The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHLbeat's interview with Eddie Lack

The Briefing

Born in Norrtalje, Sweden, January 5th 1988 Goaltender Eddie Lack spent his entire minor hockey career in the Swedish system. In his NHL draft year (2009) he played for Leksands IF in the tier-2 league in Sweden. He ended up going undrafted and later moved up to the Swedish Elite League with Brynas IF. After finishing that season off, he attracted the attention of the Canucks and signed on with the club. Ever since he’s been making his way up the goaltending depth chart spending most of his time in the AHL with Canucks affiliate teams (Manitoba Moose/Chicago Wolves). He was called up earlier this past season when Luongo went down with an injury and now, with rumor Luongo may be shipped out, Lack may finally get his shot as a full time NHL’er.

The Interview

Scotty: So, you spent this past season with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL, how’d you feel about your year personally?

Eddie Lack: I felt pretty good last year. I started good and ended the year well but I hit a little bit of a slump in the middle of the year. I worked my way out of it and I personally think I learned something from it.

S: Now, there’s a lot of talk surrounding the Canucks this off-season with rumors Roberto Luongo may be moved. Do you feel you’re ready to be a fulltime NHL’er?

EL: I feel I'm ready for it. I've had 2 good years in the AHL and I feel like I deserve a shot in the big league. I'm really looking forward to play against the best one day.

S: Is there anything you can say about the relationship between Luongo and Schneider, good or bad?

EL: I think we all have a great relationship. They're both great guys and it's really easy to get along with great guys.

S: What did you think of Dan Ellis publicly coming out and saying he’d like the backup job in Vancouver?

EL: I think that it's a lot of people that want that job including myself. We'll just have to wait and see what direction management want to take.

S: Enough about other people, back to you here. How would you describe yourself as a netminder?

EL: I'm a tall goalie so I try to use that to my advantage and cover as much net as possible. I think I'm pretty good at reading the play and being in the right position most of the time.

S: What is the biggest difference, as a goalie, from playing in the Swedish Elite League to playing in the AHL/NHL?

EL: It's different with the smaller ice surface so it's a much quicker game in North America. I have to be ready all the time and work a little bit deeper in my net.

S: Have you considered going back to Sweden if your NHL opportunity doesn’t come knocking?

EL: I’m not ready to give up on my dream but you never know what's going to happen in the future.

S: Who would you compare yourself to in nets? Either a past or present goaltender

EL: I'm looking up to Pekka Rinne and would like to play like him.

S: Now a little fun

S: Describe yourself in 3 Words

EL: Happy, Stubborn and Easygoing

S: Any Hobbies?

EL: I play a lot of golf in the summer!

S: 3 Famous people you’d like to go for dinner with

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

The Rock

Nolan Baumgartner

S: Last one here, If you could change one thing about your life to this point, what would it be?

EL: I wouldn't change anything. I'm really happy with my life.

S: Thank for taking the time Eddie I appreciate it. Have a very relaxing summer; enjoy the offseason and good luck next year!

Solid.. hope he signs.. but it's gonna be interesting to see how the whole dan ellis situation pans out though. I just love that guy. I mean he just embraces the whole 'back up goalie' concept fully and completely, and he could be considered somewhat of a vet. He's been around the block. I still like lack though, so yea. Exited to see this unfold.

Also, baumgartner's gotta be a fantastic assistant coach for the wolves with the way those guys look up to him.

Pretty good move on management's part if you asked me( a fan with no management experience whatsoever ).

He's ready IMO. He should get like 3-10 games this year to get into the groove a bit, and then become a full-time backup with 20-30 games in 2013-14 if he proves that he can do it.

Archived