The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big name players never signing with the Canucks

Schneider.Man604

for the same reason that big name free agents don't sign in any of the canadian cities, and possibly minnesota: they're the only cities in the league where the players get recognized out in public. when they say they want to "do whats best for their families," that means living in a city where their nice birthday restaurant dinner isn't interrupted by some inconsiderate 40 year old asking for the guy's signature on a napkin saying it's for his "daughter."

So... anyone have a list of big name free agents that recently (post lockout) signed with Detroit or Pittsburgh? Off the top of my head I can think of absolutely zero.

Also, Vancouver was one of Schultz's top teams (if he counts as a big FA), Doan is rumoured to be considering Vancouver as one of his top destinations if he doesn't re-sign with Phoenix, Sundin and the Mess are in fact big names, Gretzky was going to sign with Vancouver until a dumb phone call ruined the chance, Hamhuis is better than Suter, and the list goes on.

The reason people think Detroit and Pittsburgh is because the two are contenders, and their fanbase is pretty stupid and gullible, thinking they'll land all free agents. The fact of the matter is that they are the same as everyone else.

EDIT: I don't consider re-signing a player as landing a free agent, although it technically is.

Mostly because we have a smart GM that would fall for a stupid contract that pays a single player 7.6 or more million dollars for 10 years or whatever (just an example)...because thats what they can get somewhere else. We have a GM that believes that one guy is not the team. So the "big name" players will sign in Minnisota, where they are desparate for some "life" but have no chance of winning the cup. Or they will want to play with players like Crosby and Malkin (umm who wouldnt). The Canucks are not the only team who cant get big name players....look at Washington? Other than Ovechkin, who was drafted by the team. They cant get big name players. Also, players think about all the travel that is involved with playing in Vancouver. I dont think it has much to do with the actual organization or the players on the team. I think ...its all about money, and those teams that you mentioned, are stupid enough o throw money at them...because they are desparate to get them. Thats why we will never get Weber. Why would he take a "hometown discount"? If he can go and play in Detroit (which is in my mind, falling apart...I mean the Wings havent made it passed the second round in what five years?? They lost Lidstrom and they are going to be losing Holstrom if they havent already. That and Detroit is an UGLY city to live in...why players want to live there is beyond me...Toronto cant get big name players either, we all know why that is.

Its so funny that some people on CDC thinks that all the free agents are against us, and there is a conspiracy blah blah blah. Really try being a city like Carolina? Columbus??

We are lucky here, we dont need a "big name" player to make us better...Shane Doan would be nice, but I would not be surprised if he goes elsewhere just because its all about money these days...Would you turn down a 8 million dollar a year contract thats guarenteed for 10 years?? I know I wouldnt...The dollar signs would make me forget where I am playing for 8 months of the year.

Ok, I am done my ramble.

i know this will sound dumb but the canucks organization is good but sometimes they make epic failures when they sign some players...basically to quote forrest gumps mom "life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get". did we lose on the shultz acquisition yes but we have an NHL ready D with garrison. are we gonna land nash very unlikely . thats ok we have the twins that can make a turd look good beside them. will schneider be an elite goalie or fizzle out no one knows yet. can the canucks land a big name player ? who cares we have a good team that needs kick in the ass and we'll win. either way the season goes we have a great team that was built around drafting and a few acquisitions that bolstered the line up. All i know is that we have one of if not the best goalie tandem in the league and fans want to break that up because of some mishaps in the playoffs. no wonder players don't want to come here. if the fans were more welcoming and the media would get their heads out of their asses we could bring home the cup to where it should be. CANADA. our players do their best and we nit pick them to the point of no return. ease up CDC and let them do their jobs to bring home the cup. and i agree with part of someones post let the goalies fight it out and lets get rid of who ever isn't performing(i know i said it earlier about the best tandem but can't fight everyone.) so whenever it comes lets try to welcome whatever comes our way with what players come here and let the rest of the NHL bitch about how great our team is...because in the end we know this team is good. just look at the standings the last two years.they complain because they overpay everyone and don't get the same results. let them bitch and complain.

Most teams don't land a whole bunch of premier UFAs. The fact the Canucks got Lu, Sundin and Messier within the same decade is decent enough for me, not amazing, but decent. You can't just discount Messier because it upsets you to hear his name.

What big name UFAs has Detroit signed? Their top players over the last few years have been: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall and Franzen. None of them were UFAs.

Same with Pittsburgh over the last few years: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, Fleury. Their big name FA of Paul Martin was nothing to shake a stick at.

Same with Philly. Key players over the last few years: Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, Carle... (the only meanginful UFA I can think of was Pronger).

The only meaningful UFA I can think of from the Rangers is Richards.

EDIT: and Gaborik.

Why don't we just think about the big name players we have that many other teams want? Edler, Sedins, Kesler/

Role/Big time players that they want too? Burrows, Hamhuis, Garrison, both goaltenders; I'd even say Bieksa.

Just because we have them, we fail to realize how good they are. Look at what happened to Ehrhoff after he left us.

Why don't we just think about the big name players we have that many other teams want? Edler, Sedins, Kesler/

Role/Big time players that they want too? Burrows, Hamhuis, Garrison, both goaltenders; I'd even say Bieksa.

Just because we have them, we fail to realize how good they are. Look at what happened to Ehrhoff after he left us.

One word: TRAVEL

Yes, we consistently win our division and make the playoffs and yes we have very skilled players to play with and a well run organization, but people always forgot about the part outside of hockey - it's called "life."

Guys that are UFAs are usually old enough to have a family, and travelling as much as we do makes it tough on them, I could see younger guys not minding so much but UFA age players who can pick from 30 options probably won't pick the team that travels way more miles than any others, unless they're coming to play back home.

That and we're not the type of team to match the ridiculous contracts some guys get offered, which is probably good long tem. Yeah we don't get those guys now, but 6/7 years now those teams' fans will be bitching about those deals with no way out of them.

Archived