The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which prospect has the best chance to crack the Canucks lineup this season?

282 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought we could have a little discussion on this, something different during the slow days of the offseason. With the departure of Hodgson at the trade deadline and the graduation of Tanev to the regular lineup, there aren't really any prospects in the Canucks system who you can point to and say have a sure-fire shot at making the Canucks lineup out of training camp.

Lack might be the most obvious choice (as Schneider's backup), although seeing as he's turned down the Canucks' qualifying offer and may play in Sweden next year it's no longer a lock that he'll be with the team.

Beyond him, it feels like most of the prospects in our system are still at that stage in between producing regularly at the AHL level and competing for an NHL job - however, having a good camp can change everything. With the injury of Kesler and we could be looking at a forward prospect making the team in October (if the season does start on time) - as well, there are always going to be injuries throughout the year that pile up, and call-ups will be made. Who do you think has the best chance of making a contribution to the team this year?

Be tough for Schroeder making the big club with Ebbett having been re-signed.

Hank,Lappy,Manny,Andy.

Canucks’ Andrew Ebbett aims for pivot spot

Posted on July 3, 2012by admin in Province Hockey | No comments

Neither of the two forwards the Canucks signed on Monday was named Zach Parise, but one of them can play centre.

That would be Andrew Ebbett, who will get a shot at the No. 2 or 3 pivot spot while Ryan Kesler recovers from shoulder surgery.

The other was fourth-line grit guy Steve Pinizzotto, who got a re-do of his deal from a year ago after missing the entire season with a shoulder injury suffered in just his second pre-season game.

It remains to be seen whether the Canucks decide to fill via trade the Kesler void at second-line centre that’s expected to last until some time in November, but it certainly won’t be with Jiri Hudler, who was signed out of free agency by Calgary on Monday in a four-year, $16-million deal.

Ebbett rejoiced when he got his first one-way NHL contract a year ago, but unfortunately for him followed it up with the most injury riddled season of his pro hockey career.

Two major injuries — a broken foot in November and a compound fracture of his collarbone in January — whittled his season down to just 18 games and did the same to his leverage on a new deal.

Ebbett, 29, signed another one-year deal, but had to accept a two-way contract — this time for $600,000 at the NHL level and $300,000 in the minors. The fact it’s a two-way was softened somewhat by the raise from last season’s $525,000.

Ebbett’s camp opted to wait until July 1 to see if there was a one-way deal out there, but when that proved fruitless came back to Vancouver.

We haven’t talked much yet, but I expect my role will be the same as last season — 13th forward who’s versatile and can fill in, do some PK,” said Ebbett from his offseason home in Ann Arbor, Mich.

“But with Kes out there will be some opportunity.”

The 5-foot-9, 175-pound Ebbett was solid in the games he did play — scoring 5-1-6, including two game-winning goals — and could be the short-term answer in the middle, although 2009 first round pick Jordan Schroeder will certainly get a look at camp as well.

Pinizzotto, 28, meanwhile, gets a two-way deal that pays $600,000 in the NHL and $275,000 in the minors to come back and be the agitator and physical player the Canucks were hoping to get a year ago.

The Toronto native looked good through two preseason games before falling awkwardly into the boards after attempting a check on huge San Jose defenceman Douglas Murray and suffering a dislocated shoulder. Pinizzotto tried to come back six weeks later but tore his rotator cuff in practice, ending his season.

“I’m really looking forward to coming back,” said Pinizzotto, who figures he’s now 100-per-cent healthy. “I know what I have to do. I play a hard game and I’ve been really working to get ready.”

jjamieson@theprovince.com

Of the centers, who should center 2nd 3rd and 4th line?

Malholtra Lapierre Higgins Schroeder Ebbett Gaunce

I say Lapierre could be on the 2nd as long as there is a play maker on the wing, but Schroeder is more likely. Ebbett might be there, but he doesn't really have the size or strength of the other choices.

Gillis might not be done yet, so we'll see.

Archived