The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison looking to avoid one-hit label

bure10fan

I think Garrison is a much more well rounded defenseman that he gets credit for. If you compare his stats to Suter's last season the only one he fell short on one - assists. At every level Garrison's had to work hard to get ahead and I don't see that changing now. Garrison may be a late bloomer but his game is solid and while he may not score 15-20 goals every season his overall game will be worth his contract. $4.6 million is decent considering the contract handed out recently and the term is decent (Garrison's deal is much better than Carle's). I predict by the All-Star game people will be saying Garrison was the best signing of the summer.

well, Edler might not be the smooth PP quarterback that Campbell is, but 38 assists is still nothing to ignore. As well, if they do load up the PP and Jason plays with the Twins AND Edler (as mentioned) he'd be getting set up all day long. Even better, he's one of the better guys in the league (along with Hammer) in terms of Corsi, so he should help Edler handle match-ups and be less volatile in their own end, plus he should be more physical and durable than Salo, which is definitely an upgrade.

At the least I think he would get 25 points.

Meh, never seen Garrison play so i'm not gonna make any judgments on him.. yet.

Edler isn't a 2-way defenseman.. He's purely an offensive defenseman, and an excellent one at that. He really sucks in his own zone, gives the puck away a lot and is super inconsistent. Wanna know what is concistent though? His offensive production. Sure, call him a two-way defenseman if you want, but he'd be a better offensive d-man than a 2-way guy.

People think Edler is some huge hitting truck but he makes like 1 big hit every like 10 games? He's not a physical presence.. Hell, the only 2 memorable hits i remember are the one he did on Kane (2011) and the one he did on Doughty (2010)

Gragnani was ANOTHER left side D man; behind Hammer, Eddie & Ballard. I suspect he was insurance to an expected Ballard (or Edler) trade?

With either of them not moved, what was the point keeping him? We also have Knot, an AHL all star left side PP guy who won their leagues hardest shot competition...

M A Gragnani was a good passer and had speed but his defensive skill lacked. He could of been a good fit on the powerplay with garrison.

Meh, never seen Garrison play so i'm not gonna make any judgments on him.. yet.

Edler isn't a 2-way defenseman.. He's purely an offensive defenseman, and an excellent one at that. He really sucks in his own zone, gives the puck away a lot and is super inconsistent. Wanna know what is concistent though? His offensive production. Sure, call him a two-way defenseman if you want, but he'd be a better offensive d-man than a 2-way guy.

People think Edler is some huge hitting truck but he makes like 1 big hit every like 10 games? He's not a physical presence.. Hell, the only 2 memorable hits i remember are the one he did on Kane (2011) and the one he did on Doughty (2010)

I think Garrison has developed himself into a fine Paul Martin type of player. The fact that he is so motivated to get rid of the one hit wonder is good news. Some players stop trying after they get a huge pay day, (Michael Grabner). Can't wait to see what he can do. He's paired with Edler right? So we pairing one of the highest goal scoring defencemens with the Canucks highest point total defencemen? Sounds awesome.

He was getting 1st unit powerplay minutes in Florida, that is a huge stat booster. If hes a 2nd pairing guy in Van with less PP time people shouldn't expect comparable stats to his last season.

Garrison is coming to an Elite team though with experienced line mates who have chemistry and a proven system, it will be very hard for him to fail in Vancouver. He has the potential to exceed like Ehrhoff did. It'll all depend on the opportunities AV gives him and also the amount of patience he shows for him. Look what happened to Ballard. I'm not saying that is what is going to happen to Garrison, but AV is known to judge players quickly. Like Hodgson, Grabner, Shirokov... Ballard.

Archived