The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to resign Edler NOW!

pghockeyguy

Any chance of re-signing Edler in a long term deal on a good price just went out the Window with what Suter, Weber and Carle got this year lol.

His agent must be licking his chops waiting for him to be a UFA or open negotiations with MG. It would be a miracle if we can sign him under 5.5m

I said it before and i'll say it again, MG's patient approach will bite him in the ass one day, he better lock up our assets soon.

Better extend him during the season and not wait for the off-season, because Edler will get offers of 7 million plus considering what Suter signed for.

5 to 6 million deal (hopefully we get him for 5.5 million) over the next 3 or 4 seasons should be perfect and fit nicely with the rest of our defence. With Burrows likely to ask for a raise to 3.5 to 4 million dollar cap hit, we'll have to have moved either Ballard or Luongo by this time.

Sammy Salo gets Elder style points manning the back end of the1st powe rplay unit. I see Bieksa and Garrison and even Hamhuis putting up similar numbers playing with Kesler and the Sedins

So why does Edler get some generous amount that the other 3 don not get. i do not see the situation where Edler has proven himself up and beyond the others.

If he is worth as much as some are saying here, he is over rated and trade him for the assets. He would be worth far more in the assets then he is playing on the team.

If people are stating hies worth 5.5 or 6 mil, trade him for that value.

Sammy Salo gets Elder style points manning the back end of the1st powe rplay unit. I see Bieksa and Garrison and even Hamhuis putting up similar numbers playing with Kesler and the Sedins

So why does Edler get some generous amount that the other 3 don not get. i do not see the situation where Edler has proven himself up and beyond the others.

If he is worth as much as some are saying here, he is over rated and trade him for the assets. He would be worth far more in the assets then he is playing on the team.

If people are stating hies worth 5.5 or 6 mil, trade him for that value.

WHAT????? you dont want to pay a top 15 defencemen in the league 5.5 million? Are you kidding me? Every team in the NHL pays him 6 mill per if he goes to free agency. You know we are trying to win right? We might want to keep our best players!!!

I definitely wouldn't give Edler another penny then Bieksa, Hamhuis or Garrison.

If you take away Edlers Sedin aided stats and the rare good pass or rare heavy hit he doesn't do anything else well while the others bring several key attributes that Edler doesn't.

Those players are big time Canadian players who play all out with tons of heart Edler will never be that guy not even close.

I cant believe how many so called smart fans underestimate heart and being North American doing everything to help their team. Look at our playoff losses how could people be so stupid not to see it.

I hope they trade him myself and give Connauton a chance he is due. This kid will be easily twice the all around defensemen Edler is given the same amount of time Edlers had to work on his game.

Well, to be fair to everyone he should get $4.6 but he I think it will take at leat $5 to sign him and he may want more. For a guy that completely dissolves defensively once in a while I think it's a big risk to sign him for more than $5 mil per season. Unless we trade him though our options are limited.

I couldn't agree more!

For example Kevin Bieksa was i believe the 2nd or 3rd best 5 on 5 point producing defensemen in the NHL and didn't get minutes to get the easy points playing alongside the Sedins like Edler does.

Give Bieksa with the Sedins 5-5 and PP that Edler gets and Bieksa would out point Edler big time.

Hamhuis and Bieksa are far better all around complete defensemen then Edler it's laughable on how people have inflated Edlers value. As far as i am concerned he's the most overrated Canuck by far.

Edler definitely doesn't deserve more then they do and if that's what him and his agent want we should ship him off in a trade asap.

Edler is clearly our best all around defencmen, and one of the best in the league. I'm sure he loves the canucks, but as previously pointed out, ehrhoff came right outa left field with a gigantic contract for a team no one expected him to land on..

Locking him up for as long as possible should be, and most likely IS MGs top priority.

But the urgency begins to grow once he starts looking at other offers. I seriously hope we sign him soon. $4.6 over 6 years would be ideal, cause I think he's going to become a force to be reckoned with over the next few years... well.. more of one than he already is. I just hope he has more room in his heart than ehrhoff for this team.

some games in the playoff cup run he seemed like the best defenseman around. phyiscal++, good passer, good defensively.

some games this last year he sucked.

he needs a steady partner so he can take risks and not get burnt. hopefully it is garrison? edler, in other words, is a great piece but cannot take the game over himself.

what else is available? the internal cap will go up every year too...

Listen here clown i dont have to have any prospect development history i can have my own opinion based on what i have seen of them both and knowing Edler has had 5 years in the NHL to get better.

Imo your one of the many dimwit fans who can only base their opinion on stats and is probably too much of a coward to form your own.

Also way to ignore all the rest of the post because you have no answer and would rather just call me names because i have an opinion and i am not scared to tell the way i see it.

By the way, how many of Erik Karlsson's points do you think were aided by Jason Spezza? How many of Kris Letang's points do you think were aided by Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin? I could go on and on. The point of a #1 defenseman is that he plays on the top PP unit with the team's best players. Shocking.

Yes, Edler is one of the most underrated D out there. I think we should get him signed. But our top priority should be Burrows and Higgins as well. I doubt Edler will do what Ehrhoff did, simply because he isn't really one of those players who wants to change teams. He looks to be happy in Vancouver as well as he is really close to the Sedins. Everyone knows how he is shy, and it probably took him awhile to open up to the Canucks. Then again, anything can happen. I just hope we do keep him, because he is one of our top D. And will be a star one day. I just worry, if we do end up getting Doan... Will we have enough cap space for Higg, Edler and Burr?

I couldn't agree more!

For example Kevin Bieksa was i believe the 2nd or 3rd best 5 on 5 point producing defensemen in the NHL and didn't get minutes to get the easy points playing alongside the Sedins like Edler does.

Give Bieksa with the Sedins 5-5 and PP that Edler gets and Bieksa would out point Edler big time.

Hamhuis and Bieksa are far better all around complete defensemen then Edler it's laughable on how people have inflated Edlers value. As far as i am concerned he's the most overrated Canuck by far.

Edler definitely doesn't deserve more then they do and if that's what him and his agent want we should ship him off in a trade asap.

Here is the list for the Canucks salary cap situation

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=29

I think if we do a few things we will be alright. This is just my opinon by the way.

Out

-Malholtra 2.75

Ballard 4

Luongo 5.3

on the fence - Raymond

Raise

Lappierre to 2mil

Edler - to 4.6mil 5 mil long term

Burrows to 5 mil (making up for years of underpay)

Higgins ? Dont know if he will be expendable by then

Archived