The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan has begun to visit/meet with teams for his services

Reports: Doan visits with Flyers, Rangers

Saturday, 07.21.2012 / 5:21 PM

By NHL.com Staff - / NHL Free Agency 2012 blog

Free agent forward Shane Doan has visited with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers over the past two days, according to multiple reports.

Philly.com says Doan's latest visit was with the Flyers on Saturday. The website said the sides have mutual interest, but the meeting was described as Doan "just checking his options."

Doan has expressed his interest in remaining with the Coyotes, for whom he has played his entire career, but the team could leave Phoenix pending resolution of its ownership situation.

"I've made no bones about the fact that I want to go back to Phoenix if the situation works out," Doan said Thursday.

The Flyers on Thursday announced they have signed Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber to an offer sheet reportedly for 14 years, $110 million.

Arizonasports.com reported Friday that Doan met with the New York Rangers. The 35-year-old forward was in New York City to take part in collective bargaining negotiations between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association.

The New York Daily News said it was Doan's first official visit of free agency.

Doan said Thursday he is accepting contract offers but not actively seeking them.

"I don't want to put anybody in a situation where they feel like if they impress me I'll come," he said. "Until I make my decision, I don't want to force anybody's hand."

Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told Buffalo television station WKBW that Doan has no other visits scheduled and is heading home to Kamloops, B.C.

interested about going home to Kamloops, BC.........I just think we have this advantage since he coming to BC even though he is not from here.......I think it either phoneix or Vancouver..........I think he consider BC his second home??????????

I don't think Gillis is pushy. I just think he wants a chance to make his pitch then leave it up to the player to choose. I think a pushy GM works their team out of the picture fast with Doan. Doan is in no rush and why should he be? I really don' think there is any pressure out side the media. He'll choose, we'll all live regardless and the Canucks will roll to the Cup with or with out him. That's how Gillis and company work. They go on to the next option. Maybe they already have.

Half the time when Gillis makes a move no one ever sees them coming. So sit back and relax.

One thing we do know, Doan is going to Kamloops.

To all the haters, when did I ever say that this team is good enough to win the cup?

Clearly, this club has a glaring hole in the top 6 that needs to be filled. But if the price for Doan exceeds the realm of reason, its silly. Overpaying in order to get the cup is a MUST in many cases. But i'm not sold on the fact that Doan, at the age of 35, being a player who is very physical and gritty (wear and tare on his body), is the right guy to overpay on.

Nonetheless, I hope Mike Gillis and Co. will do what they can to land him.

Within reason.

Well looking at the points he puts up, we are signing him for more than grit. Leadership seems to be high on CDC's list and you have to pay for that.

I just think we are losing out on too many players who are making our opponents stronger.

I think we must draw a line under this Sedin $cap. The Sedins are not getting any younger and I'm sure they too want a ring.

We should be paying the going rate. If the twins settled for less then I admire their altruism but everyone is not made the same and you can't "handicap" a team with what is patently an artificial cap.

PS I think it might have been easier to get someone like Doan if he didn't think he had to supply 80% of the grit/pushback himself. We should have signed a 2nd line winger who could bang.........and who could have changed places with Daniel when required. (Clowe comes to mind)

Archived