The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

He's not an idiot.

It would work like this:

preds: We are going to match the offer unless you promise to make a trade with us afterwards.

Also, we are going to trade him after the first year and we refuse to trade him to you.

In fact, we hope to trade him to the Rangers, one of your main rivals.

flyers: Okay sounds good. After you match we will trade the schenn bros to you for three of our firsts. (or something like that)

Of course, the phlyers could say no to any kind of trade talk and take their chances.

Two teams hedging their bets. Trying to make a win-win for both teams.

This is not some fantasy scenario. It could happen.

My mistake. I meant to write:

He's not an idiot.

It would work like this:

preds: We are going to match the offer unless you promise to make a trade with us afterwards.

Also, we are going to trade him after the first year and we refuse to trade him to you.

flyers: Okay sounds good. After you DO NOT match we will trade the schenn bros to you for three of our firsts. (or something like that)

Of course, the phlyers could say no to any kind of trade talk and take their chances.

My mistake. I meant to write:

He's not an idiot.

It would work like this:

flyers: Okay sounds good. After you DO NOT match we will trade the schenn bros to you for three of our firsts. (or something like that)

If the Preds do that, the Flyers know it's because they can't afford Weber at that price though.

I would think the Flyers would rather give up 4 1st round picks then Coutourier, Read, and 2 1sts, therefore why not call the Preds bluff? They can always offer that package up again next offseason. No loss no gain.

Edit: Can you explain to me how a team that doesn't own a players rights can trade that player? As of right now Weber is a Flyer is he not? He only becomes a Predator again if they match. So how could a trade even be arranged?

If Poile really wanted to be "bold" with Holmgren he tells him do this or we will sign the offersheet and then when Holmgrem trades those assets so Nashville doesn't sign the offersheet Nashville just signs the offersheet and gets Weber and Philly's assets. lol

Why isn't Nashville matching I don't understand. They can trade him after a year anyways for something much better then 4 late 1st's. All the good FA's are gone, once Weber leaves they have no one worth while to trade. How are they going to reach the cap floor? Nashville is pretty much done, they will be Columbus 2.0.

Why isn't Nashville matching I don't understand. They can trade him after a year anyways for something much better then 4 late 1st's. All the good FA's are gone, once Weber leaves they have no one worth while to trade. How are they going to reach the cap floor? Nashville is pretty much done, they will be Columbus 2.0.

Funnyhow the Canucks front office tried to make themselfs look like they were in ti by saying they were thinking of an offer sheet....what a bunch of BS!

Holmgren found away to make this happen, go straight to the owners pocketbook. Sure the Preds can match but does it make sense for them long term? I'm not sure. Onlyif they get aggressive themselfs by going after a few more pieces to make them truly a cup contender. Weber didn't think that's what they want to do. Would Nashville even benefit financially from the cup they way a trad market team would?

This is about big money and Philly has the market to earn Webers money back two fold so does BC but Nashville?

So who's out there that can turn the Canucks into the real threat we need to be now that Weber is out of the question?

We need one more stay at home shut down D-man IMO, a guy like Anton Volchenkov comes to mind.....

Guest Dasein

i think whats being lost in this a little and is in reference to the why would he sign an offer sheet if he wanted out of Nashville idea. He basically signed a sheet that is crippling to the Preds to ice a good team. If he signed a sheet that had the same cap hit but no front loaded money, then yes I get that. This sheet is a poison pill to team that has money problems and little revenue. Remember payroll is different then cap. 26 million for one player then 14 million for a few years after really limits them on spending. I cant see Nashville spending over 80 million on payroll. Shea wants to play for a winner that has money to ice a very competitve team. His next year salary is equal to their gate receipts. Plus look at their RFA's next year, many guys are up for new deals.

None of us are privy to what is going on, but to me this seems like a process of him moving on and he picked the team he wants to go to after visiting with a few. The money is set, now Nashville and philly will make a deal. Nashville will send a couple picks back to philly to get some players. Flyers probally wanted confirmation that Weber would sign long term before pulling the trigger on a deal.

Or i could be wrong they match, Shea gets his money and plays on a team that has a hard time getting into the playoffs for a few years because they cant afford to surround him with talent.

Furthermore If i was Shea I would question Poiles idea of talent for playoff runs. Radulov and Kostitsyn are not guys you go to war with in the playoffs.

Weber signed because he wants to play in Philly. How is Poile supposed to sell that back to his team and owners? Their revenue last year was 26 million dollars IIRC, the Flyers made 27 mil in the preseason and the Winter Classic alone. The Flyers know that Pronger is probably done and Weber is the perfect replacement for him. Weber didn't have to sign the offer sheet, I heard he visited NYR and DET as well. However, I heard or read Ed Snider met with him personally a few weeks ago. Doan is visiting the same teams as well.

IMO, I don't see NAS matching the offer, moneywise I don't think they can.

9SdWm.gif

Archived