALL THE BEST UFAS IN THE WORLD!!! Doesn't always work out the way you'd like it OP.

Back in the day it had to do with $$...New York could just buy players like they were candy.

Salary Cap era...we aren't willing to overpay people. We look to have players take discounts etc for the benefit of the team.

I don't need a Kovulchuck on my team with $100 million plus blah blah blah..

agree with the op to some extent. It's been way too long since a Canadian team has paraded lord Stanley in the streets of its city. Have you looked at Nash's 6 preferred destination: NYR, SJS, Philly, Bruins, Red Wings... I can't believe the lack of patriotism that players show. In the NBA absolutely NOBODY wants to play for the Raptors cause it's not an American city. Most of the big name players we have are drafted by the canucks (the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows (yes I know he's undrafted), and Schneids), but UFA's do usually choose another destination. All I know is, Canada needs a Stanley Cup and in the time being Vancouver is its best bet.

Man are u a nerd or something? did u not read my post, " simle logic would do u good op" ha ha ha alright buddy dont u have a star wars convention to go to or something?

the point of the thread was asking why these big name players never come to Vancouver I dont even know why I called u a nerd you cant even understand a damn discussion.

Archived