The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 People Shot Dead at Dark Knight Rises Theatre in Denver

Dellins

So the answer to public gun violence, is more guns in public? ;)

What if the people were 'carrying' but missed the guy and shot other innocent movie-goers thereby dramatically increasing the victims? Or what if the gunman picked up the weapons carried by the people he shot, to kill even more people?

As a person who's a little split on the whole 'open carry' debate, your view is not logical, IMO.

That's like saying we should strip police officers of their firearms, because then they're liable to start shooting innocent bystanders or lose their guns to criminals.

An open carrier COULD have limited the loss of life at an incident like this. Since I presume there wasn't one, there was nobody to potentially thwart any attack made by the suspect(s) until LEOs arrived. Not to say I believe open carrying should be permitted everywhere... But it could potentially play a part in incidents like these.

As a person who's a little split on the whole 'open carry' debate, your view is not logical, IMO.

That's like saying we should strip police officers of their firearms, because then they're liable to start shooting innocent bystanders or lose their guns to criminals.

An open carrier COULD have limited the loss of life at an incident like this. Since I presume there wasn't one, there was nobody to potentially thwart any attack made by the suspect(s) until LEOs arrived. Not to say I believe open carrying should be permitted everywhere... But it could potentially play a part in incidents like these.

Shame on everyone who brought their Petty arguments into this thread.

People have been gruesomely murdered and there is still active bombs in his apartment so more might be on the way.

Show some respect. Oh wait, its CDC, it has none.

Police officers = trained. The average bystander will have much less, if any training. Police are trained to shoot to kill, and rarely open fire otherwise. The last thing this situation needed is some lunatic bystander panicking and firing shots throughout a crowded theatre.

As the research I quoted previously mentioned, stricter gun laws correlate with fewer deaths by firearm.

What do you want? An endless thread of "RIP's"??

If you want to mourn go ahead, no one's stopping you. Please don't tell he rest of us how to show respect to the victims. This is not a funeral or a wake thread...it's a discussion thread......that's what people are doing here....they're discussing the act itself, the victims involved and the related issues pertaining to the event and various other related issues.

And the apartment has been searched.

James Holmes, the 24 year old suspect, was a PHD candidate at the University of Colorado. To be a PHD candidate in neuroscience you need to be a pretty smart guy.

The defense is going to have a tough time proving insanity but I suppose being smart does not preclude you from being a nutcase.

U.S. gun laws are a little too far gone...

People who open carry are usually a lot more than an average bystander. While I completely get what you're saying, those guys usually are pretty well off with their firearms training. And as I mentioned, the laws in most U.S. states are too far along the road to revert back to strict gun laws.

Key word: could. Obviously in the wrong hands it could do harm... just like it could in everyday life. But you cannot deny that having a person or two who could have the ability to end a massacre like this in a matter of seconds would be a powerful tool.

Archived