The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to resign Edler NOW!

pghockeyguy

With Philly removing Weber from the UFA list for next year Edler jumps to the #1 UFA available. Besides maybe Enstrom, Edler will be offered 6+ mill per season from numerous teams. We need to lock him up now. The longer you wait the more Dmen will sign and the more value Edler will gain. Edler still has the ability to be a cornerstone defencemen so how much are you guys willing to spend on him now that the Weber fantasy is over.

To be a greedy person and keep our salaries low, i would wait to get the CBA done first. They will most likely limit the number of years so agents can't hold small market teams hostage with big contracts for a dozen years. I like Edler and personally i think he has another gear and some talent that he has yet to tap into. Get him signed. Maybe offer Anahiem a deal for Perry and lock him up, seems to be the kind of player we need but more skill. Lets make things happen MG, Canucks nation needs a cup.

It seems that Edler really likes the city and the team so I think that we'll be able to use the season to get a deal done. I'm not in panic mode yet with Edler, and I don't think we'll need to worry. But I don't wanna see a 14 year 100million dollar deal...lets not make that mistake again mr Gillis

I would agree that getting Edler signed sooner than later is a high priority for MG.

He's had five full NHL seasons under his belt and he's on a upward trajectory in his development (though there was a drop off from 2010-2011 to 2011-2012 -- albeit it was shortened by his back injury -- along with a poor playoff performance...but which Canuck did not have a drop off last year?). And the kid is still only 26 years old.

MG has maintained that exceptions can/would be made, so getting Edler signed above the "Bieksa-ceiling" is most likely a non-issue.

It's debatable whether Edler has topped out on his development. I'm on the side of the argument that says he's two years away from being a dominating force (i.e., a legitimate elite defenceman) that we are clamoring for, so I believe that it's imperative to sign Edler to a long term contract as soon as possible.

In a past post I started, I asked the question of who will emerge as the next wave of leaders for the Canucks, and it looks to me that in 2-3 years time, the Canucks will be Edler/Schneider's team...Edler has the opportunity over the next couple of years to share key responsibilities with Bieksa and Hamhuis, and has probably benefited greatly from Salo's presence, so I'm inclined to believe that he'll be fully ready assume the lead role in due time. On a side note, it's too bad that Ohlund was not kept to further enhance Edler's development, but Edler's done just fine without Ohlund (and I'm sure there were extenuating circumstances which took place during any contract discussions...i.e., length of contract).

Agreed, Edler has to be re-signed soon to a long term deal, and my idea of long term is 5-6 years.

Either now or after the new CBA is in place. The last thing we need is some hot shot GM come at him with a crazy offer sheet and handcuff Gillis.

true, he does need to be re signed as soon as possible. he will be one of the top UFA's next year and you know someone will offer him stupid money. he is one of my fav players on the team i dont know why everyone is bashing him so hard as of late. i guess now that the weber dream is dead people now see the value in edler. hes a stud who is only going to get better. at the very least 6 years 5.5 mill per. numbers based on the matt carle contract and elder is better than matt carle

Why the panic? Changes are going to be coming in the new CBA, so why jump the gun on a contract.

I'm not sure if Edler is worth 6 million yet anyways, he had a disappointing season. From a players perspective, you would think that he'd want to play this next season before signing a long term contract because it would bolster his offer. I'm sure the Canucks would give him that if he had a strong season, but the kid has to earn it his 5+ by becoming consistent.

true, he does need to be re signed as soon as possible. he will be one of the top UFA's next year and you know someone will offer him stupid money. he is one of my fav players on the team i dont know why everyone is bashing him so hard as of late. i guess now that the weber dream is dead people now see the value in edler. hes a stud who is only going to get better. at the very least 6 years 5.5 mill per. numbers based on the matt carle contract and elder is better than matt carle

Archived