The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whatever Goes Around Comes Around

With Holmgren currently offer sheeting Weber, if Nashville cannot match and walk away empty handed essentially, it would leave them with 4 1st round picks, a whole lotta cap to work with, and a Philly team with no cap flexibility.

Now the saying "whatever goes around comes around", I think with a new CBA about to be made and all the NHL teams shocked with the Weber news, chaos can break out and you may just see offer sheets left and right. I think it'd be awesome if Nashville loses Weber, and then they offer sheet Voracek and easily get him cause the Flyers will have no cap. Then next off-season, Philly has Schenn, Courturier, Hartnell, Read, and Wellwood all free agents, and with them not being able to sign all of them cause of no cap flexibility, it'd be even that much funnier, entertaining, and awesome to see Poile offer sheet 3/4 of those players cause Phily will only have enough to sign 1/4 of them as all the players will want a raise.

...Weber gets offer sheeted by Philly, Preds can't match and Philly is left with no cap room as Nashville has tons of cap. Right after, Poile offer sheets Voracek, Philly can't match and Preds land him. Fast forward a year, Poile, still pissed at Philly, offer sheets Read, Schenn, Courturier, and Wellwood but leave Hartnell as he is the only player Philly is able to retain. Philly still stuck financially can't match and Nashville steals them all.

It'd teach Holmgren a lesson to respect other teams as he doesn't believe in doing so with his dirty tactics, and after everything is all done, Philly steals Nashville's best dman and in return, Nashville steals all of Phily's forward depth. I would love for this to happen :lol:

It is as much (if not more) Snider's fault as it is Holmgren's responsibility. Don't kid yourself, Snider would have had to have a significant role in an offer sheet like this. Snider, being a long-time owner, knows full well what it means to have a player potentially poached off your roster. Once again, in a crucial time for owners across the NHL who are trying to negotiate as a single unit vs. the NHLPA, they can't help but screw each other right before the eyes of the entire NHL community to their own detriment.

Ever since the lockout ended the Flyers have had no cap space yet every year they are signing or trading for new star players. I doubt that suddenly changes.

Nor do I think Philly will be to concerned with losing Voracek if they get Weber.

As far as the offer sheet thing goes I think you are over thinking things. Nashville is not a hotspot for players. The only way they can sign Read, Schenn, Couturier, etc to offer sheets is if they actually agree to sign with Nashville. Meaning the Predators will have to likely overpay them and convince them that Nashville a better place for them. Not to mention doing this comes off as more spiteful and immature on Nashville's part. Harming the own organization just to send a message.

The only backlash Philly will face is they likely damaged the once fruitful trading relationship with Nashville for a few years.

Hi OP, even though we do not know exactly how much PHilly has offered , dividing 100 mill by 14 comes up to 7.1 million. Let say he offered 110 million, because they said, he was offered over 100 million, if you divde 110 by 14, thats almost exactly 7.8 million. As Holmdrem will do, will exactly enough that he wont have to fork up 4 first round picks. It will just be 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd.

I understand what you're trying to say but I don't think it's going to be a satisfying consolation prize to pick up Voracek - basically a euro version of brad isbister, and lose a norris trophy finalist. OK there's bonafied talent in Philly - Read, Hartnell etc. but do you think they would like to go to Nashville? It's not like going into a brothel and getting the pick of the litter. They're free agents so you need to wine and dine these guys. We only hear about the offer sheet that was signed not about the ones that weren't

I would think Poile really doesn't mind the offer sheet. He wanted Weber long term but couldn't get it done himself. He has the right to match and I believe he will do so. He will thus get what he wanted all along. He may end up thanking Holmgren in the end. Even if Weber doesn't want to stay in Nashville, Poile will have control of the situation even with a NTC. However, I can't see Weber signing an offer sheet if this were true. Giving the Preds the opportunity to match a long term deal just wouldn't make any sense in this scenario. I think Weber signed as a ploy to get the price he wanted out of Poile.

Am I the only person that doesn't like these massive offers? It's funny because Weber would be making 1m + 13m in a signing bonus (which in a normal person's term is a "bribe"). I am happy for Philly 'cause they're going to add a Norris-calibre defenseman in Weber, but very unhappy about the way that they're doing it.

At the same time, I agree with your theory and foresight in the future - but for the time being, if Weber signs with the Flyers, expect them to make a mad run at the cup.

Hi OP, even though we do not know exactly how much PHilly has offered , dividing 100 mill by 14 comes up to 7.1 million. Let say he offered 110 million, because they said, he was offered over 100 million, if you divde 110 by 14, thats almost exactly 7.8 million. As Holmdrem will do, will exactly enough that he wont have to fork up 4 first round picks. It will just be 2 1st a 2nd and a 3rd.

Archived