The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Abbotsford man given driving ban after bizarre park-and-snooze in middle of busy intersection

key2thecup

WTF is wrong with people?

Abbotsford man given driving ban after bizarre park-and-snooze in middle of busy intersection

Police in Abbotsford have seen plenty of crazy drunk driving scenarios over the years. But spokesman Const. Ian MacDonald says a 48-year-old Abbotsford man “made some history”

Wednesday afternoon with his bizarre and dangerous choice to park his car and snooze, smack-dab-in-the-middle of a busy intersection just after noon — with two boys aged seven and eight in the car.

MacDonald said the man was driving northbound on Trethewey Street at South Fraser Way at 12:30 p.m., when he abruptly parked his black Ford Focus in the left turn lane, directly in the middle of the intersection.

Traffic started to backup rapidly, and some concerned motorists left their own cars and walked by the stopped car to see what was wrong.

“Traffic is backing up like crazy, and he seems rather content to have parked and gone to sleep,” MacDonald said.

Some of the witnesses noted two boys aged seven and eight — the man’s son and a friend — were in the vehicle’s back seat. The Good Samaritans decided to remove the boys in order to end the threat of them getting hit in the intersection, or continuing the journey with a potentially drunk driver.

“Meanwhile this driver doesn’t seem to mind, he’s somewhat oblivious that the boys are being removed, and even seems to be pleased that there is more space in the car,” MacDonald said. “He exits the front seat and takes up residence in the back seat so he can fully recline and get more comfortable for his nap.”

Police were called, quickly judged booze could be a factor, and administered a roadside test which the man failed, MacDonald said.

The man was given an immediate 90-day roadside prohibition and his car was impounded. The two children were turned over to a “responsible relative,” MacDonald added.

“I’ve never seen anyone decide that the middle of the intersection was where they decided to take a nap,” MacDonald said. “Transporting these two kids, it is very fortunate for the type of congestion at that intersection that a collision wasn’t caused.”

Police can’t release the man’s name because charge information has not been sworn, MacDonald said.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz217AlQ1xY

Back on topic...

This reminds me of the Diane Schuler incident for whatever reason. She killed 8 people (I think) when she was driving the wrong way. I think it could very well be that he had some serious medical issue that could have explained his behaviour. The article does not say whether medical services attended the man but I think the police should have taken it upon themselves to encourage him to seek some medical help and not buy his explanations at face value.

I don't think he was drunk. I think the police would have taken the opportunity to mention pending DUI charges or as a platform to send a message about drunk driving while they have the media attention. Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption but I figure most alcoholics would take precautions to ensure that they don't directly endanger their children in such a manner.

Back on topic...

This reminds me of the Diane Schuler incident for whatever reason. She killed 8 people (I think) when she was driving the wrong way. I think it could very well be that he had some serious medical issue that could have explained his behaviour. The article does not say whether medical services attended the man but I think the police should have taken it upon themselves to encourage him to seek some medical help and not buy his explanations at face value.

I don't think he was drunk. I think the police would have taken the opportunity to mention pending DUI charges or as a platform to send a message about drunk driving while they have the media attention. Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption but I figure most alcoholics would take precautions to ensure that they don't directly endanger their children in such a manner.

'Cause a 7 and 8 year old are really going to refuse to get in a car with a parent or other authorized adult......a 7 or 8 year old is capable of doing so? Of determining when an adult is impaired? (Not all impairments are a falling down drunk). Not the 7 and 8 year olds I've known in my life......they do as they're told pretty much.

I'm also concerned that the RCMP turned the child over to a responsible relative. Notice the use of quotations in the article. If there is any concern about who else is responsible there should be some oversight. It's highly possible that other relatives may be no safer for this child. Hopefully this will be explored through the fathers trial process at least. When you've been there done it and lived it, this just cuts a little to close to the bone.

Archived